Avoiding heebee jeebees

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

The Big Lebowski

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 11, 2010
Sunny Wales!
You're not the one hanging around the lambing sheds at 3 am covered in birthing fluid and wondering what that noise was...

Good point, well presented :p

I always sleep light... even after a good skinful of various hip flasks and a good size group.

If i hear a noise, thats me awake for an hour.

Need to do this solo thing soon. I guess its just as important to find somewhere you feel really comfortable with the surroundings aswell. Spend lots of time there in the daylight, get to know the area, maybe even try having a kip for an hour or two on a weekend lunchtime as its now warming up...

al.

snozz

Dec 9, 2009
Otley
Like others have said, the noises you hear will be animals snuffling around, whether it be sheep, deer, foxes or badgers - and most seem to be able to make a hell of a noise for something so small!
Is there someone else you can go with or a meet you can go to to 'test the water'? Setting up at a meet but away from others may help.

Manacles

Settler
Jan 27, 2011
No longer active on BCUK
When I was a young Scout a Leader said that in a tent the first you knew some nutter really was outside it was the machete coming through the side, added escape would be nigh on impossible.

:yikes: said in jest but stayed with me a long time :(

a memory that still pops back to say hello occasionaly at inapropriate times:eek:

Hmmm, my GSL would be less than pleased if one of the Leaders said that to any of our Scouts...........

WolfCub

Forager
Aug 6, 2008
Bucks
Too true Manacles !

I'm a Leader myself now. There are several incidents/comments from that past Leader that I now use as 'what not to's'.

Manacles

Settler
Jan 27, 2011
No longer active on BCUK
Too true Manacles !

I'm a Leader myself now. There are several incidents/comments from that past Leader that I now use as 'what not to's'.

I'm pleased to say I never had that, but recently talked to a Cub leader who had been bullied by his leader when he was a Cub twenty years earlier. Shocking stuff. I'm glad we've moved on in Scouting since then.........

Miyagi

Aug 6, 2008
South Queensferry
Avoid the heebeejeebies by not going camping with JonathanD.

He attracts things that go scratch in the night, oh and has his bergan packed with snakes too... :D

Liam

Samon

Mar 24, 2011
Britannia!
I fully understand the fear at night while in the woods..it gets to me the worse when i hammock, the though of some 'sort' finding me suspended and sleeping like a soft stabable cacoon make me feel very uncomfortable. that and the badgers persistant fighting noises, literally sounds like they are under my hammock! All it would take is one stray claw to slash my hammock and release me unexpectadly from my nest and i'd be on top of sexually frustrated and feroicious t.b ridden badgers!

haha, one time our fire went out on a very very basic camp (no torches or electric stuff) just as my paranoia kicked in and i started to hear the badgers coming for me..i wont go in to detail..but i did end up in a tree holding my hatchet like a mad man..

zarkwon

Nomad
Mar 23, 2010
West Riding, Yorkshire
Just overcome your thoughts.

All that you hear is natural, enjoy it, it's all natural unless you're not far enough from the local doggin' site.

Obviously as there's no such thing as supernatural :) Something being natural doesn't mean it's not dangerous, ask any mushroom picker. Bears are natural and so are axe wielding nutters. There may not be many about but that doesn't stop me imagining them. This helps though :)
http://www.airgunbuyer.com/makeBig.asp?ID=1301&pic=0

Samon

Mar 24, 2011
Britannia!
Ive set up hammocks and tents really close to rough public paths and tracks often popular for dog walkers and cyclists all day. the deeper im in the woods the safer i feel (less likely the axe man will find and/or kill me..) .

mrmike

Sep 22, 2010
Hexham, Northumberland
I fully understand the fear at night while in the woods..it gets to me the worse when i hammock, the though of some 'sort' finding me suspended and sleeping like a soft stabable cacoon make me feel very uncomfortable. that and the badgers persistant fighting noises, literally sounds like they are under my hammock! All it would take is one stray claw to slash my hammock and release me unexpectadly from my nest and i'd be on top of sexually frustrated and feroicious t.b ridden badgers!

haha, one time our fire went out on a very very basic camp (no torches or electric stuff) just as my paranoia kicked in and i started to hear the badgers coming for me..i wont go in to detail..but i did end up in a tree holding my hatchet like a mad man..

Haha, I woke up on my first hammocking night out to this snuffling scratching noise- scared the carp out of me!! Finally got the courage to put a torch on the noise and found a badger making off with one of my boots!!!! Threw my hatchet at it and recovered my boot but couldn't sleep after that, every noise was a badger coming to exact it's revenge.......

Samon

Mar 24, 2011
Britannia!
Haha, I woke up on my first hammocking night out to this snuffling scratching noise- scared the carp out of me!! Finally got the courage to put a torch on the noise and found a badger making off with one of my boots!!!! Threw my hatchet at it and recovered my boot but couldn't sleep after that, every noise was a badger coming to exact it's revenge.......

haha! do your feet smell like bacon? im not a animal 'watcher' but i hear badgers and foxes are easily spooked..but when they are killing/rapeing eachother and im left shaking in my hammock banging my knife on my drinks flask they wont f' off! tried playing the ring tones on my phone too..hopeing it would scare them off but i think it made them more enthusiastic with eachother!

mrmike

Sep 22, 2010
Hexham, Northumberland
haha! do your feet smell like bacon? im not a animal 'watcher' but i hear badgers and foxes are easily spooked..but when they are killing/rapeing eachother and im left shaking in my hammock banging my knife on my drinks flask they wont f' off! tried playing the ring tones on my phone too..hopeing it would scare them off but i think it made them more enthusiastic with eachother!

Cheese, not bacon!!
Did shout at the badger but it wasn't at all bothered until the hatchet...
Think it wad a youngish Brock, made a bit of a mess of the boot (good job it was a cheapie pair).

Samon

Mar 24, 2011
Britannia!
ever tried setting up little bells on cord in areas that 'the axe man' might be prawling? could give a heads up for the bigger badder nasties of the forests. you could even do a home alone style set up with the marbles and paint cans on rope ;) haha even go as far to have cardboard cut outs of yourself being made to constantly move around the area.

i have..on occasion p'ed on the outer barrier of my little site to ward of the deadly badgers..not sure if it helps much but its worth a try, and its fun :)

mountainm

Bushcrafter through and through
Jan 12, 2011
Selby
www.mikemountain.co.uk
ever tried setting up little bells on cord in areas that 'the axe man' might be prawling? could give a heads up for the bigger badder nasties of the forests. you could even do a home alone style set up with the marbles and paint cans on rope ;) haha even go as far to have cardboard cut outs of yourself being made to constantly move around the area.

i have..on occasion p'ed on the outer barrier of my little site to ward of the deadly badgers..not sure if it helps much but its worth a try, and its fun :)

I think that kind of thing puts you on edge even more. What do you do if the bells ring? Get up? And there's nothing there? Sweet dreams....

Samon

Mar 24, 2011
Britannia!
I think that kind of thing puts you on edge even more. What do you do if the bells ring? Get up? And there's nothing there? Sweet dreams....

haha, well ive not done it for that exact reason, i prefer the stay as hidden as possible method.

Samon

Mar 24, 2011
Britannia!
If you stay hidden ! nobody can hear you scream!!!!!:yikes:

haha, i guess if the axe man saw a big fat slob like me in his one piece long johns scuffling around with a big stick and screaming like a girl he might even leave before doing things to me? hopefully though it doesnt just make him even more frisky..

Samon

Mar 24, 2011
Britannia!
I can't say I know of any normal situation where a badger has attacked someone.

My uncle had his left hand bitten by badger when clearing out an old space under his shed, it wasnt just a nip either his little finger and a part of his hand underneath it were hanging off. after a botched attempt of fixing it himself (like a numpty) he had to be rushed to hospital for surgery and treatment to the infections. but that is the only 'attack' ive heard of.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE