FlexiStove

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Herman30

Native
Aug 30, 2015
Finland

Bought a couple of those, to use one in the flexi stove. Prevents the gel cube from spreading out too much and also concentrates the flame more upwards.
I also still have Firedragon fuel in bottles that can be used in this firepot when empty.

Tiley

Life Member
Oct 19, 2006
Gloucestershire
Now then, I bought one of these flexi-stoves. It duly arrived and I liked the fact that one could fold it flat and slip it in the pocket designed for a water bladder. All good - thus far. I tried it out for the first time today. SWMBO and I were coming down Quinag and I offered a cup of tea. I set up the stove, my Crusader cup fitting neatly and providing a pleasingly stable cooking arrangement; I then put one of the Dragon fire blocks in it and lit it. Flames appeared and there was a satisfying sound, almost of things frying. With a degree of alarm, I noticed that some of the molten block -still alight - was dribbling out of the numerous vent holes in the cooker. Then, the flames went out. I tried a second block, which seemed to burn even more quickly. By this time, the water in my Crusader cup had reached hand-washing, rather than tea temperature, so I gave up. (She was getting impatient...)

My question is this: what fuel - ideally, solid fuel blocks - would work better and get my 500ml of water to a boil?

Many thanks for any viable suggestions!

TLM

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 16, 2019
Vantaa, Finland
Hexamine and trioxane have both slightly toxic by products when burning. No problem when in the open and upwind but not so great when in a tent.

No, I don't know any sensible alternatives, on the other hand I am fairly certain that one exists but apparently the commercial potential is not enough or it would be prohibitively expensive.

Gelled ethanol still seems one of the better alternatives. Dragon fire apparently is very highly gelled but still it melts or releases the alcohol, so it requires a cup which again does not make it much better than ordinary gelled ones.

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
I'm pretty sure they were made for hexi blocks but a bit of silver paper wrapped round a dragon block or a foil tart case as mentioned before works fine, the latter works with the Fire Drahon Gel Firelighter as well.

Incidentally now BBQ season is upon us places like B&Q are selling FireDragon products. I picked up a small pop bottle sized (250ml) of the Gel Firelighter. It comes with a press and turn safety cap with the standard pop bottle sized thread. I'd washed out a empty chili sauce bottle to fill with PVA glue which has a twist to open squirty cap so I tried this .I'd on the Gel bottle and it fits spot on. The Gel is runny enough to be squirted out when the lid is open but thick enough that no matter how hard I squeezed the bottle with the dispensing end thing screwed shut and although I could hear the air coming out no fuel leaked. Now I wouldnt use the squirty lid for long term storage but I would for a day or even a weekend out where I wanted a more precise method of dispensing the Gel.

20220414_193838.jpg

To use on another stove I made a miniature bread tin thing from thin sheet metal that slips over a sealed Dragon block which works well and stops the burning runny Gel leaking.

20210820_124325.jpg

The Ally one on the left is the version I use.

ATB

Tom

Attachments

• 20220414_193838.jpg
    20220414_193838.jpg
    205.1 KB · Views: 4
Last edited:
Reactions: CLEM and billycoen

Hammock_man

May 15, 2008
kent
Tiley Sir, did you make sure the bottom was fully pulled down, did you just check the sides of the bottom insert where upright. This "should" make a well to hold the drips...... failing which, a mince pie foil plate works a treat. I use mine with bottled gel rather blocks these days so always have a little pie dish to hold the gel.
One block (burning IN the stove) will do 500ml just fine.

Reactions: billycoen

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE