Zombie Knives hitting the news - what's your views?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Paul_B

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
Operation Trident and the rise in gangs, gang culture and youth knife crime is in the news. Apparently part of what's happening is gangs are making YouTube videos taunting other, rival gangs. They are using the so called Zombie Knives as status symbols and to.threaten other gangs with in their videos. The police are.finding them stashed in alleyways and confiscating them too.

Now I know some on here talk about large knives as zombie killers but it is a bit different. These knives seem to be ridiculous shapes with cleaver sections and saw sections. Real pointless designs even ones with two blades sticking out the side of the handle such that the cutting edge is towards your hand but 45 degrees out if you follow my description. Pointless but being sold over the internet. Plus they're all bright, neon colours to decals and paracord leashes/woven straps. Basically they're being targeted at youths with an image to them.

I just wonder what you knowledgeable lot think about them. Should they even be made? BTW on c4 news a researcher ordered one from Amazon and got it delivered within 24 hours, without a signature on delivery and no age checks. EBay do the same, no age checks apparently. Should there be anything done? Do these knives have a valid use?

If you have any questions about what these knives are like put zombie knives into Google and select images. Some might be reasonable being just a type of machete but there's others that aren't. Very thin blades about a foot long, two blades sticking out opposite sides of the handle, etc.

Jared

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 8, 2005
Wales
Thought Operation Trident finished in '13
Ebay UK doesn't sell knives?
If the news researcher used a CC, then how does he know an age check didn't happen?
It seems to me reporting on these kind of issues is usually poor, and not based on reality.

I've painted billhooks and machetes bright colours, just for ease of seeing them in the field.

Last edited:
Feb 18, 2012
Bedfordshire
They are both truly dreadful and a waste of metal. Seen similar things on ebay as I am sure lots of people have under the guise of an axe, but any one with a mind to violence need only open the kitchen drawer.

Laurentius

Aug 13, 2009
Knowhere
Operation Trident and the rise in gangs, gang culture and youth knife crime is in the news. Apparently part of what's happening is gangs are making YouTube videos taunting other, rival gangs. They are using the so called Zombie Knives as status symbols and to.threaten other gangs with in their videos. The police are.finding them stashed in alleyways and confiscating them too.

Now I know some on here talk about large knives as zombie killers but it is a bit different. These knives seem to be ridiculous shapes with cleaver sections and saw sections. Real pointless designs even ones with two blades sticking out the side of the handle such that the cutting edge is towards your hand but 45 degrees out if you follow my description. Pointless but being sold over the internet. Plus they're all bright, neon colours to decals and paracord leashes/woven straps. Basically they're being targeted at youths with an image to them.

I just wonder what you knowledgeable lot think about them. Should they even be made? BTW on c4 news a researcher ordered one from Amazon and got it delivered within 24 hours, without a signature on delivery and no age checks. EBay do the same, no age checks apparently. Should there be anything done? Do these knives have a valid use?

If you have any questions about what these knives are like put zombie knives into Google and select images. Some might be reasonable being just a type of machete but there's others that aren't. Very thin blades about a foot long, two blades sticking out opposite sides of the handle, etc.

What I do know is that the tools that have been stolen from my shed have included 2 machetes, and 2 scythes, so I guess they are being stolen by small brains imagining that they have big dicks.

Wayne

Mod
Mod
Dec 7, 2003
West Sussex
www.forestknights.co.uk
last i checked it was still illegal to cause grievous bodily harm, assault and murder was definitely frowned on. Therefore any laws to ban a tool is just banning an inanimate object. We need to look beyond the tools that people use to do others harm. Why are young people arming themselves in our nations capital? What can we do to teach responsible knife and gun ownership? these are the difficult questions that politicians of all colours have failed to answer. Bans only ever effect the law abiding.

Bluebs4

Aug 12, 2011
Bristol
These So called zombie slaying knives are weapons full stop and i do agree that its glamorising knives in a bad light .

Dec 6, 2013
N.E.Lincs.
One of the problems is if the government totally bans the sale of these knives and we get a genuine zombie attack then someone is going to end up looking pretty stupid.

D.B.

Laurentius

Aug 13, 2009
Knowhere
One of the problems is if the government totally bans the sale of these knives and we get a genuine zombie attack then someone is going to end up looking pretty stupid.

D.B.

I think the real zombies are the brain dead eejits who are buying this junk.

Will_

Nomad
Feb 21, 2013
Dorset
I was shocked when Ka-Bar brought out a zombie series of knives. I thought it would make all their knives less credible but I guess enough Americans must love them. I doubt a big company like that would risk it otherwise.
Over here I don't think bladed weapons are appropriate but if they get banned gang members will only find something else to use as a weapon. It's already illegal to carry them right?
Stone jails and no prison food but gruel would fix a lot of problems in our country.

demographic

Apr 15, 2005
-------------
Meh, the "Zombie" weapons thing has been begging to get the cold light of day on it for a while now with teenage losers buying spazzy knives and machetes that have very little discernible real world use.

sunndog

May 23, 2014
derbyshire
I notice theres a "zombie" version of the tom brown tracker.......a knife thats finally found its niche :lmao:

To the op.....meh, if its not these it will be something else. We've got enough laws as it is
As it stands you cant advertise a knife in such a way as to suggest its good for hurting folks (battle orders) so what do you do, ban neon and mythical creatures?
these knives have always been around they were just called "fantasy" knives before, and were bought by the same grade of moron

Jul 30, 2012
westmidlands
He got a set didnt he, machette, hunting, throwing and daggar? I saw the news item, they said it was perpetuated by drugs, and those involved in the stabbing had already passed GCSEs with high grades so they are 16+ at least and they where driving cars, so underage isnt the problem.

Hollywoods fault, with there stab someone in the face because your a good guy. If I tried to sell drugs to kids I would be a pusher or pimp, but selling graphic moraless unrestrained violence to kids is the work of the creative arts. I you can sell guns for children in pink and blue and market them as zombie killers, your biggest problem isnt going to be ridiculous knives. Besides rediculous knives arnt anything new, posing people with humongous collections of extravagent knives has always gone on, i used to know one, just check out the maralyn manson crowd.:)

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
I used to get the Knives Digest annual and read through various blade magazines when I collected blades and old weapons but always lent towards the practical rather than the fanciful. Some of the more fantastical were entertaining to look at and certainly showed off the makers skills but would've been useless or downright dangerous to use. Its not a modern thing though. If you look at some of the ceremonial & funerarial blades made in Central America by the Incan & Mayan cultures they made unbelievable works of art from obsidian that beggar belief.
Then there are the movie based fantasy blades like the Klingon & general sword & sorcery confections that though useless have a lot of collectors. Even more seemingly useful things like the Rambo inspired blades are really just macho posturing that you really wouldn't want at your hip in a real situation.
So to me the "Zombie Killers" are just another sideshow in blade collecting. It is of concern if its encouraging folk to carry them with the intent to do someone harm, but then they could also do that with a kitchen knife or a pointy stick and existing legislation will deal with them.
There'll always be folk wanting to ornament their blades, its in the human genes I think. One of the most beautiful pieces of art to me is the ancient flint hand axe with the shell inclusion in the centre of one side. All that time ago and some stone age forebears took the time to makeep sure their axe/cutting tool was prettier than the other chaps. Ever since knives & swords have been imbued with character and status. Being tricked and pimped out to look nice.
Personally I favour plainer more workman like tools as I like the way they're well thought out and the more clean and stark lines they show. Still if it happens to be nice pattern welded steel with nice wood in the handle and a nice plain leather sheath I'm all the happier. :D
I also like billhooks a lot; I used them at work a lot and their shear strength & efficiency speaks to me, they also bring out my inner ork :rolleyes: Unfortunately they are being lumped in with various machettes into the ZK market which does cause me some concern as they may start to be perceived as weapons by L.E.O.'s and the general public rather than the quaint old tool that they appear to be to most at the moment.
There's always going to be something "fashionable" to ejits though, at one point it was cut-throat razors, butterfly knives or katanas we just have to try and enforce in folks heads that what we have are tools not weapons.

Sent via smoke-signal from a woodland in Scotland.

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Not sure about that:

I was meaning some of the more extreme ones though I still find little or no use for sawback/blade breakers along the spine of a general knife. Usually next to useless of more of a danger to the user than being useful.
Just my opinion though. Find them more of a hindrance than being of actual use.
(I sneekily hanker after a Chris Reeve Jerboam after all these years though :D )

Sent via smoke-signal from a woodland in Scotland.

HillBill

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 1, 2008
W. Yorkshire
Problem with these Zombie knives... is that they are designed/marketed as a weapon against the human form... The uk says all knives purpose built as weapons are illegal by default. Knuckle dusters, flick knives, bailsongs etc.... I can't even make a knife and call it a fighter legally. So its only a matter of time before "zombie" knives will be placed under that umbrella and be outright banned.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE