Why no fuel in ration packs?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

AJB

Native
Oct 2, 2004
Lancashire
Sorry, but no! And as I had patented the idea, you owe me two million quid!

:D

As it's my thread can I have 1% please?

And thanks Mikey - that's probably it and more or less what I thought - but how do they get the fuel into 'theatre'? Do all actions start 2 months earlier with ships full of hexy setting sail? Hexy and Gaffer!

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
I'm sure there is a way of getting feight loaded DAC on board legally although not totally sure. I know when I was deployed to the Democratic (ha!) Republic of Congo, we had loads of hexy, ammunition and the like flown in. It's all DAC at the end of the day! A landlocked country, so no chance of sailing it in, and it was in the north east so again no other way of getting it where it needed to be quickly other than by air. I think if the crates are still sealed then they can go on, but not opened crates or individual packets.

ANDYRAF

Settler
Mar 25, 2008
St Austell Cornwall
I'm sure there is a way of getting feight loaded DAC on board legally although not totally sure. I know when I was deployed to the Democratic (ha!) Republic of Congo, we had loads of hexy, ammunition and the like flown in. It's all DAC at the end of the day! A landlocked country, so no chance of sailing it in, and it was in the north east so again no other way of getting it where it needed to be quickly other than by air. I think if the crates are still sealed then they can go on, but not opened crates or individual packets.

They have to be sealed in a vacu-bag and then in another box with seals and stuff, It takes bl$%&y ages to do, and then has to pass the air movers test (dropped from 5 feet if still sealed it can then go on the herc).

Mikey P

Nov 22, 2003
Glasgow, Scotland

No - it's a nightmare, even on mil transport! As someone else has written, you have to pack them specially and then, as soon as you add one type of DAC to an ac, you start to become very limited in what else you can have on board. :deal: :rant:

Unless it's an S&D flight...but that's another story....;)

crazydave

Settler
Aug 25, 2006
Gloucester
officially hexamine is an explosive compound originally used in mines and torpedoes which could be why its not doled out willy nilly. plus you dont get issued packs or cookers every day. half the time we struggled to get enough and relied on old hoarded stock or doubling up. they are supposed to issue one pack a day and the cookers were only meant to be given out every third day. most of the time we only got half a pack a day as the required amounts didn't make it out to us.

the american mre heaters are okay for warming a meal but rubbish for anything else and there are lots of complaints about the lack of a heat tab now that trioxane isn't made anymore. mre's come with coffee mix but nothing to make it with so they now give out bags which you fill with water and put in a heater but it wont boil the water.

we used to save them up for quiet meals or bottle bombs when there was shortage of blue grenades during fibua or fish. :)

none of the crusader kit is general issue but the mugs are becoming commonplace and from what I hear the heaters are cropping up now.

I hated hexi as it was a bugger to light but they seem to have improved the binding agent now so they are less waxy and take a match better but crumble too much if you break them up - it could just be me though. I allways packed it for emergencies and still do.

crazydave

Settler
Aug 25, 2006
Gloucester
officially hexamine is an explosive compound originally used in mines and torpedoes which could be why its not doled out willy nilly. plus you dont get issued packs or cookers every day. half the time we struggled to get enough and relied on old hoarded stock or doubling up. they are supposed to issue one pack a day and the cookers were only meant to be given out every third day. most of the time we only got half a pack a day as the required amounts didn't make it out to us.

the american mre heaters are okay for warming a meal but rubbish for anything else and there are lots of complaints about the lack of a heat tab now that trioxane isn't made anymore. mre's come with coffee mix but nothing to make it with so they now give out bags which you fill with water and put in a heater but it wont boil the water.

we used to save them up for quiet meals or bottle bombs when there was shortage of blue grenades during fibua or fish. :)

none of the crusader kit is general issue but the mugs are becoming commonplace and from what I hear the heaters are cropping up now.

I hated hexi as it was a bugger to light but they seem to have improved the binding agent now so they are less waxy and take a match better but crumble too much if you break them up - it could just be me though. I allways packed it for emergencies and still do.

Bob

Forager
Sep 11, 2003
Dorset
Just curious CD - what is FISH ? (I know what FIBUA is so am guessing that the FI means the same!)

Bob:)

phaserrifle

Nomad
Jun 16, 2008
South of England
hexi blocks are not packaged with the food in the rat packs, because they would contaminate the contents. my guess for why ethanol sachets are not packed is because the packs are still based on the old system when hexi blocks where used, and ethanol wasnot issued.

FISH - Fighting In Silly Hats?

crazydave

Settler
Aug 25, 2006
Gloucester
I've heard nothing about packing ethanol sachets from those I know who are still in the mob but I have sent meths out in the past along with the rest of my care packages.
another consideration counld be storage as hexi can be stored pretty much anywhere and doesn't leach out so there shouldn't be any contamination issue.

rations are cycled and disposed of often to civilian aid agencies in the case of short term humanitarian relief so due to the toxic fumes I cant see the army giving hexi out for use in a tarp shelter as its not pleasant :)

I spoke to a lad a few years back who was a storeman and he was complaining that they burnt 8000 rather than ship them back to the UK and they couldn't sell them off due to the new rules. if they'd been operational they could have given them away or swapped them for stuff they could sell for unit funds. my brothers bunch bought back a lorry full of mre's which wound up on german ebay.

SMARTY

Nomad
May 4, 2005
UAE
www.survivalwisdom.com
I think the reason is a storage issue. Ration packs and heximine have different shelf lives. Also it allows flexability for issue of different fuels for different environments eg Arctic.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE