Avoiding heebee jeebees

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Settler
Aug 8, 2010
here
laphroaig-10yrold.jpg

Harvestman

Bushcrafter through and through
May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
Realise that the nastiest thing in the woods at night is you. The only thing threatening you is your imagination.

I used to get scared at night, but I kept going out on my own in the dark anyway, and after a while, when nothing has happened, you relax.

Try going out when there's a fullish moon. There's a heck of a lot more light, and you can see quite clearly. That takes away a lot of the fear.

JAG009

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 20, 2010
Under your floor
If you are a bit unsure about solo camping ,try going for some night walks through the woods ,you will soon realise there is nothing to worry about.

Jason

Hun7er

Jun 14, 2009
Harrogate
Make sure you are well prepared, e.g you wont get wet if it rains, you have your touch and boots near and rap up warm so you dont get too cold.
if that doesn't help set your mind at ease then a couple of tots of rum or whiskey will.

matty1995

Mar 20, 2011
northern ireland
bring a teddy lol :p seriously though i found when i was i away from home (on my own) i thought about good things and sang to myself,this makes me sound like a psychiatric patient but it does work. also i would think if your on your own sleeping at night bring something to take your mind off the night like a book or mp3 player.

Biker

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
I find pretending that the zombies etc out there in the darkness aren't really there. Of course I'm kidding myself.

Hmmm somehow I don't think I'm helping much.

Seriously though there's a phrase that srings to mind that I often quote.

"That which we persist in doing becomes easier to do. Not that the nature of thing has changed, but our ability to do it has increased."

In other words the more you're out there the more used to it you'll become. Yeah those woods when it gets dark really bring that primitive man in your head to the forefront, it's just the fight or flight instinct kicking in.

Going with a mate has got to be a good option too... especailly if you can run faster than him, that way you know who the zombies will catch first. Hehehehheee

Squidders

Aug 3, 2004
Harrow, Middlesex
I have been staying out for years and years now and I still get spooked from time to time... not severely but every once in a while I feel the hair on the back of my neck go up and I feel uneasy.

If you get REALLY spooked, go back to basics... find a local campsite and solo camp there to get used to your sleeping arrangements and the noises of the area.

You are at the top of the food chain in the UK so that's something to comfort yourself with.

maddave

Jan 2, 2004
Manchester UK
I went out for a night in a small wood in inner manchester one evening to test out a hammock... The wife said "aren't you scared of townies and such" ..I said that the townies don't go in the woods at night because it's out of their comfort zone and scary things lurk in the woods at night..... Like what? she said...... I simply answered.......... ME!!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE