Why is living in the midst of nature forbidden?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Erbswurst

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 5, 2018
Berlin
If I compare this with Germany, I think, that here the state takes every cent it can get. We have a lot of such wired taxes, cigarettes, champaign, dogs, coffee, whatever...

reddave

Life Member
Mar 15, 2006
stalybridge
Something I just noticed. At the end of post 12, the op ends with a reference to a conspiracy theory site.
This is probably what is fuelling his fears, want to run away and live away from everything on his own.
I could sense something wasnt right with him somewhere. I sensed a big fear in his world. Seems this could be his trigger.
I wouldn't recommend searching for it. I've only quickly flipped through it, but it's pretty full on. Total rubbish!
I think he sees everything and everyone as a problem and possible threat.
Dont feel too bad, just get making tin hats to protect yourselves from the world elitist draining our rights and freedoms! :)
Having gone through some of that site, David Icke seems quite passe now. With age, we process and put into context, information. He doesn't have the knowledge base to do that.
He's probably running around with brown pants and his hair on fire.

• Haha
Reactions: 1 pot hunter

1 pot hunter

Banned
Oct 24, 2022
Sheffield
I have no experience, I have never made a fire, never cut down a big tree all by myself, I have never killed an animal and then eat it ... None of this. But I ask myself, "why the **** do people have to tell me that you die every time"? If you're afraid it's your problem, not mine. And that guy… Chris… he Was he an expert? What the **** are you saying? He didn't even know how meat was preserved ... I will be young, but you are too old and you are losing neurons. Look maybe I am going against the forum rules but you are just talking nonsense. Watch Life Below Zero on DMax and get educated. The human race would have been extinct long ago if it were up to you.
Life below zero is reality tv most survival shows are staged including Ed Stafford lot clever editing in them shows the only guy who seems genuine is ray mears

1 pot hunter

Banned
Oct 24, 2022
Sheffield
How much knowledge do you have?
Watch the alone series of people who are well trained and have much experience, and a great skillset living in nature. Most dont last long, and come out of the experience with lots of health problems.
Do you know how to deal with digestive troubles caused by a lack of food? How much weight can you afford to loose before you become seriously depleted ? Can you live outside in freezing cold and wet conditions, ?what about sunstroke? Do you know how to treat it when you are feverish and too weak to get water from the stream?What will you do about clothes and footwear?
How do you preserve food for lean times? Everyone thrown into these survival scenarios , while excited and eager to be stranded on a desert island, or boreal forest survival situation , struggles, and wants out in a very short time.even in a group.
Native American life is very glamourised. The reality is totaly different, and dont forget they lived in tribes, and had the knowledge of their ancestors and elders to rely on and be passed on from early childhood. Early in life, they began to train in their role in the tribe.
It's a very hard life.
I think you would be lucky to last more than a week or two without a lot more knowledge! But I sense you are young, worried, scared even, and fed up with the way the modern world is, and see that romantic version of the old ways.
Running away wont help, you would be much better employed in using that feeling to help change the world, and make it a better place for yourself, and your own future family.
I've been trying all my life, and I'm old enough to be your grandmother!
Good luck with that! It's not easy! But an awful lot easier than turning your back on it all, and trying to ignore it. Being a force for good changes is far more effective action, than what you wish to do.
I hope you will think twice.

Have just seen the above post, and I'm disappointed, as I thought that you genuinely wanted advice.
I almost deleted this post and gave up on you, but I decided to post it anyway in case anyone else wanted to ask this question.
Buena fortuna ragazzino
With all due respect alone Ed Stafford bear grylls ect are all reality tv only genuine ones are ray mears bush tucker man n maybe survivor man at a push personally the most knowledgable outdoors person I know is a old poacher at 67 yrs off age

1 pot hunter

Banned
Oct 24, 2022
Sheffield
wow.

check your attitude bud.

Do you not think life below zero is a bit staged managed for the camera? If you are basing all your knowledge on that then I am sorry, you will come unstuck.

You won’t be able to:
- just go to the shop
- charge your phone
- google search or use the internet
- or ANY of the modern things we are used to.
You will need ALL the knowledge in your head.

If you have never lit a fire, felled a tree or killed an animal how on earth do you think you would be able to warm yourself, find food, cook it, find water, build shelter.

naive is an understatement.
Classic younger immature persons attitude of ‘old people always telling me what to do when I know better than them’
Exactly

Reactions: MrEd

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
The Canadian province of British Columbia borders the Pacific coast. It is bigger than the UK+Japan+NewZealand. For the most part, it is very sparsely populated. Some cities, some villages and a great deal of empty forest.

The law says you must move your camp (on public/crown land) every 2 weeks. There are provincial primitive wilderness campsites that get used a lot (safety in numbers?) Never expect that you can just stake a claim to a little plot, throw up a big canvas tent and put your feet up for 10 years and kiss the bears good night.

Eugene Odum and other established ecologists claim that an individual needs some 15 sq km of this forest for foraging to get enough nutrients and calories to survive. Most who have tested this have died.

There are a couple of very colorful and well established "bush people" here. Government was driven off when they attempted to close the habitations. Foraging, hunting, trapping, village visits on pension day, they get along quite well.

My suggestion is to join a bush craft/camping school exercise of 7-10 days for some eye-opening experience. Then, re-evaluate where to go next.

Kav

Nomad
Mar 28, 2021
California
I was once invited to a presentation in Santa Monica California. I had been stationed on Kodiak Alaska, home to the biggest brown bears, visited Churchill and its polar bears.
Growing up in California, black bears were a common part of our extensive wilderness. I was somehow elevated in experience among some rather naive classmates in biology 1.
The lecture was by Timothy Treadwell. After a few exchanges and appraisal established, I was blunt.
‘You’re going to get yourself, possibly others and a few bears killed.’
Deja vu

Scottieoutdoors

Settler
Oct 22, 2020
Devon
Never got the chance to see this thread in its early days (2021) just seen it now.
I often wonder with these people who want to live in the wild, how they propose to hunt..? Especially those that have never killed... A rifle would be the easiest weapon to choose, but not the easiest to legally own (in most countries) and no one in their right mind would allow you to remain on their land whilst you're blundering around obliterating anything that moves...
So then what? A bow? Not in the UK, also harder to get a clean kill (assumption here), so again, no one wants to see a deer on their land dressed up like a porcupine because you're a **** shot...
Snares? Spears? Good luck...
I'd love to have a wilderness shack, where my cupboards are full of baked beans and tinned goods, maybe I'll have some cured meat and maybe even a solar icebox well insulated freezer unite with some produce I purchased "back in town" on my weekly or fortnightly visit...

I think as well people tend to forget that a lot of the romantic stories of wilderness men were based on the times and if you'd offer most of those guys a nice clean job with a warm house and creature comforts a lot of them would have been very keen.

Doesn't mean we can't step away from the overly consumerist lives we have now, but yeh...sense of reality is quite important.

Kav

Nomad
Mar 28, 2021
California
IF you can escape our cities avoiding a mass shooting ( we’ve had 660 + in the US 2022 so far)
Road rage or gang drive by, shooting in home by design or stupidity HUNTING is possible.
First you need a license after a hunting safety class, a firearm at escalating prices including cartridges and then get yourself to a legal area.
Donning safety oranges , pray some other nimrod doesn’t open fire at ‘ movement’ you stumble on a pot farm, bootleg still or just plain weird encounters. You need to learn tracking, game habits, marksmanship, dressing said animal after properly tagging and haul it out.
There’s a famous story of a game warden coming on a hunter winching his ‘Elk’ onto the lorrie. He shot someone’s mule. Game can crash in numbers from disease or changing conditions and simply hunted out.
Game can migrate out of your area
Or just get hyper alert to the new predator.
IF you overcome all the above, one sits down to a nicely cooked venison steak. I paid $15.99 a pound for my favorite cut of beef today. I figure that venison will work out to @ $ 129.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE