FlexiStove

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Hammock_man

May 15, 2008
kent
Having seen them on the "MREmpire" web site, I thought I would treat myself to a new stove. This is been touted as the new issue stove for UK forces Rat packs and is designed to fit a Crusader metal mug; using gel blocks as fuel.
FlexCooker1.jpg
It comes as a fold flat package some 20cms square, cardboard slip with instructions, heavy weight poly bag and a thick Aluminum foil cooker.

FlexCooker7.jpg
In use it opens out to a 6 sided tube which fits the issue Crusader Mug. There are a number of air holes, a cutout to fit the mug handle and a strip across the bottom on to which the gel block (2 Max) sits. I wanted to keep mine clean so I put my gel block in a mince pie foil base. ( Yeah, that time of year!)
FlexCooker8.jpg
This shows the cooker after its second use and there is hardly any markings on the walls. There are a number "extensions / buttresses " to help open it out and add stability but the walls are firm and it never showed any tendency to fall or collapse. I don't have a crusader mug so I made use of a steel 1 pint (558ml) tankard. Not an exact fit but the handle rested in the cutout and the backwall supported it just as it would with an issue mug.

FlexCooker6.jpg
I had made 2 hot chocolate's for my Grandaughter and I so 2nd time round I went for a Rat Pack. The gel block did its thing and the water was up to the boil in no time. As there was a rat pack taking up most of the room in the mug there was only about half a pint of water to heat, however a single gel block had brought 500ml to a rolling boil before.

FlexCooker4.jpg
Not a great image but here you can see the flame licking the bottom of the Mug. There are also holes in the sides below where the gel block sits. On a video I have seen the flames did come out of the side holes but in both my runs this was not the case at all.

FlexCooker2.jpg
When it was all done I left the Rat Pack in the hot water for a while. By this time the cooker itself had cooled right down and was read to be folded down flat ready for another day.

A few points I did not photograph but can be seen on the instruction card. There is a big tab on the top back outside to pull on while you remove the hot mug and another tab on the bottom of the strip that holds the gel block to help set it up.

The cooker folds flat so would be easy to store; weighing next to nothing; and while it is "only" made of aluminum foil it is a good thick foil, thicker then the "Christmas Turkey Cooking" style foil. Will it last, don't know many times it can be used but I think I will last longer then the old issue / BCB hexi stoves. (If only because I have no intention of losing this.)

In short, a very well made, absolutely made for purpose, reusable, convenient cooker, perfect for Tea and Rats.

BigMonster

Sep 6, 2011
Manchester
Not very elegant but the heat retention and wind resistance must be fantastic. Very cool approach to gel stove. Also impossible to damage (squash).

Hammock_man

May 15, 2008
kent
Laid flat, stitching to stitching is 173mm. I measured 113mm diameter when formed to a hexagon. As it is flexible take these with a pinch of salt. As I said they are designed to take a crusader so they are cut to be more oval then circular. The front cutout is 75mm from the bottom and the internal space is 145mm high. The side grommet holes are about 4cm from the bottom of the "gel strip". If you where to use a meths burner it would need to a small one!

FlexCooker9.jpg
One other point I did not cover in the review ( because I used a Mince Pie base ) is the bottom pulls down just a bit to give a bowl for some liquid to pool as the gel burns; also the edge shown in yellow stands proud of the base to make said bowl just that bit bigger. Lastly there is a little hole at the back of the cooker, just big enough to poke a match through. Sweet!

Reactions: Wandering Fred

Hammock_man

May 15, 2008
kent
Just bought a litre of Dragon fuel get so gave it a try. Plopped about 27gms ( i.e. a few blobs that looked the same size as a gel block!!) loose into the bottom and set to, to make a brew. Ordinary matches went out when I tried to use the rear match hole and my rat pack ones just would not light. Any how, lit a rat pack match from and ordinary match and pushed the lit ratty one through the hole, we have fire. Same steel mug as before with 500ml of water and a foil lid. Piles of steam coming out past the lid before the flames died. This time there was a few small flames coming out of 2 of the side grommet holes but barely big enough to comment on.

There was however a small amount of leaking gel which then caught light. I was thinking this is really going to mess the cooker when it slowed and then stopped. I looked underneath, after the burn, to see the damage and there was none! A steady flame for around a minute but no sign afterwards. Got me thinking these will have a longer life then I thought.

Reactions: MrEd

Madriverrob

Native
Feb 4, 2008
Whitby , North Yorkshire
Mine has arrived but not fired it up yet ... its a bit blowy here at present :smile:
Will be using a gel cube initially followed by some loose liquid ( will be going in a polish tin lid to prevent any spillages ) and i then have a variety of pots and mugs to try :thumbsup:

MrEd

Life Member
Feb 18, 2010
Surrey/Sussex
www.thetimechamber.co.uk
I have one of these, I have used it a few times with fire dragon cubes. I keep it in the boot of the car with a little pack with bottle, cup and brew kit in it for emergencies.

It’s cheap so if I had to replace it every now and again it wouldn’t be so bad tbh.

Reactions: Madriverrob

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
Kept nearly getting one, don't really need one but think it's a neat design, then I noticed they were out of stock on ebay but still had them on their site so jumping to the conclusion they were running out have got herself to order me one and some cheap rations to bulk out the order.

I've not heard of the army actually adopting them so there may be a limited supply of them. Since they seam to have adopted the little fold out firedragon stove and the French the flat pack version ( that takes the foil bottomed 7g fuel packs ) as their hexi replacement I doubt the flexistove made the grade. I used to have a trials volcano type stove that ran off a jell fuel that came in plastic squeeze rubes that also failed , lack of versatility killed it I think.

Shame as if they'd taken the flexistove up they would have ended up dirt cheap on the surplus market soon enough.

Looking forward for a play when it does arrive.

Atb

Tom

Last edited:
Reactions: Madriverrob

Madriverrob

Native
Feb 4, 2008
Whitby , North Yorkshire
Just had a little brew up with mine , quite impressed, might order another just in case [mention]tombear [/mention] is correct

b7858a20d459a07d743e8aec56be36a6.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hammock_man

May 15, 2008
kent
Nice to see it being used with a non-crusader mug. I have a 1.2l mug which will take 2 rat packs at a pinch but is way too big. I just can not bring myself to buy a new mug so will have to stick with my steel pint mug.... just had a thought.... I do have a volcano stove and its mug ????

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE