Wolves

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

hootchi

Settler
I love wolves. I think that they should be reintroduced into scotland. Did you know that the wolves would live in the plantations, which would keep the red deer out of the plantations, which would reduce the need for deer fences, which is the primary cause of death of the cappercallie. So benefiting more than you might think. I hope im not telling you what you may know already.

Gary

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 17, 2003
from Essex
Here here - that is one of my dreams too. Having seen wolves int he wild I would love to be able to afford to re-introduce them to Britian.

They are a fantastic creature, mans oldest ally and fear, and as such we should always honour them as kindred spirits.

Paganwolf

Jul 26, 2004
Essex, Uk
www.WoodlifeTrails.com
My fave animal the wolf (never :roll: ) ive adopted a european wolf, i aggree they should be introduced back into the uk as they are a native after all, and its lonley here being the only wolf :cry: :wink:

tomtom

Dec 9, 2003
Sunny South Devon
when you say adopted... dose it live with you? or are you supporting while it lives else where.

saw a guy with a fox on a lead walking down the road the otherday

bothyman

Settler
Nov 19, 2003
Sutherland. Scotland.
They could put them in the New Forest, more for them to live on in there.

Pigs, Ponies, Rabbits , more People so more dogs and cats to live on.

They would have a much more varied diet. :roll:

Just imagine the first bad Winter, "Mummy there's a hungry wolf looking through the window" ?? "Don't worry dear it won't harm you".
Oh dear, they are dangerous :yikes: Cull all the wolves,
End of wolf experiment.

We have enough with rutting slobbering stags, roaring all night you can have the wolves. :wave:

Paganwolf

Jul 26, 2004
Essex, Uk
www.WoodlifeTrails.com
tomtom said:
when you say adopted... dose it live with you? or are you supporting while it lives else where.

saw a guy with a fox on a lead walking down the road the otherday
im the only wolf in my house :rolmao: no its still in its homeland ill dig the stuff out tonight and post it, game keeper has a wolf hybrid though, have you seen the film Dog soldiers? :shock:

Viking

Settler
Oct 1, 2003
Sweden
www.nordicbushcraft.com
Wolvea are really beatiful animals but they are also a big problem for some people. Wolves kill a lot of reindeers every year and so the people that own the reindeer hunt and kill the wolves. But for wolves to survive us human needs to be a lot less. We are are becoming more and more and we need more land to live on and the wolf and many other animals gets less and less land to live on and that is why there are so few left.

Was on a exhition this weekend about the big five wolf, lynx, wolverine, bear and man. It was really interesting because you got to learn what people that live around these animals think of them both the good and bad and gave me a lot to think about when I left it.

Tantalus

May 10, 2004
Galashiels
lol bothyman

perhaps westminster would be a good place to start the re-introduction program

ya know, no guns or pointy things there that could accidentally injure them

plenty of soft tubby gin soaked fodder for em too

oh dear i did it again, please excuse my off beat humour :tw:

seriously though , last time i met wolves in the wild was in israel, a truly awesome and very friendly experience

they wanted water, i gave em some and they left as soundlessly as they had arrived

maybe it was the heat, but there was no agression in them at all, and they were close enough to touch

are all the scare stories just that?...........scare stories

Tant

Gary

Apr 17, 2003
from Essex
I agree Tant - about westminster too.

Seriously though, I saw my first wolf in canada and it sat not more than 10 feet from me, just watching me like a big dog. We sat watching each other for a good 10/15 minutes, unfortunately I was to worried about spooking it and spoiling the moment to reach for my camera.

Then a howl went up here and there around us and it loped off into the woods but later I saw the pack chasing down a moose - never saw the kill but it is a powerful image that will live with me forever.

Few things touch you deeply in this cold souless world but that encounter was very magical.

Squidders

Aug 3, 2004
Harrow, Middlesex
I have never seen a wolf in the wild, nor have I had any desire to see one in a zoo. But some day I intend to. There is something about top predators that make them so majestic.

Also, when there are wolves, bears, lions, tigers or whatever, it is a good indication that the environment is healthy... if it can support the wildlife in the food chain all the way up to the top, it's a good thing. Unfortunately, we have mostly removed ourselves from the food chain as humans.

By the way, this is my current desktop background if anyone wants it... it's a nice timber wolf. I like it staring back at me, it reminds me who's world it should really be.

CLEM

Jul 10, 2004
Stourbridge
They have allways been one of my faverite animals since i was a small child,ive no idea why but they allways have.They really are beautifull animals and i would allso love to see one in its enviroment some day.When i lived in Norway some years back some wolves set up home in a forest near the capital,very near,only a couple of miles from the city.The government had them culled sadly.

arctic hobo

Native
Oct 7, 2004
Devon *sigh*
www.dyrhaug.co.uk
I've seen a large pack in the Finnmarksvidda - then it was scary more than anything else. We pretended we hadn't seen them, and walked quickly away at an angle to their path... Well, not large but five or six - very frightening, as we'd lost the bolt for our rifle (long story!).

CLEM

Jul 10, 2004
Stourbridge
tomtom said:
im told there are no reported cases of a healthy wolf attacking a man (or woman or child)
I have allso read this many times before.That there is no reliable account or proof of a healthy wolf ever attacking a human being.I have however read that they have been known to eat the dead.Dunno how true that is mind you.

Squidders

Aug 3, 2004
Harrow, Middlesex
I wonder how that would go down... excuse the pun... with the family?

Dear family, in the highly likely scenario of me popping my clogs, I wish to be left in the woods to be eaten by wolves... after which, you may scatter the poo :eek:):

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE