Zombie Knives hitting the news - what's your views?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Oakleaf

Jun 6, 2004
Moray
I'm heartened and wary in equal measure that this thread hasn't gone nuclear. A good range of views expressed quite well.

Its an area I've commented upon previously and I'm wary that it is a generally contentious theme.

Wayne put it very well in my view. Objects are objects. How they are utilised is a subject of choice by a person and it is mis-use/ poor choice that is the crux of the problem, not the item per se. I'm sure I wrote previously of a Chicago Police friend who related how back several decades ago the city perceived it had a knife problem, tight legislation was applied and there was dismay to discover there was actually a stick problem. Controls applied again and who'd a thunk it - turned out it was a baseball bat ( sports equipt ) problem and so on and so forth. Guess those inanimate objects were just slow learners he said... some street officers voiced a view that maybe it was a gang problem - but what did they know....

We can legislate from now until literal doomsday and fritter away rights, freedoms and choice - until the focus is correctly applied to the relevant problem, the solutions tends to be ineffective. People need to be held responsible for their actions, themselves, their society. Responsible behaviour rewarded and irresponsible behaviour properly 'consequenced'. That runs from top to 'bottom' of society and is anyone surprised we have a defective society?

tsitenha

Nomad
Dec 18, 2008
Kanata
To be serious, they are like fashion, some time ago it was fantasy blades (geeks mostly), now the zombie, they are a passing fad. What is to worry is that the elements that are possessing them are of different ideology, as a status symbol they may be used with less inhibition. The quality, colour, shape, style, is irrelevant, what does matter is the mentality of the owners. Too much stress in today's society, like a zipper once released hard to close until it come to an end.

Baelfore

Life Member
Jan 22, 2013
Ireland
Fair enough. :)

Not one to miss a sales opportunity... you're in Ireland and there are lots of rivers and streams over there... would you be interested in purchasing a bridge?

London_Bridge_circa_1870.jpg

One careful owner since new... sturdily built and it comes with some fetching gas lamps (although I'm reliably informed said gas lamps may need renovating a little)

:lmao: HA! love it!:lmao:

dewi

May 26, 2015
Cheshire
I was going to bid but realized I couldn't afford the shipping, it did come with the water yes?

Unfortunately I can't sell the water with the bridge. I'd like to, but transporting a body of water that is 215 miles long wouldn't be practical, although I am more than happy to include a litre bottle of the water. This bottle, when analysed, will reveal the pollutants and microscopic life present in the water should you wish to recreate it to accompany your newly purchased bridge. I'm all about that authentic experience when it comes to bridge sales.

Having received a private message from another prospective purchaser, I do need to clarify that the surfacing of the bridge at the time this photo was taken was indeed cobble stones, but these were removed the last time the bridge was relocated and sadly can not be included in this sale.

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Dewi are you sure you'll be able to deliver as I heard that all your transport was busy next week what with the Blackpool (and its Parisian copy) towers heading of for scrap and also you have more Bournmouth sand heading off to Saudi Arabia?

Sent via smoke-signal from a woodland in Scotland.

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
BIITEOTB:

0130452545402150463.jpg

Nobody is denying it's prettyness what we were discussing was suitability for purpose. The earlier blade you showed with the blade you breakers would be blinking hard to wield and use. Those catchers would make it more difficult than a plain blade. Used to practice marshal arts and a bit of re-enactment and the skill level to catch ones opponents blade in those would be very, very high.
But I'm with you on them looking pretty on a stand.

tsitenha

Nomad
Dec 18, 2008
Kanata
Recently someone uncovered a bottle of what appeared to be beer over 150 yrs old. Alexander Keith I think, they had it chemically analyzed then as all Canadians would do (they drink anything) they used a syringe to extract some of the contents. Verdict it was ale, a bit tainted but drinkable never the less.
So just to get it straight it would be a large bottle of water?

Unfortunately I can't sell the water with the bridge. I'd like to, but transporting a body of water that is 215 miles long wouldn't be practical, although I am more than happy to include a litre bottle of the water. This bottle, when analysed, will reveal the pollutants and microscopic life present in the water should you wish to recreate it to accompany your newly purchased bridge. I'm all about that authentic experience when it comes to bridge sales.

Having received a private message from another prospective purchaser, I do need to clarify that the surfacing of the bridge at the time this photo was taken was indeed cobble stones, but these were removed the last time the bridge was relocated and sadly can not be included in this sale.

tsitenha

Nomad
Dec 18, 2008
Kanata
Now just so no one accuses of us of derailing thread; soon after they consumed the ale it seems they turned into zombies....does anyone have a knife handy?

Klenchblaize

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 25, 2005
Greensand Ridge
Nobody is denying it's prettyness what we were discussing was suitability for purpose. The earlier blade you showed with the blade you breakers would be blinking hard to wield and use. Those catchers would make it more difficult than a plain blade. Used to practice marshal arts and a bit of re-enactment and the skill level to catch ones opponents blade in those would be very, very high.
But I'm with you on them looking pretty on a stand.

What I meant to say was prettiness and functionality are in the grey matter of the beholder but P&FAITGMOTB seemed an abbreviation too far!

That Rod Chappel (Davis Knives BGC) design is my childhood dream knife and 57 years later still is.

I was kinda wondering the same thing. especially on what looks like a skinning blade?

That is called a sub hilt fighter, but you surely could skin with it as well if you were into such things. Do an image search for "Loveless sub hilt fighter" and you will see some of the (rare and pricey) masterpieces of fantasy knives. Any collector would love to own one.

Last edited:

Laurentius

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 13, 2009
Knowhere
Ludicrous. How on earth would you define them in the legislation?

One man's billhook is another man's 'zombie killing knife'. Is my sickle going to be banned as well because it is a long curved blade?

I doubt it, unless it has a purposeless serated edge and a fancy label on it, declaring it a zombie killer. Serious tools will remain serious tools, in demand and sold for agricultural purposes, same as you can buy and carry a set of Chef knives if that is your line of work.

dewi

May 26, 2015
Cheshire
So yet again, rather than getting to the root of the problem, an outright ban that only effects those who legally collect. And I'm sorry, but the Lib Dem who said:

“The sale of so called zombie and long-bladed knives has no practical purpose other than the pursuit of violence. A complete prohibition on their sale could not come sooner.”

...needs her head examined.

Many other bladed weapons come under the same description as these 'zombie knives' such as collector fantasy pieces... so now innocent collectors are banned? Those who collect historic replicas... but what is the bet it doesn't apply to the weaponry on the walls of the landed gentry.

Idiots. Self-important jumped-up know-it-all idiots without the common sense one might attribute to a dung beetle.

Lets hope gangs don't start wielding knitting needles in their online taunts.... blimey, how would I get my Christmas woolly jumper?

HillBill

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 1, 2008
W. Yorkshire
Banning things designed, marketed and sold as weapons.... these are being actively marketed to kill zombies, while not real, is just another name for humans. It was always going to happen.

So are they banning a shape of edged implement or banning wording on advertising?

tsitenha

Nomad
Dec 18, 2008
Kanata
What will happen to the existing ones, will they be confiscated by a house to house search? Or surrendered to police? Or just don't take them out of the house? Do you think that there will be a run on the available knives as the run on guns in the US?

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE