Why is living in the midst of nature forbidden?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Erbswurst

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 5, 2018
Berlin
In Germany the best ground is used for farming, the places where our ancestors could forage are under the plough.
The larger wild animals are relatively shy, I guess too shy for bow or spear hunting.

But I am pretty convinced about that with a modern high end equipment, military issued stuff for example, and a Hilleberg tent, a good knife, folding bow saw and hatchet, modern hunting gun and fishing equipment, an experienced man could easily survive in the German, French, Austrian, Swiss or Polish forests just by hunting with a modern gun, angling and foraging, if he has the option to replace broken equipment and ammunition by buying it in town, because he saved up the financial reserves before he started to live like this.

It's just impossible because the legal frame doesn't allow to move through the country and live of the wildlife, for good reasons of course.

brambles

Settler
Apr 26, 2012
Aberdeenshire
"with a modern high end equipment, military issued stuff for example"

g85nRca.jpg

TLM

Nov 16, 2019
Vantaa, Finland
Well, military equipment is made by the lowest bidder. There is an actual process to try to make it suitable for the purpose, usually too many majors in the chain though. I have been a few times in the designing team for fairly standard trekking equipment, "enlightening" to comment something on it.

Erbswurst

Mar 5, 2018
Berlin
It may be sold by the lowest bidder who is able to deliver the required quality.
But compared to most civil outdoor equipment the military specifications simply demand a higher and more durable quality.

It seems to be usual that soldiers call for better equipment, and there is nothing wrong with that. But would they get issued usual civil equipment they surely would shout or cry.

TLM

Nov 16, 2019
Vantaa, Finland
It seems to be usual that soldiers call for better equipment, and there is nothing wrong with that. But would they get issued usual civil equipment they surely would shout or cry.
Not in all cases but often yes. In high end products material pricing is not that important but there is the red wolf of "how it looks" always lurking. I remember when we made some clothing for adventure racing, material was about the best money could buy, the prototypes worked surprisingly well and not too many modifications were made for the first small production run. Then they decided to take it to the market, all the features that made it work got thrown out as it "did not look" right for the "civilian" market. Sigh, well at least most of the complaints centered on what was rejected from the prototypes.

Reactions: Erbswurst

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
It depends on how you define “permission.” On all 50 States in the U.S. and in every Canadian Province the is lads and loads of public land. You do usually need a relatively inexpensive hunting license that is usually good for the entire year before needing to be renewed (do you consider that “permission?”) and you need to know and obey the individual hunting seasons and bag limits for each species (again, domyou consider that “permission?”) but you don’t need to ask any “landowner” before hunting, fishing. Camping is only slightly different in that designated campsites on that public land might require something slightly more tangible.

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
I thought about the US and public land, but yes, I think all the seasons and regulations most definitely count as required permission. You must be licensed and follow the rules. Fancy eating muskrat or racoon and think about setting traps, you are meant to have a fur bearer trapping license. If you are a non-resident none of licenses are so easy to get, nor so cheap. I know, I have done so and had I not also been a US citizen, I would have had more trouble. If the OP had been in the US, US public land would have been a good start, but he wasn't and coming from Italy, he would need a Visa in order to stay more than 90 days...if one is bothering about such things.

There can also be fire bans on BLM land, which is a bummer if that is how you are cooking everything.

And strictly speaking you are meant to have purchased a permit to collect firewood from public land too.

All in all, US public land is as fairly regulated.

Edit. When I did my road trip in the US I camped on public land a number of times and enjoyed the independence of it. Would have done more if I had been more organised. Will use it more if I ever get back to do a similar trip in the future.

Last edited:

Fadcode

Feb 13, 2016
Cornwall
I think the OP was more interested in the fact that you can't " live in the midst of nature" rather than he wanted to live in the midst of nature, I think he is one of these people who for some reason get hold of something and then start a movement against it, the link he left to that website will show he has no intention of learning Bushcraft or any other skill, except incitement.
A lot of people have nothing to do all day, and to be honest a lot of them are radicalised because of what they are reading, and tend to join into a movement without realising what they are doing.
They just want to feel wanted , and important, its sad in a way .(hankie used, violin music playing in the background)
But we are much better off without their like, but saying that we have to be careful a lot of new members, but not sure of their motives.

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
@C_Claycomb yes for a non resident the hunting and/or fishing licenses are more expensive and usually are valid for a shorter period of time than a resident license in most states. However they’re no more difficult to get. In the case of residents and non residents alike you simply walk on and buy them over the counter (both require a certificate of completion from an accredited Hunter Safety Course for anyone born after 1975) As I remember though Canada requires non residents be accompanied by either a licensed quite or a resident friend to hunt. Quite understandable given the more remote nature of most provincial lands. Licenses aside though it is more difficult for a non resident to lawfully buy a gun to hunt with. Yes, it’s difficult, if not impossible, to get permission to actually live on public land although if you live a nomadic lifestyle it might be easier.

Last edited:

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
Hi Santaman,
In fairness, part of the trouble I had with getting a non-resident hunting license in Kentucky was that I did so in the days when the internet was younger. There was no such thing as an on-line course. The The official F&WS website gave me a list of training locations and timetables for courses, none of which were local to where I was, nor during the time I was to be there. I was fortunate in that the person I visited knew someone who was an examiner, and they in turn were able to mail me VHS tapes to watch, then do a special 1 on 1 test when I arrived.

If I had not known someone with local connections it would not have been that "easy".

Then there was the fun of getting the license. The standard requirement for identification was a Social Security Number. I have one, but had never needed it before and couldn't remember it. As far as the people licensing me, I was a Brit visiting, and a passport was not acceptable identification. I had to leave, phone home, have someone find my SSN number, then go back to the store. With a SSN number, no problem, but that isn't an option available to non-US citizen non-residents. I asked them what was a visiting hunter meant to do, and apparently the idea that anyone from outside the US could visit had never entered their thoughts.

Chris

Erbswurst

Mar 5, 2018
Berlin
What does such a hunting license cost in the USA and Canada for a year if you live there and for the maximum time of a usual tourist visum?

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
Best thing to do is to look up license fees yourself by state. They are all easy to find.

Examples:-
Idaho:

New York:

It varies from state to state. I would expect the same in Canadian Provinces. There are also separate fees depending on what you want to hunt. People purchase tags (literal tags that are attached to fallen animals to show ownership, and keep track of how many are killed a year) for bear, deer, elk, moose, sheep, goats, antelope, turkeys and so on. Pigs can be a pest and tend not to need tags.

If you are going to be in a state for the full 90 tourist visa, it is likely to work out cheapest to buy an annual license. For example, a fishing license in Colorado cost a resident around $35 a year, a visitor £33 for five days, or $95 for a year.

ATB

Chris

Erbswurst

Mar 5, 2018
Berlin
Quite cheap, compared to Germany.
Although I recently did read somewhere that Germany has the highest density of huntable animals in the world, because the industrial farming offers a lot of food to the wildlife too.

Here one really can make a small business from it.

Lean'n'mean

Settler
Nov 18, 2020
France
Quite cheap, compared to Germany.
Although I recently did read somewhere that Germany has the highest density of huntable animals in the world, because the industrial farming offers a lot of food to the wildlife too.

Here one really can make a small business from it.
It would be wise to pass a geiger counter over any wild animal killed in Germany or Austria if you intend eating them. :rolleyes:

Erbswurst

Mar 5, 2018
Berlin
I personally tend to fast in Germany and to eat in France anyway.

And I have to admit, that I don't hide myself there into the woods but go to town in order to see and try what they offer.
That is my personal way to survive the whole situation.

;)

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
As C_Claycomb said, prices vary by state and prey. Most states don’t even require a license at all for “vermin: such as feral pigs, jackrabbits (in most western states) and coyotes. Nor is there a closed season on such animals in most states.

@C_clarcomb I’ve never been asked for my social security number as far as I can remember. They do usually want to see a drivers’s license or a state issued ID (for non drivers) when buying a resident license (because those IDs have your address on them, this proving your residency) Sorry you had that problem. That said, even now with the hunter safety courses mostly online you still have to find somewhere within driving distance where they offer the “range day.” It’s only been about three years since I walked my oldest grandson through the process. He took the academic portion online free (offered by the NRA) and we found a local shooting club that offered the range day (Two of the sponsors/instructors at the range qualification are a married couple that also belong to my amateur radio club)

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
@Erbswurst it might also be worth noting that licenses aren’t always required for fishing or hunting. When fishing from a charter boat or public pier the license is usually included in the trip or entry fee. Likewise when hunting or fishing with a commercial guide/outfitter the license fees are often included.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE