Help me design . . . a sack-carrying rucksack/frame.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

SCOMAN

Life Member
Dec 31, 2005
Perthshire
If you've knackered a shoulder I'd recommend going for one of the load carrying frames the high end rucksack manufacturers produce. The Alice frame is probably at the bottom end, robust but poorly padded and heavy. A Kifaru frame with frame sheet, bloody expensive, even more expensive to get from the US and pay customs on but bloody comfortable. I think Eberlestock a EU manufacturer has their own kind which may be cheaper.

Pattree

Jul 19, 2023
UK
Tump lines were the predominant way of saying huge loads in the Canadian and North American wilderness up to the 1920’s

nigelp

Native
Jul 4, 2006
New Forest
newforestnavigation.co.uk
Tump lines were the predominant way of saying huge loads in the Canadian and North American wilderness up to the 1920’s
Still used now across the world. It takes some getting used to and I combined mine with a large blue bag that also had ruck sack type straps on. I could get all my canoe dry bags inside and strap my paddles on the outside. I could only lift it and walk distance with the tump line assisting. I had one on the canoe and it was more comfortable than the resting the entire weight on my shoulders.

Reactions: Pattree

Pattree

Jul 19, 2023
UK
Isn’t this exactly why the BcUK forum is so brilliant!!!!

I’ve joined a couple of suggestions together and I’ve got myself a wonderful carrying tool in about four minutes.
I don’t know whether it will help you @mrcharly but I’ll be using it.

I haven’t got a bungie octopus (or I can’t find it!) and I haven’t got a turfing iron so a heavy duty spade will have to do. I tried it with a walking pole but it’s too narrow and hurt my shoulder. If I use this in anger I’ll make a pad for the shovel. Its shouldn’t hurt your shoulder if you use your peat bank technique mrchary. I levered the load up and let it slide down to my back.
I’m sure tool and technique will evolve as I use it.

If I had an octopus I’d demo the collapsed sack truck as a carrier.

Thanks guys - this is seriously useful.

NB don’t grab your beard to the shovel as you lever the load onto your shoulder!

Components:
IMG_6018.jpeg

The tool: You won’t want the handle up.
IMG_6017.jpeg
Yes the wheels straddled my lumbar spine - well they didn’t but it wasn’t uncomfortable - not for a walk of 500M

The collapsed sack truck - no wheels sticking out..
It will work just as well as the woodland triangle frames.
IMG_6020.jpeg

There is only a 10k load in this example. I’ll try it again with a 25K Bag of compost when I get one.

I hope this could be useful for others; it certainly shall be for me.
Thanks guys.

Reactions: gg012

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE