Wolves

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

RovingArcher

Need to contact Admin...
Jun 27, 2004
Monterey Peninsula, Ca., USA
Carcajou Garou said:
Gary, my sister is a seer and she confirmed what I had started to notice from encounters in my life who my "spirit guides" were, my "guides" made themselves known to me and all who were around me, it was almost painfully evident, but I was deaf and dumb to them, she just laught it off that I could not see it. The "guides" make themselves known to you in many ways you just have to look and listen in a different way, notice an animal doing something that is not its usual nature eg. speaking to you, socializing with you, etc... this would be repeated several times in different settings even when you are awake or asleep (they don't have to be the most physicly powerful because power comes from within and all have their own gifts to bestow) after a while you feel a common bond with it and would hear as in a (sub concious) voice or act, what wisdom it is trying to tell you. Or sometimes you can listen to a gifted elder or seer and they can point you on the right path ((offer a small gift to the elder or seer) (we use tobacco)). I wish RA would explain it better to you, he is a better "voice" than I, he can explain things easier I don't have that much talent in transfering my inner thoughts to my outside voice. Next time an animal comes close to you listen and look maybe it is trying to speak to you.
Squidders, you didn't get killed did you? from all the damage done you still have your humor and guile :super: guide: 1, car: 0
Guides come in all styles as I have mentioned to Gary.
just a confused thought :roll:

You don't need my words bro. You did just fine. If you all don't mind, I'll share some of my thoughts and experience with you.

A dream can tell you much. You can be awake, or asleep, or sometimes both when having a dream. In our dreams animals will come to us and speak, or they will come to your aid, or they will ask for your help. Anything out of the ordinary and you may be seeing, hearing or interacting with a spirit. Whether they will remain as your guide, I don't know. Also, sometimes it can be something as simple as how you feel inside when you see a certain animal and when the animal allows itself to be seen by you, what does it do? I have had many interactions with animals and some of them would be considered unbelievable if I were to share them with someone else.

Like Carcajou shared, I too, was and in many ways still am, numb to my guides. I learned just last year that the deer spirit is with me. How the deer is with me, I am still waiting to find out and how it happened completely surprised me and since it had occured, I have been reeling in great confusion about hunting deer. Not a good thing for a hunter to experience, but I know that for right now, my arrows will not cause harm to a deer, until it comes to me why things have happened the way that they have. I've dreamed of wolves and have a special feeling in me for them. The same with Bears. They have a special place in my heart. Whether they are my guides, only time and my willingness to see them will tell for sure.

I'd like to share an experience, yep, an almost unbelievable experience, but a true one to be sure. I believe that when an animal is helped, it will in turn help the helper. Pay back in this instance, is a blessing. Now whether that is a physical or spiritual manifestation is not for me to know. Since this experience, many of it's relatives have been visiting us here. Everyone see's them as pests, but I see them as something else. I do worry about my manx, mo. Last night he was sitting out front with three of them. I think he thinks they are buddies or something, but knowing that one full grown coon can tear a german shepard dog to pieces, I worry about him.

One night many years ago, I was visiting my beautiful mate at her work, which at the time, was as a night security/emt possition at the Monterey bay aquarium or more lovingly called, FISH PRISON. An alert went out as we sat talking with her boss that a raccoon had gotten into the building and was taking a dip with the bat rays. Everyone grabbed nets, poles, clubs, cages, etc. and went running for the bat ray pond. I mosied along behind becuse I didn't want to get in their way. When I arrived, the poor coon had climbed to the top of one of the large water pipes that lay against one of the walls and was growling and hissing while several persons were waving large weapon like objects towards it and yelling out orders or just jabbering in all the excitement. When I looked at the coon, it was looking right at me and stopped it's aggressive behavior. I felt it was asking for my help. It was obvious to everyone there that the coon had fixed on me and settled down some. At the same time someone spoke and said that they needed to call a professional to get the coon, as it was much too big and angry for them to handle and most of them left. I quietly asked my wife to open the door that was right next to us and hold it open from the outside. I looked at her boss and one other man and held up a hand, asking them to back off for a moment. I lowered my head, closed my eyes, held my palms towards the animal and my arms straight down to my sides. In my minds eye, I started seeing the animal climb down from the pipe and casually walk out the open door and disappear into the nights fog. I repeated the though several times and then felt my wife touch my hand with a warmth that was very pleasant. I opened my eyes and the raccoon was gone from the pipe and as I looked to my right, I barely was able to make him out as he disappeared into the nights fog. When I asked my wife what had happened, she said that almost right after I lowered my head, the raccoon responded by staring intently at me and she said it never took it's eyes off of me as it slid down the pipe and walked over to me. Then it sat up on it's hind legs and reached out with one of it's hand like paws and touched me on the boot, then walked out the door. Was it a dream? My wife remembers it and still talks about it while we are alone. She and her boss tried explaining it to the animal control officer and the other employees and they laughed, saying that isn't possible. Nobody can think an animal to do something. Was it a dream?

Please, don't think that I am blowing my own horn, trying to make myself look like I am special, because I am not. That is why I don't like to share some things, but truth is, a connection was made and in that connection, our CREATOR was and is present and brought me and that animal together. I believe that everyone can do it, so it's not special, but it is a spiritual connection and is, in my very limited understanding, the same connection or very similar, that would be experienced if the animal were your guide or a special friend on both the physical and spiritual plain.

Anyways, that is as close as I can come to explaining our special connection to the animals and their spirits and them to us and ours. Yep, it has to be a two way connection, so my belief says that when they are visiting and helping us, we are doing the same for them. We are learning from and helping each other. That is how it has always been and will be as long as our CREATOR and our brothers and sisters of the plant and animal peoples say it will be that way and as long as we, the humans, are willing to listen and see and learn and love.

Carcajou Garou

On a new journey
Jun 7, 2004
Canada
Saygo RA!!!! What a beautiful sharing you gave us, Nyah:Wen bro! Such sharings are powerful images in our understanding of the unlimited interaction with nature and our brother animals. I understand, that those who didn't experience this would find hard to accept, but it did happen :super: My wife was thrilled to hear that sharing, made her feel good.
Thruthful, honest you are, not boastful; I do not have an Eagle whistle to blow for you or it would be honouring you as I write, may Creator give you more of these experiences bro Nyah:Wen
just a thought

RovingArcher

Need to contact Admin...
Jun 27, 2004
For many cultures, the Raven is a very special bird. On the other hand, I've talked to a few Indian people that believe the Owl brings death in the night.

A comical experience with Ravens in Idaho on the Corte d Alene (spelling) reservation, I watched a Raven play with a group of dogs. The Raven swooped down and dropped pine cones on the dogs and then would fly down the road a piece. When the dogs ran after the bird, the Raven would circle back and eat their food. It happened every morning. The dogs would dodge the makeshift bomb and chase after the low flying bird, barking their fool heads off and the Raven would fly back and eat some of their food. When the Raven didn't show up one morning, the dogs moped around and wouldn't eat.

Gary

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 17, 2003
from Essex
Wolverine and RA - thank you both for sharing that with us. We in Britian are all to often removed form such spirituality but I think I am safe in saying that one of the things which draws many of us to bushcraft is knowingly or otherwise a wish to become more 'in tune' with such things.

Reading through you words I am now wondering if my Wolf encounter in Canada would be my spirit guide showing my the path to follow. It was after this encounter I became interested in Bushcraft at a much higher level, At the time I found it a magical experience and those that I have told of it will know it deeply moved me.

Even my dog likes like a arctic wolf!

Would you say this was my guide? If so how do I honour it and thanks it for guiding me? How do I contact it now?

Dave Farrant

Forager
Apr 16, 2003
Lancashire
Thank you Roving Archer,

That was the most uplifting post I have read in quite some time. Please keep them coming. Maybe you could start a thread or two along those lines as many people will miss the 41st post on a thread having lost interest a while back. Maybe I was right to persevere so as to benefit from the knowledge.

I was reading the thread as I saw a Wolf on Dartmoor many years ago when I was driving to a friend’s home. It was a moving experience. First I was scared by the size of the animal. Then I was amazed at how serene it was and indifferent to my presence (including the car). It was gone in a flash.

Anyhoo. Again I have to thank you for your contribution to the Thread.

:biggthump

Carcajou Garou

On a new journey
Jun 7, 2004
Canada
Saygo Gary, It is very possible that the wolf could be your spirit guide as he did make a change in your life, from what I am reading in this thread there are no longer any wolves in Great Britain so you are limited in exposure to each other. May I suggest that you could seek out a nature preserve or zoo with wolves in it? and see the interaction. If this works then you may be on your way, or if you do bushcraft trips in Scandanavia there should certainly be occassions for interaction, be patient, if it is to come then it will, we have a word for it here "Indian Time", as far as a thank you, for myself I would burn tobacco in honour of the wolf, I also leave food offerings at ceremony and extra meat in my field dressing "pile" and ask Creator for a closer relationship with your guide and maybe "adopt" a wolf (ves) at the zoo offer a supliment food source (with the keepers OK), just talk to them..listen
Saygo leon-1, the raven is a trickster, a very clever being sometimes not as wise as he portays but a master of illusions. Be careful what you ask for as you may get it. I have seen ravens flip over in flight and present only talons and beak to an eagle or hawk or other ravens as they swooped down, as far as I know only they can do this manuver, same bird get head pecked by a covey of small swallows as he tried to raid their nest, they swoop and turn and chase and while this is going away the other ravens find easier pickings at the nest site. As RA showed ravens are very clever and problem solve, so follows their spirit. They associate with wolves a lot and clean up after the wolf kills, have heard them leading wolf packs to stranded animals in the forest waiting for the eventual demise and cycle of life.
just a thought

Gary

Apr 17, 2003
from Essex
Many thanks Wolverine i will heed your words and seek then out - I will tell you what I find.

familne

Dec 20, 2003
Fife
Great posts Wolverine and RovingArcher, some of the best I've read on any forum, in fact I'm going to print them out :biggthump

Carcajou Garou

On a new journey
Jun 7, 2004
Canada
I am pleased that you have enjoyed the past thread but, for myself, please don't take me as the some savy being, I am still struggling hard on my journey and just relating my small piece of nature's wonders as I have heard and seen. Please experience nature and creation from your eyes and perspective, listen a bit more with an open mind to what is around you.
just a thought

RovingArcher

Need to contact Admin...
Jun 27, 2004
I agree 100% with Carcajou Garou. I struggle daily with my spiritual and physical journeys and find that Patience is a much needed virtue for such matters. That and an open mind and a willing heart.

What makes something special to me, may not be the same as what makes something special for anyone else. It is a very personal experience between two spirits and no two encounters are the same. Each encounter may bring direction to us, or a warning, or some sage advice. Or, the encounter may mean nothing at all when it occurs, but 10 years down the road, you will be involved in something in some way and that encounter will come to you in full detail and it will fit perfectly into what's happening at the time, offering advice, instruction, direction, etc., or, it could just be a :wave: and a big howdy as your and their paths cross.

Also, a bit of a warning. Examine each experience with full attention to where it will lead you. The Trickster is ever about and does prey on those that search for spirit in one form or another. Be patient and look at what you have seen from all sides before seeing it as truth in your life.

boaty

Nomad
Sep 29, 2003
Bradford, W. Yorks
www.comp.brad.ac.uk
Been thinking hard about the spirit guide thing, and significant encounters with animals

Cows and hares are the animals that seem most significant to me - a couple of examples:

When on a research retreat in the Highlands when I worked at Aberdeen University, my early morning runs would be accompanied by a herd of cows who, after the first morning, looked for me to come round the corner, ran along with me to the boundary of their field, then waited for me to re-appear on my way back and run along with me to the other end of the field

In the hot summer of 1976 I was put in charge of re-filling the water trough in one of the fields on my friend's farm - the automatic filling mechanism had broken and I lived closer to it than they did. After a couple of mornings the cows realised that I was there to provide water, and they'd crowd round til I'd finished filling it and then come in and drink. Despite only being 10 I didn't feel worried about these huge creatures coming close - they were no threat to me, nor me to them. One day, one of the cows came right up to me and licked my cheek

I've had no close encounters with hares, and rarely seen them, yet they really feel significant to me and I treasure my memories of sightings

Paganwolf

Jul 26, 2004
Essex, Uk
www.WoodlifeTrails.com
Hares are a very very magical animal, said to be able to shapeshift, also said to be wiches in a shapeshifted form, how else can they dissapear like they do :?:
it would be a great honour to have a Hare as your totem, do a google on "animal totems Hare" lots to keep you going....

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE