Wolves

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

TheViking

Native
Jun 3, 2004
Squidders said:
Dear family, in the highly likely scenario of me popping my clogs, I wish to be left in the woods to be eaten by wolves... after which, you may scatter the poo :eek:):
:rolmao: :rolmao:

Tantalus

May 10, 2004
Galashiels
well they are intelligent creatures

if most of your encounters with another animal involved shots fired at you and loss of one or more members of your party i think you would rapidly become quite retiring

the ones in israel were certainly smart enough to know, that to get water , first you had to find a human to turn the tap on for you

as for eating dead humans, well in the artic (or anywhere else i guess) a free meal is a free meal, nature has always been like that

they roam long didstances to hunt their quarry, usually feed and rest for a day cos boy do they pig out when they can

then move on, but the scare stories i still believe are mostly scare stories

i would rather meet a wolf in the woods than a boar, boars have bad eyesight which makes them very unpredictable and easily startled

at least with a wolf you know where you stand

i accept they too are curious of us and wish to know if we mean them harm which may explain a lot about Garys' experience

Tant

Squidders

Aug 3, 2004
Harrow, Middlesex
I think Gary's experience may have been some kind of reverse tourism...

"Would one of you take a photo while I go and sit by this bushcraft bloke?"

Seriously though, Gary... you are a lucky lucky bloke and i'm dead jealous :wink:

Oakleaf

Jun 6, 2004
Moray
Interesting thread.

It is very tempting to consider such reintroductions. Control of Deer numbers is oft quoted. I declare interest as a Deer stalker here.

There are similiar murmorings regards bears - my kindred animal ( I was bought a beautiful T shirt by my fiance, really nice brown bear on front. She kissed me, hugged me and said she thought of me as soon as she saw it in the shop. I'd been wearing it hours before I twigged she was spending more time looking at the back... you guessed it - a 'rear view' was printed :roll: )
Slightly more advanced project afoot regards beaver up here.

All interest me greatly and I do dream of such things.

However, I cannot help but trhink of the nature of all wild things. Given a choice between chasing down a wild Red Stag, some nice penned in sheep or a little girls tethered pony, I suspect the wolves may take the easier opportunities - with unfortunate conflict.

As always, seems to be not the animals at fault, but the pressure - intentional or otherwise - that people place upon them.

As a further aside, I had a long running e mail conversation with a very erudite young lady that was interested in the wolf scene and reintroductions etc. She was very intelligent and a pleasure to talk with. I wont give a name, but transpired she had her own.... er 'website' regards her other interests!!! :shock: No sexist implications implied. More power to her. You meet the most interesting people....

Oakleaf

Jun 6, 2004
Moray
Tomtom

Put me on the spot or what :wink:

I'll have to do a bit of digging - it was in the paper or SGA magazine I think. Give me awhile to look it up and I will post under a new thread.

Oakleaf

Carcajou Garou

On a new journey
Jun 7, 2004
Canada
There has been one verified wolf killing a human incident that is know happened in southern Ontario, at a penned wolf preserve on a new staff member who had joined the unit shortly before the attack. She had entered the pen and was in the process of feeding the wolves when a trigger occured and the wolves attacked and killed her, the pack wa killed afterwards rightly so as it now had a human victims in its memory/pool and would not be safe to be in contact with humans afterwards whether in pen or in the wilds. Other than that no other wolf/human attack has been verified allthough many hybrid wolf/dog and coy/dogs (coyote/dog mix) attacks have been recorded and blamed on wolves. Where there are wolves there is a healthy deer population in north America as they kill off the feral dogs they encounter who kill many deer and any other wild life within their reach without eating them. Feral dogs here are a danger that only lately have been surpassed by the explosion of the bear population. Black bear encounters here in northern Ontario has increased to a dangerous level, In a typical summer in a med town 1500-2000+ encounter in a 3 months period. Wolves pose no threat to humans other than proximity exitment. I am of the bear clan, they are my brothers that is why I do not hunt my brothers and have to use a slingshot to chastise them when they mis-behave :roll:
just a thought

Gary

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 17, 2003
from Essex
Wolverine as usual you show great wisedom.

Personally, I think I would like to be of the Bear clan too, for obvious reasons!! :wink:

Carcajou Garou

On a new journey
Jun 7, 2004
Canada
Saygo Gary!! My clan was passed on through my mother, is the bear, but my "spirit guides" are the wolf and the raven; my sister tells me that I have a lot of issues and need 2 "guides". Ravens accompany wolves as their look out per say so I add 2 more to the list of brothers that strenghten me. My son is wolf clan as is my wife. "Guides are like guardian angels they try to stear you on the right path but do not force you, you have the ultimate control and responsibility to do the right thing.
just a thought

RovingArcher

Need to contact Admin...
Jun 27, 2004
Monterey Peninsula, Ca., USA
I am all for reintroduction of the wolf into all areas where they once thrived. However, as is happening in many areas where the wolf has been reintroduced, ranchers kill them for sport and say they were protecting their livestock. They do the same with the Bear. Then there's the dull hearted and witted hunters (if you can call them that) who shoot them for sport, even though they are protected. I'm am also for reintroducing the Grizzly into areas where they have been killed off. They kept man in check and gave man a great gift. Humility! Something man has forgotten in his quest to be all powerful.

Paganwolf

Jul 26, 2004
Essex, Uk
www.WoodlifeTrails.com
RovingArcher said:
I am all for reintroduction of the wolf into all areas where they once thrived. However, as is happening in many areas where the wolf has been reintroduced, ranchers kill them for sport and say they were protecting their livestock. They do the same with the Bear. Then there's the dull hearted and witted hunters (if you can call them that) who shoot them for sport, even though they are protected. I'm am also for reintroducing the Grizzly into areas where they have been killed off. They kept man in check and gave man a great gift. Humility! Something man has forgotten in his quest to be all powerful.
:yikes: Blimmin ell!!!! we had better lie low eh Gary :yikes: :wink:

Gary

Apr 17, 2003
from Essex
No JP I'm with the first nation guys on this one, Humility is a great gift and like so many things it is something we all need to remember - pride comes before a fall!

As for spirit guides, Wolverine how do you know who your guides are? I believe we all have spirit guides, but I have no idea who or what mine might be and would love to find out!

Squidders

Aug 3, 2004
Harrow, Middlesex
My spirit guide needs a good kick-in for guiding me into the path of the car that kit me.

I would like to find mine out but only to run it through with something blunt and heavy!

how come everyone has a cool spirit guide? creatures with appeal and mystery, wolves, bears and large birds... is it possible to have a dung beetle spirit guide?

bothyman

Settler
Nov 19, 2003
Sutherland. Scotland.
You should try and read some books on Shamanism, Spirit guides and Shamanic journeying, interesting stuff especially if you spend time alone in the woods.
at the moment I am reading a book on Siberian Shamanism really good stuff.

Amazon stuff arrived today :super: so got a few bushcraft books to read inc, "The Good Life ", Bushcraft ( mors one) ,SAS survival Guide ( Gem One), and The Science and Art of Tracking ,they should keep me amused through the dark winter months.

:wave: :chill:

Elliott

Tenderfoot
Jul 25, 2004
Dorset
bothyman said:
Yahoo stuff arrived today :super: so got a few bushcraft books to read inc, "The Good Life ", Bushcraft ( mors one) ,SaS survival handbook ( Gem One), and The Art and Science of Tracking ,they should keep me amused through the dark winter months.

:wave: :chill:

I bought all the above recently too (except SaS survival handbook - having read previously) plus the Tom Brown Field guide to nature observation and tracking and I think you should really enjoy them - all a crackin read. Just finishing off science and art now - I have no previous knowledge of tracking and it looked a little bit technical but I have thoroughly enjoyed it and learnt a great deal - now need some dirt time.

Related to this thread the Tom Brown texts have plenty to offer in terms of Wolf tracks, habit and Spirituality

Elliott

Carcajou Garou

On a new journey
Jun 7, 2004
Canada
Gary, my sister is a seer and she confirmed what I had started to notice from encounters in my life who my "spirit guides" were, my "guides" made themselves known to me and all who were around me, it was almost painfully evident, but I was deaf and dumb to them, she just laught it off that I could not see it. The "guides" make themselves known to you in many ways you just have to look and listen in a different way, notice an animal doing something that is not its usual nature eg. speaking to you, socializing with you, etc... this would be repeated several times in different settings even when you are awake or asleep (they don't have to be the most physicly powerful because power comes from within and all have their own gifts to bestow) after a while you feel a common bond with it and would hear as in a (sub concious) voice or act, what wisdom it is trying to tell you. Or sometimes you can listen to a gifted elder or seer and they can point you on the right path ((offer a small gift to the elder or seer) (we use tobacco)). I wish RA would explain it better to you, he is a better "voice" than I, he can explain things easier I don't have that much talent in transfering my inner thoughts to my outside voice. Next time an animal comes close to you listen and look maybe it is trying to speak to you.
Squidders, you didn't get killed did you? from all the damage done you still have your humor and guile :super: guide: 1, car: 0
Guides come in all styles as I have mentioned to Gary.
just a confused thought :roll:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE