Zombie Knives hitting the news - what's your views?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Problem with these Zombie knives... is that they are designed/marketed as a weapon against the human form... The uk says all knives purpose built as weapons are illegal by default. Knuckle dusters, flick knives, bailsongs etc.... I can't even make a knife and call it a fighter legally. So its only a matter of time before "zombie" knives will be placed under that umbrella and be outright banned.

How do Bowie knives fit in there? He was a renowned knife fighter and the blade was designed for that purpose. Especially the brass backed ones. Does it have are"grandfather" rights? Also what about all the historical reproductions of swords & poleaxes and the likes. Just curious, is it just knives that come under this law?
By the way your designs are amongst those that epitomise the clean, elegant functionality I like.

Sent via smoke-signal from a woodland in Scotland.

last i checked it was still illegal to cause grievous bodily harm, assault and murder was definitely frowned on. Therefore any laws to ban a tool is just banning an inanimate object. We need to look beyond the tools that people use to do others harm. Why are young people arming themselves in our nations capital? What can we do to teach responsible knife and gun ownership? these are the difficult questions that politicians of all colours have failed to answer. Bans only ever effect the law abiding.

I almost agree with you, but then I consider the tremendous amount of gun violence in my country which seems to corelate directly to the relatively vast number of guns.

On the other hand violent crime has trended down (here) in the last decade or so despite lax gun laws - which I attribute to video games. Get all of your young men an X box and fewer of them will be on the streets - they'll be on their parent's couch instead. Much easier public policy goal than jobs and education.

Last edited:

mrcharly

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 25, 2011
North Yorkshire, UK
Are you sure about that one mark?
I have daggers and swords and i'm pretty sure i'v seen trench knives and such for sale recently
It is illegal to carry *anything* for the purpose of self-defence.

I think only flick knives, knuckledusters and butterfly knives are illegal to buy and sell. If owned before the ban, you can keep in your own home.

IMO, the law doesn't need tightening. As monsieur goat stated, ejits will always fixate on something. Ban zombie knives and the fashion will be for scalpels, and so on.

Oct 30, 2012
Eseex
Problem with these Zombie knives... is that they are designed/marketed as a weapon against the human form... The uk says all knives purpose built as weapons are illegal by default. Knuckle dusters, flick knives, bailsongs etc.... I can't even make a knife and call it a fighter legally. So its only a matter of time before "zombie" knives will be placed under that umbrella and be outright banned.

Thats not strictly correct Mark, there are a list of "specified weapons" (knuckel dusters/balisongs etc) that are prohibited and have extra conditions of ownership, but there is no general restriction on owning knives made for offense; baynonets/swords/daggers etc are not illegal per se, although the usual laws around offensive weapons/points & blades apply.

The list of specified weapons can be found here;

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploa...and_offensive_weapons_information_GDS_FAQ.pdf

There is some further legislation around the use of selling knives described as "combat", but i can't remember what it is as its very rarely used by the police.

Oct 30, 2012
Eseex
My view is the same as several others here, we don't need more laws. We have more than enough to deal with these kind of issues.

Op Trident became SC&O8 - Trident gang Crime Command in 2013....

Klenchblaize

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 25, 2005
Greensand Ridge
If I attended the next Bushmoot with one of these strapped to my hand-crafted leather belt would I be welcome or shown the exit gate?

model-12E-sptmn.jpg

:pirate:

sunndog

May 23, 2014
derbyshire
It is illegal to carry *anything* for the purpose of self-defence.

I think only flick knives, knuckledusters and butterfly knives are illegal to buy and sell. If owned before the ban, you can keep in your own home.

IMO, the law doesn't need tightening. As monsieur goat stated, ejits will always fixate on something. Ban zombie knives and the fashion will be for scalpels, and so on.

Not quite sure why you quoted me there. but yes, you are correct mate
There are some other items on the list as redbranchwarrior has posted

Paul_B

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
My only reason for mentioning them was to get the bushcrafter's view on the knives, are they or should they be illegal thus banned from sale in or to a UK customer and do they change the views of more legitimate knife ownership.
I think consensus is no new laws are needed just a enforcement of existing. Stupid knives are just that. Stupid people are just that owning such knives and indeed being in gangs posing on YouTube so you can be identified is just a good way of identifying you as stupid.

Caveat being one guy left.school with 10 GCSEs another was doing computer science at uni. That was half of those jailed for 20 years for the assault mentioned where they hunted a rival gang member using YouTube video clip for id. The actual person doing the stabbing was the man who got 10 GCSEs.

There's a lot of good posts and commonsense here. Can I just raise one slight misgiving I have. Before posting I searched the forum for a few terms relating to this in case a thread was already started. What did come up was a a few established members talking about knives being a good one for killing zombies or similar comments. I know it's humour but does it not play into image of bushcraft being sad blokes obsessed with knives and the upcoming breakdown in society which they'll survive. Not a vibrant group with a varied interest in nature, self sufficiency, traditions crafts, etc. Personally I feel bushcrafter are an interesting and knowledgeable group but daft comments about buying a zombie killer when they really mean a proper quality type of machete for a legitimate job they have to do. Knives are tools capable of good and harm not toys or something to joke about killing cartoon creatures. Just my view.

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
My only reason for mentioning them was to get the bushcrafter's view on the knives, are they or should they be illegal thus banned from sale in or to a UK customer and do they change the views of more legitimate knife ownership.
I think consensus is no new laws are needed just a enforcement of existing. Stupid knives are just that. Stupid people are just that owning such knives and indeed being in gangs posing on YouTube so you can be identified is just a good way of identifying you as stupid.

Caveat being one guy left.school with 10 GCSEs another was doing computer science at uni. That was half of those jailed for 20 years for the assault mentioned where they hunted a rival gang member using YouTube video clip for id. The actual person doing the stabbing was the man who got 10 GCSEs.

There's a lot of good posts and commonsense here. Can I just raise one slight misgiving I have. Before posting I searched the forum for a few terms relating to this in case a thread was already started. What did come up was a a few established members talking about knives being a good one for killing zombies or similar comments. I know it's humour but does it not play into image of bushcraft being sad blokes obsessed with knives and the upcoming breakdown in society which they'll survive. Not a vibrant group with a varied interest in nature, self sufficiency, traditions crafts, etc. Personally I feel bushcrafter are an interesting and knowledgeable group but daft comments about buying a zombie killer when they really mean a proper quality type of machete for a legitimate job they have to do. Knives are tools capable of good and harm not toys or something to joke about killing cartoon creatures. Just my view.

Just because someone has qualifications doesn't mean they're not stupid. I've known some people who are very clever on paper but I wouldn't leave them unattended with a pair of safety scissors.
I think that most of the folk who I've seen mentioning "zombie killers" on here have done so with tongue firmly implanted in their cheek. It's just being used as a fun cultural reference point.

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
I almost agree with you, but then I consider the tremendous amount of gun violence in my country which seems to corelate directly to the relatively vast number of guns.

On the other hand violent crime has trended down (here) in the last decade or so despite lax gun laws - which I attribute to video games. Get all of your young men an X box and fewer of them will be on the streets - they'll be on their parent's couch instead. Much easier public policy goal than jobs and education.

Actually gun crimes have been going down for the past two decades and are at low that hasn'r been seen since the 1960s. www.cnn.com/2013/05/08/us/study-gun-homicide

At the same time gun ownership has been steadily going up and mandatory prison sentences getting longer. While the article points out that there's no consensus on why this trend my own personal belief is that the factor most contributing is our aging population (we're just growing out of 20 to 35 year old age group statistically most likely to commit violent crimes) Likewise while longer prison sentences don't have to create a deterrent crime or recitivism in and of themselves, they do keep the offender off the streets until he/she has "aged" out.

Last edited:

Wildgoose

May 15, 2012
Middlesex
They are a bit like the samurai swords you see for sale at outdoor shows. Cheap, blunt, poorly designed. I wouldn't want to face someone armed with one, but I'd be more scared facing someone with a sharp well made blade, like a £5 mora.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE