Help me design . . . a sack-carrying rucksack/frame.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

mrcharly

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 25, 2011
North Yorkshire, UK
Spring last year I stuffed up one shoulder and still have a major rotator cuff injury. Can't lift left arm above shoulder height.

In May, it is peat cutting season. I reckon I can cut the peat ok, the problem is in transporting the dried peat up to the road.

Normally I fill sacks (about 20-30kg depending on sack size), throw them on my shoulders and carry them the 500m to the road. The first part of the route is over peat bog, so I can't use a barrow.

Shoulder injury means I can't do this. Can't get a sack up onto shoulders and hold it there with both hands.

So I was thinking of making a frame backpack onto which I could strap a sack. No need to lift it up onto shoulders as I can put it on the edge of the peat bank and slide my arms in.

Anyone have or know of plans for such a frame backpack?

Woody girl

Mar 31, 2018
Exmoor
Have you thought of a kids plastic sled? You could turn it into a pulk type carrier for the peat .I've made one by drilling holes round the rim of the sled, threading through some nylon rope, and then through a couple of 5 foot lengths of white plastic pipe , and making a loop to which I've attached a couple of 'binas, which in turn clip on to my belt. Just drag it along over the bog behind you, and no strain on your shoulder at all.
A cargo net will stop anything falling off if you go uphill.
The pipes stop it running into you as you go downhill, so if you have no downhill, you could do away with those .

Reactions: Pattree

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
OK, I'll get told off for this as it's not directly on topic, so I'm happy to move it to a PM.

I've had two rotator cuff injuries (separate shoulders) - one that lasted for years because I didn't sort it and one that lasted a couple of months. Both were debilitating and prevented me from doing work in the wood, or lift my arm, and I would often end up kneeling on the floor in agony for several minutes if I tried throwing some brash or some other stupid motion. In both cases, once I'd got professional physio help, and carried out the exercises religiously, they were cured (and I mean no pain at all) within three or four weeks.

I do appreciate though that some RC injuries end up requiring surgery.

mrcharly

Jan 25, 2011
North Yorkshire, UK
Appreciated, Broch. I'm waiting for physio appointment and doing some self-directed physio. Initially made the mistake of resting it, not knowing that with RC injuries, that would make it worse.
Dragging anything is a no-go. I have rough ground to cross, old peat diggings. So have to get up and down 2ft banks. Then there is a stony track (I can use a wheelbarrow for that bit, but once a sack on my shoulders just continuing seems to be the way). Carrying is the only workable option.

I've had a frame rucksack before. It was hideously uncomfortable, because the bottom part of the frame dug into the bony sides of my pelvis. I'd want the sack-carrying frame to be higher, so that didn't happen. Probably wouldn't bother with a hip belt.

Reactions: Broch

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
Have you looked at stuff like the Kifaru pack frames (I am thinking of the Duplex, but there may be newer ones). Not suggesting buying one is the answer, although it would be, but they are US based, expensive, and hard to source. However, they make external frame packs for hunters who will carry a lot of weight, like full camp kit, plus meat.

I don't know how you would use the frame design to do your own, but it is one thought.

The other end of the spectrum is the Roycroft Pack Frame.

SaraR

Mar 25, 2017
Ceredigion
If you’d consider buying a pack frame, Tatonka’s Lastenkraxe is very sturdy and stands up for loading.

mrcharly

Jan 25, 2011
North Yorkshire, UK
I usually carry 5-6 sacks up to the tarmac road, load in car, then take home. Hence wanting to make something to carry a sack, not loose peat. A pack frame like Sara suggested would do the job, but I'd rather avoid spending that amount of money.
Hence wanting to design something to do the job.

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
I wonder if you could make something from an old chair :)

Pick one up from a recycling yard or a junk shop. Take the cushion off, cut the seat length and refasten the front brace, discarding the front legs, cut the back legs shorter, screw on a couple of angle braces under the (now) shelf. Then just screw on some loops of old seatbelt webbing or similar as shoulder straps. Maybe a bit of padding between your back and the frame.

Pattree

Jul 19, 2023
UK
30kg? About a quarter of a cubic meter.
Hmmmm
I wonder if a couple of lengths of 25mm pvc conduit, a couple of metres of 8mm all thread and a handful of butterfly screws could make you a folding “L” frame. Shoulder straps and diagonals of two inch webbing and a bungee octopus to hold your sack in place.

It would buckle a bit to start with but it just might survive a season or two and it’s so easy to make. I’m talking through my bum here but I use 25mm pvc for all sorts of things.

You could probably do everything above for £30. It might be worth a punt.

Come to that - any old charity shop framed rucksack (set as high as you like) with the front cut open vertically and a bungee octopus might work.

Neither idea is elegant but who cares?

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE