Trade knives - your thoughts

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

gra_farmer

Mar 29, 2016
Kent
Over the years, my passion for edged tools has seen me experience and handle a number of knives and edged tools.

The trade knife, both English and French pattern have always been a draw, but have never been able to find one.

Some pictures below show a few examples

edff7cc5e8b36079a2ff8ae868667600.jpg
a9452fbf2a446a12e63e9fe8406e8556.jpg
c1c63e7055acab7ba453c595fa22f8a7.jpg
4c651eab3b0b94767b20cabec5c2926a.jpg
e566475dff6e3329c9526243e7efbcd3.jpg
45ae2cc1480780d4cce1f0b938f51a74.jpg

One of these days I hope to get hold of one, of most likely have to make one, but for those that own a trade knife, what are your thoughts about them, what are there strengths and weakness, and your overall use of these blades.....camp work, food prep or a good all rounder?

Interested to see pictures and here about your experiences with these style of knives.

gra_farmer

Mar 29, 2016
Kent
If you're looking for the 3rd one, it's a Jeff White French trade knife.

Sent from my SM-A705FN using Tapatalk
I have been looking at the Jeff White knives, but do not know of a UK deal or site, can get quite pricey with import duties and postage

Forager
Sep 25, 2013
Scotland
www.instagram.com
I have been looking at the Jeff White knives, but do not know of a UK deal or site, can get quite pricey with import duties and postage
Oh I see sorry, I thought you couldn't find where to buy them at all. If you do fancy making your own, I've seen folk buying a brand of butchers knife called "Old Hickory" and cutting the shape that they want out of it. It should be fine if you make sure to keep it cool as you cut. You'll be able to make it nicer that the Jeff White ones. I've heard people complaining about that sharp ricasso being a bit dangerous.

Forager
Sep 25, 2013
Scotland
www.instagram.com
Those knives although pretty rough, are dirt cheap. I'm pretty sure customs duties are a percentage of the value of the parcel. If you want something handmade and not punched out by a machine, I'm not sure you could find a cheaper alternative.

Brizzlebush

Explorer
Feb 9, 2019
Bristol
That's a beauty Stew.
I don't know much about the style, but from what I've seen in this post, they look a lot like classic French cook's knives, beefed up for outdoor use? the first and 4th pics certainly.
Yours looks like a high sabre grind with a micro-bevel? How thick was the steel?

Stew

Bushcrafter through and through
Nov 29, 2003
Aylesbury
stewartjlight-knives.com
That's a beauty Stew.
I don't know much about the style, but from what I've seen in this post, they look a lot like classic French cook's knives, beefed up for outdoor use? the first and 4th pics certainly.
Yours looks like a high sabre grind with a micro-bevel? How thick was the steel?

Thanks. I really likethe size and shape. It’s 3mm or 3.2mm.
You have it right on the grind.

swotty

Apr 25, 2009
Somerset
I have one of Jeff White's knives very nicely made. I've had it some time but as I recall it came from Dave Canterbury's website.

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk

gra_farmer

Mar 29, 2016
Kent
Thats the issue, imports to UK equal silly customs fees and handling charges. If I was in the US, I would not have any issues.

As for the Old Hickory, I have been down that route already as their paring knife fitted the bill shape wise, but the finish on the one I ordered was really bad, so returned.

I think I may have found something....

Reactions: swotty

gra_farmer

Mar 29, 2016
Kent
They’re not far off from Argentinian gaucho knives. An all rounder for cleaning hooves, cutting steak, or settling an argument.
Nice recommendation, some of the ones I looked at are quite thin, it is the thicker blade stock that is needed for my needs and interest, but I like very much...

TLM

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 16, 2019
Vantaa, Finland
I have never used a knife with that profile for other than kitchen knife duties. How does a thicker and more robust version work as a general purpose camp or trekking knife? Is it a work horse in any configuration?

DocG

Dec 20, 2013
Moray
I have an old model Dave Canterbury smaller knife - can't recall the exact name but it was made by Blind Horse Knives - that is a trade knife pattern. It's about 5mm thick so is a bit of a beast... however, it does cut well despite its size. I've butchered a deer with it - not the neatest of jobs, but that was down to my lack of skill rather than the knife - and it makes effective try sticks. Delicate tasks like the cut outs of netting needles are a bit awkward but not impossible. It has a square spine and throws good sparks with a ferrorod and a flint as well as stripping bark effectively.
I don't like it as much as other knives but it certainly is able to do most jobs. The sheer bulk of the beast may mean that other versions under 5mm are more versatile and more like a butcher's knife for cutting meat etc.

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
If it's a "trade knife" that you wish to add, one old one, the Mocotaugan, is still made in Sheffield.

By 1750, your Hudson's Bay Company had the employ of all of the eastern and mid-western native tribe engaged in fur trapping.
The HBC was exporting barrels of these blades to eastern Canada. While some insist these are general purpose wood carving blades, they are not.
Used in the manner of a one-handed draw knife, the hafted blades were use to make canoe, snowshoe and pack frame parts from birch. If my Sheffield blade is any example, they are particularly crude steels, very frustrating to sharpen and use.

I have seen fewer than 50 Mocotaugan knives. At least half of those were not Sheffield blades.
Instead, the native indians would buy 6" mill files from the HBC. Working in a covered trench in the ground as a forge,
they would work the file into a substantial blade with robust qualities. Pre-1800 no less.

MocoI.JPG

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Thats the issue, imports to UK equal silly customs fees and handling charges. If I was in the US, I would not have any issues.

As for the Old Hickory, I have been down that route already as their paring knife fitted the bill shape wise, but the finish on the one I ordered was really bad, so returned.

I think I may have found something....
Be advised too that the Old Hickory blades are noticeably thnner nowadays than they were just 15 years ago.

gra_farmer

Mar 29, 2016
Kent
Be advised too that the Old Hickory blades are noticeably thnner nowadays than they were just 15 years ago.
I would that was the case....as could not understand what everyone was going on about?

Anyone have an older 'old Hickory' knife they want to move on?

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE