Zombie Knives hitting the news - what's your views?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

dewi

May 26, 2015
Cheshire
My only reason for mentioning them was to get the bushcrafter's view on the knives, are they or should they be illegal thus banned from sale in or to a UK customer and do they change the views of more legitimate knife ownership.
I think consensus is no new laws are needed just a enforcement of existing. Stupid knives are just that. Stupid people are just that owning such knives and indeed being in gangs posing on YouTube so you can be identified is just a good way of identifying you as stupid.

Banning won't work... not when all you need to make a blade is a chunk of metal and a method of sharpening it.... or alternatively just grab a knife from the kitchen drawer. The gang violence doesn't get solved by eliminating the tools they use because without the access to knives, what stops them turning to blunt objects, house bricks or glass bottles? Enforcing isn't particularly effective either because the police haven't the time to trawl through YouTube or search every gang member... besides, the little princesses would complain their rights to privacy were being attacked if the police aggressively targeted them.

There's a lot of good posts and commonsense here. Can I just raise one slight misgiving I have. Before posting I searched the forum for a few terms relating to this in case a thread was already started. What did come up was a a few established members talking about knives being a good one for killing zombies or similar comments. I know it's humour but does it not play into image of bushcraft being sad blokes obsessed with knives and the upcoming breakdown in society which they'll survive. Not a vibrant group with a varied interest in nature, self sufficiency, traditions crafts, etc. Personally I feel bushcrafter are an interesting and knowledgeable group but daft comments about buying a zombie killer when they really mean a proper quality type of machete for a legitimate job they have to do. Knives are tools capable of good and harm not toys or something to joke about killing cartoon creatures. Just my view.

That is a bit of a bizarre argument... so its inappropriate to make jokes about hefty tools because some daft kids are abusing said tools? By that logic we should refrain from joking about knives ever because you can be sure some gang members will be carrying bushcrafty knives... we should refrain from joking about camouflage clothing, because gang members wear it sometimes... and we should have no humourous discussions involving boots, SAKs, gaffa tape, any sort of chain, axes, hammers, bow saw blades, tin cans, bottles, wooden stakes, rope, camouflage netting or 4x4 vehicles.

We shouldn't have to alter our humour or our discussions... if someone who is hard of thinking can not see the difference between a humourous bit of banter and gang warfare, they are the ones with the issue... and it doesn't reflect at all on the people who use knives for what they're meant for.

Personal opinion, if these gangs are only targeting each other... let them get on with it... if they're stupid enough to be killing each other over an argument on YouTube, that is natural selection as far as I'm concerned. As for their tool of choice... if we're banning everything they use to kill each other, that list in italics above is what we need to ban. :rolleyes:

Adze

Native
Oct 9, 2009
Cumbria
www.adamhughes.net
Actually gun crimes have been going down for the past two decades and are at low that hasn'r been seen since the 1960s. www.cnn.com/2013/05/08/us/study-gun-homicide

At the same time gun ownership has been steadily going up and mandatory prison sentences getting longer. While the article points out that there's no consensus on why this trend my own personal belief is that the factor most contributing is our aging population (we're just growing out of 20 to 35 year old age group statistically most likely to commit violent crimes) Likewise while longer prison sentences don't have to create a deterrent crime or recitivism in and of themselves, they do keep the offender off the streets until he/she has "aged" out.

Lots of information available about the decline in violent crime and the removal of tetraethyl lead from petrol (gasoline for our 'merkin' cousins)

https://www.google.co.uk/?gws_rd=ssl#safe=off&q=tetraethyl+lead+correlation+with+violent+crime

Granted correlation isn't causation, but it's quite staggeringly coincidental.

Baelfore

Life Member
Jan 22, 2013
Ireland
Meh, the "Zombie" weapons thing has been begging to get the cold light of day on it for a while now with teenage losers buying spazzy knives and machetes that have very little discernible real world use.

This is very true.
From personal experiance, about ten years ago I bought a "machete" for £5-8ish(? dirt anyway), because it was recomended in "zombie survival guide" and that was what mysellf and the lads were 'in to' at the time. Years later, when actually trying to use the THING (only name that object deserved) to split some small kindling, it bent at almost a 90 degree angle on the first strike! my very fist home made knife batoned bettler with a 7.5cm blade! It soon replaced with an Ontarion knives model.(much more functional!) ;)

On the other hand, 'zombie survial' from when I was 18 is what eventually lead me into bushcraft (which has become my every bit of free time!), rather that mugging people with riduculus swords, so I can't give out too much lol!

atb
Ste

dewi

May 26, 2015
Cheshire
This is very true.
From personal experiance, about ten years ago I bought a "machete" for £5-8ish(? dirt anyway), because it was recomended in "zombie survival guide" and that was what mysellf and the lads were 'in to' at the time. Years later, when actually trying to use the THING (only name that object deserved) to split some small kindling, it bent at almost a 90 degree angle on the first strike! my very fist home made knife batoned bettler with a 7.5cm blade! It soon replaced with an Ontarion knives model.(much more functional!) ;)

On the other hand, 'zombie survial' from when I was 18 is what eventually lead me into bushcraft (which has become my every bit of free time!), rather that mugging people with riduculus swords, so I can't give out too much lol!

atb
Ste

In fairness though, your zombie-themed machete wasn't designed to split kindling... it was designed specifically to forcibly remove the rotting flesh from the recently arisen undead.

Expecting said machete to do anything else is the equivalent of expecting this...

431-9082_PI_1000010MN

...to do a good job of bringing your Nissan Micra to the high sheen it once had when it sat in the car showroom.

To give your zombie-themed machete the true test it deserves, you'll need a virally infected European gypsy moth caterpillar combined with Toxoplasma gondii infected rat... and a willing participant who is happy to be initially infected, killed in a manner that leaves the body intact for further testing, then allowed to rise again with the help of the aforementioned diseased specimens. At this point, to avoid an wide outbreak, you may wish to contain the willing participant whilst you have at it with your zombie-themed machete. If the machete bends, breaks or is entirely ineffective against your representation of a zombie, you can then deservedly call it a 'thing'.

Last edited:

Baelfore

Life Member
Jan 22, 2013
Ireland
While your reply is very entertaining, it was purchased from a "military surlplus" online store in ireland that has long since ceased trading and was not in any way advertised as a zombie anything, but as an 18" 'genuine' Machete (you'd the inverted commas would have raised some flages!) and was the same design and shape as the ontario, but about 2mm thick. and as for the quality of the steel, I would agree with you, it MOST DEFINETLY WAS NOT designed to split kindling!:lmao::rolleyes:

my point was merely that it was bought becasue it was suggested in a zombie book. (meaning I was ovibiously very suseptable to suggestion when I was younger!):p

In fairness though, your zombie-themed machete wasn't designed to split kindling... it was designed specifically to forcibly remove the rotting flesh from the recently arisen undead.

Expecting said machete to do anything else is the equivalent of expecting this...

431-9082_PI_1000010MN

...to do a good job of bringing your Nissan Micra to the high sheen it once had when it sat in the car showroom.

To give your zombie-themed machete the true test it deserves, you'll need a virally infected European gypsy moth caterpillar combined with Toxoplasma gondii infected rat... and a willing participant who is happy to be initially infected, killed in a manner that leaves the body intact for further testing, then allowed to rise again with the help of the aforementioned diseased specimens. At this point, to avoid an wide outbreak, you may wish to contain the willing participant whilst you have at it with your zombie-themed machete. If the machete bends, breaks or is entirely ineffective against your representation of a zombie, you can then deservedly call it a 'thing'.

dewi

May 26, 2015
Cheshire
While your reply is very entertaining, it was purchased from a "military surlplus" online store in ireland that has long since ceased trading and was not in any way advertised as a zombie anything, but as an 18" 'genuine' Machete (you'd the inverted commas would have raised some flages!) and was the same design and shape as the ontario, but about 2mm thick. and as for the quality of the steel, I would agree with you, it MOST DEFINETLY WAS NOT designed to split kindling!:lmao::rolleyes:

my point was merely that it was bought becasue it was suggested in a zombie book. (meaning I was ovibiously very suseptable to suggestion when I was younger!):p

Fair enough. :)

Not one to miss a sales opportunity... you're in Ireland and there are lots of rivers and streams over there... would you be interested in purchasing a bridge?

London_Bridge_circa_1870.jpg

One careful owner since new... sturdily built and it comes with some fetching gas lamps (although I'm reliably informed said gas lamps may need renovating a little)

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Am I the only one who reads the thread title and thinks of Zombie knitting ? :dunno:

Big knives, big boys pretending to be big men…aye, always an excuse for a rammy that.

M

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
That is very true :D
Kind of unfortunate, but there it is.

A 'good' big knife, in skilled hands, is a very good tool. Pity that too many are total carp and the hands that are trying to use them haven't realised that they work best with a sharp brain behind them.

Ach, each to their own. Personally I think too many people under-rate good small knives and learning how to use them really well.

M

dewi

May 26, 2015
Cheshire
Am I the only one who reads the thread title and thinks of Zombie knitting ? :dunno:

Big knives, big boys pretending to be big men…aye, always an excuse for a rammy that.

M

Did somebody mention zombie knitting?

images

tsitenha

Nomad
Dec 18, 2008
Kanata
I was going to bid but realized I couldn't afford the shipping, it did come with the water yes?

Fair enough. :)

Not one to miss a sales opportunity... you're in Ireland and there are lots of rivers and streams over there... would you be interested in purchasing a bridge?

London_Bridge_circa_1870.jpg

One careful owner since new... sturdily built and it comes with some fetching gas lamps (although I'm reliably informed said gas lamps may need renovating a little)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE