Interesting article about wolves in Europe

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

nigelp

Native
Jul 4, 2006
New Forest
newforestnavigation.co.uk
A wolf killed the EU president's precious pony - then the fight to catch the predator began

Interesting article about wolves in Europe, their population numbers and how they coexist with human populations.

I’m not sure the size of British Countryside would suit wolves being reintroduced but I think having these wonderful animals living wild would also be quite something.

Reactions: CLEM and Kadushu

Chris

Sep 20, 2022
Lincolnshire
They had an enormous impact when reintroduced in Yellowstone in the US. I suppose it is tricky here with our lack of space, but perhaps there are areas in Scotland where they could thrive and benefit the ecosystem?

nigelp

Native
Jul 4, 2006
New Forest
They had an enormous impact when reintroduced in Yellowstone in the US. I suppose it is tricky here with our lack of space, but perhaps there are areas in Scotland where they could thrive and benefit the ecosystem?

I think they would do better in the south, where all the woodland and deer are! I can’t see the general populace of the UK being up for it; I think as a country of supposed animal lovers we actually treat our wild animals very poorly!

grainweevil

Forager
Feb 18, 2023
Cornwall
Alas, conservationists think "Oh, the wolves can kill the surplus of deer" while the wolves, not having been told this, think instead "Oh, those nice fat sheep/cows/ponies look tasty. And all so conveniently placed together." Unhappiness with wolves ensues.

demented dale

Dec 16, 2021
hell
A wolf killed the EU president's precious pony - then the fight to catch the predator began

Interesting article about wolves in Europe, their population numbers and how they coexist with human populations.

I’m not sure the size of British Countryside would suit wolves being reintroduced but I think having these wonderful animals living wild would also be quite something.

I read this book which covers the subject of rewilding including the return of wolves to the UK. I found it interesting.

Reactions: CLEM and nigelp

Herman30

Native
Aug 30, 2015
Finland
This is what wolves did to a sheepfarmer i Finland. And there are numerous more.
13-3-10351470

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
Whilst wild species may be able to quickly adapt to being reintroduced that is not my greatest concern.

I will happily predict a slew of people whom ( incorrectly ) believe that they have a 'special connection' or can 'talk' to the wild species and approach them which in turn becomes harassing of a wild species which will react badly and lead to events which will be looked at through a very one way lens.

Anyone remember Timothy Treadwell.

Reactions: CLEM

nigelp

Native
Jul 4, 2006
New Forest
Whilst wild species may be able to quickly adapt to being reintroduced that is not my greatest concern.

I will happily predict a slew of people whom ( incorrectly ) believe that they have a 'special connection' or can 'talk' to the wild species and approach them which in turn becomes harassing of a wild species which will react badly and lead to events which will be looked at through a very one way lens.

Anyone remember Timothy Treadwell.
Wolf Whisper’s!
That will be a very quick craze on TikTok.

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
Best not bother then. Just make the wolves extinct because it’s too much effort to coexist.

Most sheep are only breed to have lambs to be eaten anyway so I didn’t really see what the fuss is about. ;)

I for one would not want wolves ( or any flora/fauna ) to become extinct and if land was available would like to see safe havens so all native species could be introduced but the question of how we all co-habit without incident is massive and I fear somewhat unsolvable - we either accept that there will be incidents or we try to limit them to the nth degree.

I'm not sure how much land would need to be set aside for a viable community of Wolves , Bears , Beavers etc to create a self sustainable biome if there was an enforced perimeter but I suspect the only place this could be entertained would be the highlands.

Near to me is Wildwood - a country estate that has tried to bring all the native species back as one - although I imagine it will receive scorn from certain sectors.

nigelp

Native
Jul 4, 2006
New Forest
The article did say that human wolf interaction was minimal. The wolves are naturally cautious and wary of humans so there is/was little risk of incidents occurring.

The UK is small island so reintroduction of wolves would probably not work here.

Paul_B

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
There's another point to make. UK wildlife charities such at wwf and others promote reintroduction and protection of pretty serious predators or other large and dangerous animals in other parts of the world. Preaching to mostly agrarian locals that they most coexist with these animals.

Yet back home we're mostly completely against the reintroduction of formerly native species. Hypocritical or what?

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
The sad truth is we live on a very crowded, overpopulated, island and we have gone way past the time of being able to re-introduce wolves and bears (lynx may be possible). Instead, let's concentrate on providing the habitats and environments for what we have here; we're still losing too many species and, unfortunately, many are unseen. We just protect the 'pretty' popular ones; the small black multi-legged invertebrate under that damp log is just as important :)

Paul_B

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
The thing is every ecology has what's called keystone species I think. They're the one species that keeps the ecology healthy. Aiui blue whales in the oceans, other whales in other areas. Wolves in yellowstone definitely. Perhaps wolves in Scotland might fit this category.

Also bear in mind we're overcrowded and overpopulated in cities, conurbations and larger towns too but there's a lot of the UK that isn't. There's a phrase used in many places concerning nature. "Make space for wildlife"! Put simply, we could if we wanted. As a country we don't so we won't. Only the small cuddlies like beavers get through our inability to make space. White tailed eagles, red kite, etc are the acceptable ones. They're not that significant as a species to the ecology of the UK, they're just nice looking animals that don't cause people many issues. It's a bit sad really.

Reactions: Kenny P

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE