Why is living in the midst of nature forbidden?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Lean'n'mean

Settler
Nov 18, 2020
France
Remaining at the hypothetical here, if you truly did have all the knowlege and resources to live off grid, would it matter that you had permission or not as you would surely know your wilderness sufficiently well to avoid contact with any authorities. .
Even if one did know the terrain & was lucky enough to avoid detection by the authorities, (helicopter, drone, ranger, satellite surveillance) you may have more trouble avoiding the locals, whom, usually take a dim view of poachers & persons not having the necessary permission to be where they are. Wildernesses are smaller & more populated than they used to be.

Reactions: Erbswurst
Oh yes, definitely. People knew he was there.
Hiroo Onoda received training in guerilla warfare before being stationed on lubang -- he was originally part of a group (like Shoichi Yokoi), one surrendered and two were killed in firefights with local authorities, leaving him the last survivor (of the group).
he was later pardoned for his actions by the minister of the Philippines as he believed the war still going on...
in his later life he founded an outdoor school for young people from troubled backgrounds... i happened to be in Japan when he passed away in 2014 which was reported in the news... (sorry for my off-topic rant...)
"last of the nomads" would be an example of what can happen when people with lifelong outdoor experience (Aborigines basically invented "survival") find themselves in a very challenging situation...

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
Only he didn't survive alone in the wilderness. He survived by stealing in an area of holiday cottages. Remarkable, certainly, but he lived off the proceeds of others and offered nothing in return.

Fadcode

Feb 13, 2016
Cornwall
I would have thought the Sahara desert would have met his needs and experience, there are no trees to chop down, no animals to kill, no need for a fire, i am sure he would have felt at home.

I think the link to that madcap org tells it all.

Last edited:

Lean'n'mean

Settler
Nov 18, 2020
France
Only he didn't survive alone in the wilderness. He survived by stealing in an area of holiday cottages. Remarkable, certainly, but he lived off the proceeds of others and offered nothing in return.
He was merely optimizing the resources he had at his disposal. which in evolutionary terms, enhanced his chances of survival. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Reactions: Toddy

massa

Tenderfoot
Feb 1, 2021
Wales
I'll explain:
Why do I have to ask for permission to hunt? Do I have to ask for permission to camp? Are there not places where it is possible to survive by hunting and gathering without asking anyone's permission? If I'm not mistaken in Alaska it can be done, but I don't know for sure.

in any case, if you have information about it let me know. I intend to live like primitive man, as Native Americans do. Do you know the places in Europe where this can be done? Thanks in advance.
My brother live in taxes usa , when I go to visit him , we always go to taxes swamp for camping and hunting, I don’t think there is a permission to camp and hunt... only there is a season for hunting animals (hunting is not allowed during mating seasons) , I saw a lot of people living permanently in the swamp but it’s really rough living .... no electricity, no other facilities.... it’s really hard life.

Paul_B

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
Perhaps there was a time stealing like that would have been dealt with in an unfavourable way. Modern times and all changed the idea of defending your own at the barrel of a gun.

If surviving means stealing then I guess we all would but it doesn't make it right. If you can't survive in your own right without stealing then should you be there. What right does anyone have to drop out of society like that?

TLM

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 16, 2019
Vantaa, Finland
How many here think that they would be able to live a hunter-gatherer life at their present living zone (meaning latitude and wild, not urban). Even with the added help of guns I think I would have to carefully choose the spot to have even a chance. Taiga in winter is not really very food rich environment except where there is large enough deer population of some kind or a river open all year round for fishing. Then there is the requirement for vegetables for winter, I am not sure I know all the alternatives that people used here 2k years ago. So I at least would not really bet for myself.

Herman30

Native
Aug 30, 2015
Finland
Taiga in winter is not really very food rich environment except where there is large enough deer population of some kind or a river open all year round for fishing.
Jep, try and live off the land wintertime when it looks like this. Photo from my window.
I could not do it, woudd be dead in less than a week.

63rd parallell north:

Last edited:

TLM

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 16, 2019
Vantaa, Finland
Oh no, according to what I have read there can be freezing temperature nighttime in the desert.
Easily, on clear nights the radiation heat loss is large leading to -C sand surface temps. Dig in a bit and there is some warmth left, cliffs also store enough heat to stay warmer.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE