Help me design . . . a sack-carrying rucksack/frame.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

bearbait

If all you are after is a cheap pack frame you could look at C-Claycomb's suggestion of a Roycroft Pack Frame.

I recently started to have a "play" with the concept. It is / can be constructed as a take-down so takes up little space when not in use.

A couple of links here both from Karamat instructors, the first with Mors Kochanski and the second with Kelly Harlton:

Jared

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 8, 2005
Wales
For anyone else curious about how it was done back in the day.

Peat creels made from willow.

Reactions: Pattree

Laurentius

Aug 13, 2009
Knowhere
Roycroft is definately a good idea. You can go a long way with the concept, I have steam bent mine to contour with my back, and I can strap all manner of things to it.

mrcharly

Jan 25, 2011
North Yorkshire, UK
My experience of commercial frame packs puts me off buying anything unless I can try it on; both of the pack frames (one old Karrimor, one cheap nameless) pressed into the bones of my pelvis. What can I say? I just have a very wide bottom.

mrcharly

Jan 25, 2011
North Yorkshire, UK
For anyone else curious about how it was done back in the day.

Peat creels made from willow.
Oddly, the women carried peats in a creel, men carried them in a sack. (All the way home, which could be quite a way; my bank is 5km from my house)

The pictures on that site give a good idea of the bulk that I carry on each trip.

Pattree

Jul 19, 2023
UK
IMG_5960.jpeg
That’s brilliant. I’d need a dedicated padded stick but hey- it’s so doable!

Erbswurst

Mar 5, 2018
Berlin
Tragebütte / Bütte / Weinlesekiepe is an option that I would choose. That are ergonomically designed plastic buckets with shoulder straps up to 70 litres, so far I see at a short look. You can put a plastic bag as a liner inside, fill it, close the bag, carry it where you want and afterwards throw out the closed bag.
Such things exist surely also for apple picking and perhaps even in the UK.

That here just looks as if it's made of wood, but it's plastic. They offer different designs and sizes.

mrcharly

Jan 25, 2011
North Yorkshire, UK
I've made a pack frame using pallet wood, bits of cord and stuff lying around. Will post pictures tomorrow, when I've had a chance to test it out. (Hopefully it doesn't break straight away!)

GreyCat

Nov 1, 2023
South Wales, UK
Spring last year I stuffed up one shoulder and still have a major rotator cuff injury. Can't lift left arm above shoulder height.

In May, it is peat cutting season. I reckon I can cut the peat ok, the problem is in transporting the dried peat up to the road.

Normally I fill sacks (about 20-30kg depending on sack size), throw them on my shoulders and carry them the 500m to the road. The first part of the route is over peat bog, so I can't use a barrow.

Shoulder injury means I can't do this. Can't get a sack up onto shoulders and hold it there with both hands.

So I was thinking of making a frame backpack onto which I could strap a sack. No need to lift it up onto shoulders as I can put it on the edge of the peat bank and slide my arms in.

Anyone have or know of plans for such a frame backpack?
If you get stuck (or your made one isn't working) I can send measurements from my 70's Karrimor external frame pack(s). I have a couple- different size bags.

Both obtained quite recently off the Evil Bay for a small amount and both in immaculate condition. There's quite often such things on there.

GC

Dan00001

Forager
Nov 13, 2023
Wales
What about a lightweight sack truck? You could fasten some closed cell foam to the back and buy some backpack straps to fasten to the truck. If wide enough, you could leave the wheels attached, or alternatively drill the centres out and attach using clevis pins so they are easily and quickly detachable. That way, you have the option to carry the truck on your shoulders over rough terrain and wheel it on terrain that allows. Perhaps it could be a long term solution to make life easier rather than just short term whilst your injury repairs.

nigelp

Native
Jul 4, 2006
New Forest
newforestnavigation.co.uk
Have you tried a tump line? When I was into canoeing we did massive portages in Scotland carrying all our gear and canoes using tump lines/straps.

Also used them to collect drift wood for camp building and fires on the foreshore. Worked well on uneven ground.

Surprisingly easy to make and they do work once you get used to the idea.

Photo from internetIMG_9008.jpeg

mrcharly

Jan 25, 2011
North Yorkshire, UK
Never tried a tump line, although, as a spectacles wearer, they fill me with fear.

Would still need a frame to attach the sack to (you don't look very happy in that picture!)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE