Zombie Knives hitting the news - what's your views?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

dewi

May 26, 2015
Cheshire
Dewi, I'm not offended, I'm saddened by the whole issue. You're wrong though about nobody being killed by replica guns and blades, it's usually the d*&khead waving it around.

Michael Howard brought in our ill conceived, kneejerk gun laws after, I believe the incident in Dunblane. The result now is that it has never been easier for criminals to get their paws on firearms, whilst our long suffering Olympic shooting team has to train abroad. I can see something like that happening with this issue.

We can't legislate against one type of blade over another, but we can legislate sales and marketing. The idiots will always find some kind of weapon to wave at each other.

Not trying to offend CK, just pointing out the obvious... when was the last death with a replica firearm?

Blades are another situation all together because how do you distinguish a zombie-killer from a machete? But I hazard a guess that there hasn't been a death with a specific zombie-killer. Would be happy to be proved wrong as it would highlight just how stupid these individuals are... but there is a world of difference between making a video to taunt and actually using a weapon. One is a taunt, the other a crime.

We as a nation need to concentrate on actual crime... not prosecuting and jailing someone for a drunken comment on Twitter ***.

Last time I checked, we were s'posed to have privileges afforded to us (I won't say rights as a right can't be taken away) and if we have the free speech privilege still... let them make all the YouTubes they want... but if they venture on the street with a fixed blade above 3.5"... the law should do its job. End of.

dewi

May 26, 2015
Cheshire
Be careful what you suggest. I don't know of actual prosecutions for criminal charges over here (as in charging and prosecuting bartenders or off licensees) for the conduct of a drunken customer; but they (the bartenders and off licensees) do indeed get sued in civil suits if they sell to someone who was already over the limit. Indeed, they often get sued by those very customers for damages.

Please don't be offended by this Santaman because what I'm about to say has happened over here as well... but you come from a country where a burglar can sue for injuring themselves whilst attempting to break into someone else's property.

The law is an @ss... does that make it the right thing to do?

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Please don't be offended by this Santaman because what I'm about to say has happened over here as well... but you come from a country where a burglar can sue for injuring themselves whilst attempting to break into someone else's property.

I'm not at all offended; rather I'm saddened because I agree with you. Mind, it's not as easy or as prevalent as the media makes it seem but more than prevalent and easy enough. My point was be careful what you wish for. When I left the UK such frivolous suits were unthinkable there. Now I'm not so sure.

No danger of offending anyone with that dewi - we all know what a litigious society we have. However, while technically possible that particular travesty rarely happens because of the expense of lawyering up - while suing Appleby's for not cutting you off is quite doable because if you have a good case a lawyer may take it on contingency. But yes basically if you can afford a lawyer you can sue anyone for anything - this pretty much divides America into 2 kinds of people - Those who can afford a (skilled) lawyer and those who can't. Or is it lobbyist?

Last edited:

Countryman

Native
Jun 26, 2013
North Dorset
They should probably ban all small knives. After all they are more concealable.

When you think at how many people, particularly young people are killed every year in knife related murders the availability of knives it's just not acceptable in a modern society. They are an anachronism.

Mind you when you think that those guys who tried to hack off Drummer Lee Rigby's head they used quite a big kitchen knife so perhaps some kind of licensing for chefs is in order. We will make them show they have good reason to own big knives and undertake medical checks to ensure their medical and mental health aren't compromised. We could sweep up anybody who feels they need a knife into the same regime. Similar licensing is priced at about £65 for 5 years.

Nobody in the general public needs a knife. Every local shop sells sliced meat and grated cheese.

That will stop all the stabbings and deaths and our police will be safer in doing their duty.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Corso

Aug 13, 2007
none
Be careful what you suggest. I don't know of actual prosecutions for criminal charges over here (as in charging and prosecuting bartenders or off licensees) for the conduct of a drunken customer; but they (the bartenders and off licensees) do indeed get sued in civil suits if they sell to someone who was already over the limit. Indeed, they often get sued by those very customers for damages.

Its already half way here The Licensing Act 2003 and they don't even have to have done anything wrong

Sale of Alcohol to a Person who is Drunk

Section 141 makes it an offence to sell or attempt to sell alcohol to a person who is drunk, or to allow alcohol to be sold to such a person on relevant premises.

Subsection 2 applies to:

• any person who works at the premises in a capacity, whether paid or unpaid, which gives him the authority to sell the alcohol concerned;
  • the holder of a premises licence in respect of the premises;
  • the designated premises supervisor (if any) under such a licence;
  • any member or officer of the club which holds a certificate who at the time the sale (or attempted sale) takes place is present on the premises in a capacity which enables him to prevent it; and
  • the premises user in relation to the temporary event notice in question.
This section applies in relation to the supply of alcohol by or on behalf of a club to or to the order of a member of the club as it applies in relation to the sale of alcohol.
A person guilty of an offence under this section is liable on summary conviction to a fine not exceeding level 3 on the standard scale.

and you can't buy your mate a pint eaither :D
Obtaining Alcohol for a Person who is Drunk

Under section 142 a person commits an offence if, on relevant premises, he knowingly obtains or attempts to obtain alcohol for consumption on those premises by a person who is drunk.
A person guilty of an offence under this section is liable on summary conviction to a fine not exceeding level 3 on the standard scale.
It is an offence for a drunk or disorderly person, without reasonable excuse, to fail to leave relevant premises when requested to do so by a constable or a person to whom s 143(2) applies, or to enter or attempt to enter such premises after that person has requested him not to do so [Stone's 8-19829Y].
See also section 91 of the Criminal Justice Act 1967 which makes it an offence to behave in a disorderly manner in a public place whilst being drunk. Any person found guilty shall be liable on summary conviction to a fine not exceeding level 3 on the standard scale.

another pointless law thats isn't enforced...

Laurentius

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 13, 2009
Knowhere
I have just been looking at some pictures on google, and whilst most of them seem to be useless fantasy items, there would appear to be a few genuine tools out there that have been rebranded with a splash or two of lime green paint to sell them to a market that most likely has no practical use for them. I am sure existing legislation can be used to control them, but I would like to see a stop to this nonsense before we see the Bear Grylls zombie slayer on sale in hardware stores, with a tasteful co-ordination of bright orange and lime green embellishments.

Samon

Mar 24, 2011
Britannia!
Hardly anything new is it?

Kids/morons see adult toys being flashed around in adult movies, tv, comics etc and want to have a go. The 'zombie' aspect is a phase that will pass, hopefully by people laughing them off the block for buying such junk or by them growing up under the supervision of adults who don't let their kids/morons behave like moronic kids. lol

Violence however won't stop because it's pretty darn normal. Sad but true. And restricting the sales even further of these crap things won't change human behavior, just the sort of crap they can swing around.

Jared

Sep 8, 2005
Wales
Expect to see machetes banned... and kukris and parangs. Hopefully, our sheath knifes will slip under the radar.

Sent from my GT-I9195 using Tapatalk

Can't see it happening.

What may happen is they ban the marketing of zombie knives, or whatever. Much like already regarding marketing knives as weapons.

Bit even then, Ka Bar's zombie line is just their regular knife lineup with neon green handles.

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Think the companies marketing these things will find that in the long term legislation will go against their particular brand of products. You just have to look at the likes of Cobray in the States and some of their range of firearms; the Streetsweeper, Ladies Home Companion and the Terminator all either got them into hot water or were outright banned due to names and how they were marketed. America which generally isn't shy about weapons that are offensive in nature or name couldn't stomach products like this, so it really can be a case of "seller beware" as they will put themselves in an untenable section of the market.
Plus its likely to just be a bit of a fad and once the market becomes bored with zombies them there will no longer be a fiscally viable selection of easily led folks to sell too. As long as there isn't a knee-jerk reaction in the meantime I reckon it'll all settle down and the zombie killers will go the way of other fads like badly made katanas, ridiculous Rambos and overly ornate barbarian broadswords.
Sent via smoke-signal from a woodland in Scotland.

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Think the companies marketing these things will find that in the long term legislation will go against their particular brand of products. You just have to look at the likes of Cobray in the States and some of their range of firearms; the Streetsweeper, Ladies Home Companion and the Terminator all either got them into hot water or were outright banned due to names and how they were marketed. America which generally isn't shy about weapons that are offensive in nature or name couldn't stomach products like this.....

Ummm. Cobra's still popular and thriving.

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Ummm. Cobra's still popular and thriving.

Aye Cobray may still be going but the Streetsweeper got legislated against and they took big hits financially and dropped the Terminator & LHC, partly due to how they were marketed and partly due to being pretty awful. Was just pointing out that the zombie stuff generally seems to being going the same way.

Jul 30, 2012
westmidlands
Aye Cobray may still be going but the Streetsweeper got legislated against and they took big hits financially and dropped the Terminator & LHC, partly due to how they were marketed and partly due to being pretty awful. Was just pointing out that the zombie stuff generally seems to being going the same way.

Well that's there problem then, marketing. They need to sugar coat them, with fantastical marketing. If they change there name to G.I. Joe, and market them as the bin laden pacifier, dark side foe, a the sexy lady gun there's no problem. Shoot a stormtroop in the face an there are no offended parties. They do already have zombue (stopper)

Zombie.jpg

Seems to be a secondary industry to the main manufacture, so th doe hold up your point about the naming the guns. You obviouly couldn't sell it as the shooting spree or the bambi killer, that would be bad!

So with these knives being from small manufacturers I can't see there being being problem

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida

I think we may be talking about different companies. Cobray vs Cobra. I'd never heard of Cobray and thought your first post was a typo until you repeated it here. Just looked them up. Looks like they market primarily long guns whereas Cobra primarily markets derringers.

That said, from what I can find the Street Sweeper is still available and is currently in an improved version (whatever that means) It appears not much different from other niche shotguns on the market; not especially practical or well made but still legal (some models requiring a class 3 license and others not)

Last edited:

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Class three licence is the same as Destructive Device yes? I know the S.S. was classed as one and it pretty much killed its market share.
Must admit the assumption of spelling mistake went both ways on the Cobra/ Cobray, I'd done the.same thing though I did know of Cobra. :D
Anyway I suppose we should really shelved the talk of firearms outside of fairgame section. I'd just brought it up as an example of how when potentially dangerous items are badly marketed that it doesn't bode well for them.

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
..... I'd just brought it up as an example of how when potentially dangerous items are badly marketed that it doesn't bode well for them........

goodjob And a good example it was too. But yeah, it's likely run far enough. Cheers.

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE