Wording of ‘zombie knife and machete’ ban being reported?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

minds_eye

Aug 30, 2011
South West UK
As everyone is being subjected to, I’m seeing a lot of messages around ‘ban of large zombie knives and machetes’.

I’d been tracking the zombie knife changes and, whilst it still seems pointless, I was confident it wouldn’t fall foul of it in any way. However, reporting seems to be suggesting a “ban of zombie knives and machetes”.

I’m struggling to find any legal statement or specific wording of it, other than the initial consultation, to understand how they’re defining machetes or whether it’s ‘zombie knives’ and ‘zombie machetes’.

The concern, I guess, is given I can’t source what they’re talking about here, that I don’t fully understand how machetes are being defined.

Does anyone have a link / more info about the machetes aspect of this?

Ta

Last edited:

rowen

Jul 8, 2004
Derbyshire
So my martindale machete I use in the garden won’t qualify?
I think I have billhooks that may though having more than one sharp edge.

jackorion

Sep 8, 2021
Exeter
So my martindale machete I use in the garden won’t qualify?
I think I have billhooks that may though having more than one sharp edge.
Not sure about the machete but I have plenty of billhooks and I'm not worried about this law change at all - the only time I'm ever likely to be found carrying a billhook is either whilst actively taking part in work (hedgelaying or conservation work) or on my way to work (I'm a countryside ranger) - I'm not going to be strolling down the high street with one hidden on my person

Laurentius

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 13, 2009
Knowhere
The way I read it, despite the confusing grammar is that it means zombie knives, and machetes that have saw backs, spikes and extra holes. How they will define "ninja swords" which is their next target is beyond me but for the time being I feel that there is nothing I need to hand in.

dwardo

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
I think they should have to provide a real life Zombie to test the bladed item on first. If not how do we know its a true Zombie killing knife?

Imagine if we swapped out the word Zombie for Unicorn? People would be rolling around laughing, what a knife for killing unicorns???

They are trying to legislate against "scary" knives and this cannot be done as "Scary" is a feeling and subjective. Such as new legislation in regards to hurty hurt feelings...

Can you imagine someone being cornered by several blokes in hoodies with no escape and suddenly they pull out a knife, but the knife is a steak knife from Nanod`s? Pheww I was really worried then as I thought you might have had a Zombie knife!!

When legislation such as this is open to such easy ridicule then its not fit or purpose.

Last edited:
Reactions: Billy-o and Toddy

ONE

Nov 21, 2019
N. Ireland
When legislation such as this is open to such easy ridicule then its not fit or purpose.
It may still result in you doing time. The ridiculousness notwithstanding.
I own an Emerson CQC7, it was sold to me, perfectly legally as a CQC7, had it been sold to me as a Close Quarter Combat (model) 7, it would have been illegal to sell and possess. Now that is ridiculous, but there you go.

MCNZ

Jul 1, 2020
Newcastle
As someone involved in the enforcement of these laws I think the new law is step forward. The old requirements for words or images inciting violence was a big hinderance in getting dangerous weapons out of the hands of dangerous people and getting them off the street. The reality is that any tool available to tackle the epidemic of youth violence is a help.

MCNZ

Jul 1, 2020
Newcastle
It may still result in you doing time. The ridiculousness notwithstanding.
I own an Emerson CQC7, it was sold to me, perfectly legally as a CQC7, had it been sold to me as a Close Quarter Combat (model) 7, it would have been illegal to sell and possess. Now that is ridiculous, but there you go.
I not sure I follow you, how is the name of the knife relevant to it's legal status?

MCNZ

Jul 1, 2020
Newcastle
My understanding is the it *could* mean that the knife would be defined as an offensive weapon, but the only weapons prohibited from sale are those specifically listed in the offensive weapons act eg curved swords, flick knives etc

Reactions: Wildgoose

hughtrimble

Jan 23, 2012
UK/France
View attachment 89799

Hmmmm, so where would billhooks like this fall, illegal item or a tool?

View attachment 89800
Reasonable thinking would have that as absolutely not a zombie knife. If you consider the circumstances in which that might be considered such, I'd reckon they'd be having you for other reasons, even if it was found in your shed.

But the only criteria it meets beyond the baseline is regarding it having two or more points (that might be considered to have three), but those points may be excluded:
(d) more than two sharp points in the blade other than —
(a) a sharp point where the angle between the edges which create the point is an
angle of at least 90 degrees (where there is a curved edge, the angle will be
measured by reference to the tangent of the curve);

hughtrimble

Jan 23, 2012
UK/France
What will happen when people start using, erm, "non-zombie", garden tools to attack each other?

Will garden tools be banned?
That's why this type of ban is always so reductive; it's already an offence to be out with any of these things without good reason, so it's almost certainly just political posturing. Be seen to be doing something which you know will have no additional impact, just to be seen to be doing something.

Reactions: Chris

Aristotle

Forager
Jan 13, 2010
NW England
That's why this type of ban is always so reductive; it's already an offence to be out with any of these things without good reason, so it's almost certainly just political posturing. Be seen to be doing something which you know will have no additional impact, just to be seen to be doing something.
That is my concern. Carrying a fixed knife in public already needs "good reason" and cutting or killing people with/without blades has been illegal for a very long time.

Reactions: Chris

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE