Interesting article about wolves in Europe

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

demented dale

Dec 16, 2021
hell
Whilst wild species may be able to quickly adapt to being reintroduced that is not my greatest concern.

I will happily predict a slew of people whom ( incorrectly ) believe that they have a 'special connection' or can 'talk' to the wild species and approach them which in turn becomes harassing of a wild species which will react badly and lead to events which will be looked at through a very one way lens.

Anyone remember Timothy Treadwell.
yes , timothy did not tread well, typical deluded bunny hugger.

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
The thing is every ecology has what's called keystone species I think. They're the one species that keeps the ecology healthy. Aiui blue whales in the oceans, other whales in other areas. Wolves in yellowstone definitely. Perhaps wolves in Scotland might fit this category.

Also bear in mind we're overcrowded and overpopulated in cities, conurbations and larger towns too but there's a lot of the UK that isn't. There's a phrase used in many places concerning nature. "Make space for wildlife"! Put simply, we could if we wanted. As a country we don't so we won't. Only the small cuddlies like beavers get through our inability to make space. White tailed eagles, red kite, etc are the acceptable ones. They're not that significant as a species to the ecology of the UK, they're just nice looking animals that don't cause people many issues. It's a bit sad really.

A nice romantic concept I'm afraid. The land that isn't overpopulated feeds the cities that are. We can only produce around 50% of our food needs as it is. These last few years have made politicians wary of reliance on food trade and they will not yield much of our 'productive' land. I am a conservationist, a protector of all living species, spend my time and money creating and managing land for wildlife, but I do not think we can re-introduce wolf or bear without fencing sad though that may be.

demented dale

Dec 16, 2021
hell
A wolf killed the EU president's precious pony - then the fight to catch the predator began

Interesting article about wolves in Europe, their population numbers and how they coexist with human populations.

I’m not sure the size of British Countryside would suit wolves being reintroduced but I think having these wonderful animals living wild would also be quite something.

It is a huge undertaking to reintroduce a large top down predator anywhere after a lengthy absence. When these animals last lived here the environment was completely different. Everything has changed. A case to highlight is the reintroduction of Golden Eagles in County Donegal, North West Ireland. The project has now had to concede that it was a failure. The birds were struggling for food and even if they did prosper in one area then there was no other suitable territory for their expansion. The White Tail Sea Eagle reintroduction program has done reasonably well here though.

Reactions: nigelp

SaraR

Mar 25, 2017
Ceredigion
Modern farming in this part of the world is no longer set up to deal with large predators. I can't see the farmers around here being able to afford shepards following each flock of sheep in the hills....

nigelp

Native
Jul 4, 2006
New Forest
newforestnavigation.co.uk
The article was written about Europe where there is more space for the wolves.

In the UK I’d like to see maybe Lynx reintroduced and I’m hopeful to see the Pine Martins that are some where in the New Forest. The wild boar population seems to be growing and I guess it will only be time before they spread more widely across England.

Reactions: TeeDee

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
This is what wolves did to a sheepfarmer i Finland. And there are numerous more.
13-3-10351470

I could show you that many dead sheep on the farm land around us and that's just because of bad husbandry :(

Paul_B

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
The thing is the UK was made better for farming centuries ago. In other parts of the world they live with livestock predation and live with reintroduction that lead to such predation. Bigger country but animals never quite stay where they were reintroduced. I think some western countries that do such reintroduction also provide compensation schemes. Developing countries often don't but outside charities and NGOs come in to protect and reintroduce predators the locals got rid of.

I think there's hypocrisy in the approach of Western countries through their charities doing in say Africa what the UK won't do here. I'm not saying we should but at the same time I do question whether the whole reintroduction thing is fair globally.

Reactions: stonepark

Paul_B

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
I could show you that many dead sheep on the farm land around us and that's just because of bad husbandry :(
I was thinking that photo was basically a load of dead sheep collected from across an estate or farm and lumped together to make a point. I bet I could do similar with a lakeland hillfarm! I often come across dead sheep in the hills, some from natural falls but others on the edge of farmyard I doubt are that natural.

Whatever the situation that photo does look like point making than evidence to me. Perhaps I'm too cynical in my middle years! Grey hair doesn't bring wisdom just grecian2000 afterall! :lmao:

ONE

Nov 21, 2019
N. Ireland
Anecdotally, I've spoken to French farmers and French country dwellers in general who say they will destroy wolves wherever and whenever encountered, regardless of the animal's behaviour.

demented dale

Dec 16, 2021
hell
Anecdotally, I've spoken to French farmers and French country dwellers in general who say they will destroy wolves wherever and whenever encountered, regardless of the animal's behaviour.
I feel the same about the french :)

TLM

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 16, 2019
Vantaa, Finland
Apparently a few weeks ago there was a lone wolfie a few klicks from Helsinki city center. Caught in some cams.

So lets put a few in the parks of Paris and Brussels and see what happens.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE