who is using what binoculars l?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

nodd

Nomad
May 12, 2004
liverpool
spotting scope / Binoculars are a handy bit of kit to carry when out and about for wildlife observation. I was just wondering what makes are being used?
might be a handy list for people who are looking buy a new pair or upgrade to form a short list from.
I am currently using
Opticron DBA 8x42 (which I now use a my main binoculars)
Leica Trinovid 8X20 ( handy to slip in your pocket )
Leica Televid 77 with 32 eye piece

Last edited:

dave53

On a new journey
Jan 30, 2010
wales
they are expensive bits of kit i use opticron 10x42 and a small pair of pentax 8x21x6.2 for in my pocket regards dave

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Two pair here. A full size Bushnell Sportview 8x40 is always in the truck and a mini Bushnell 8x25 is usually in my pack or hanging from my neck on a hike. Which pair I take on a hunt varies.

Barn Owl

Old Age Punk
Apr 10, 2007
Ayrshire
Swarovski EL 8x32 and Optolyth 30x75 draw scope.

Sold all my larger leicas and swaros as too heavy and cumbersome to lug about.

My pupils don't expand as much these days so I see no difference in the size of the objectives.

Doc

Need to contact Admin...
Nov 29, 2003
Perthshire
I guess I like optics:

Gray and Co 25x50 stalking telescope
Zeiss 8x42FL binos
Zeiss Jena 8x30 porroprism
Docter Optik 8x20 monocular
Helios AM6 10x42
Russian 8x30 monocular
Emoscop 'optical swiss army knife'

Oghma

Jul 22, 2011
Dolly Tub City, NW England
This might not be the place for this post - maybe it needs it's own thread, so any mods, please feel free to move it if necessary ...

I currently can't make my mind up between a spotting scope or binos - do any of you have preferences (and why do you prefer one offer the other)?
Also, are there any makes/models that you think are best avoided, whether for reasons of poor performance, bad value-for-money, poor construction - or indeed recommendations for particular ones to go for (with an estimate of required dish ;) )

Cheers
Og

Doc

Need to contact Admin...
Nov 29, 2003
Perthshire
For general wildlife observation, definitely get binos first:

Binos have a wide field of view, and are better for spotting.

Also a scope needs a tripod, or a stick, or a lying or sitting posture.

Binos are brighter in low light conditions.

Binos just get used more.

This might not be the place for this post - maybe it needs it's own thread, so any mods, please feel free to move it if necessary ...

I currently can't make my mind up between a spotting scope or binos - do any of you have preferences (and why do you prefer one offer the other)?
Also, are there any makes/models that you think are best avoided, whether for reasons of poor performance, bad value-for-money, poor construction - or indeed recommendations for particular ones to go for (with an estimate of required dish ;) )

Cheers
Og

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida

I currently can't make my mind up between a spotting scope or binos - do any of you have preferences (and why do you prefer one offer the other)?...

Do you mean "spotting" scope (a fairly large tripod mounted scope (used for viewing downrange targets to check bullet location, spotting far off game to stalk, and occasional star gazing) or are you referring to a monocular (a small one eye viewing devise; similar to 1/2 of a binocular)?

Either way I'd have to recommend a binocular for your first optics. They're small enough to be easily hiked with and give a good, clear view with both eyes (they way we're adapted to see naturally)

Imagedude

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 24, 2011
Gwynedd
Swift Audubon 8.5 x 44. Optically as good as any of the premium brands, build quality not so much.
Zeiss 8x20 monocular
Nikon HG 8x20 binos
Opticron ES80 ED scope

Oghma

Jul 22, 2011
Dolly Tub City, NW England
Do you mean "spotting" scope (a fairly large tripod mounted scope (used for viewing downrange targets to check bullet location, spotting far off game to stalk, and occasional star gazing) or are you referring to a monocular (a small one eye viewing devise; similar to 1/2 of a binocular)?

Either way I'd have to recommend a binocular for your first optics. They're small enough to be easily hiked with and give a good, clear view with both eyes (they way we're adapted to see naturally)

Santaman - I meant spotting scope... I've seen a few at around the 65mm to 80mm objective mark, some straight, some angled, and some fixed mag, some zoom... I had initially thought that they'd be a bit more versatile than binos (although more cumbersome to carry), and maybe have better eye relief - an important factor for me because I wear specs.

I've had a couple of pairs really cheap 8x20s in the past that were rubbish, mainly because of the cheapness, and I still own a pair of 10(maybe 12?)x50s (I like these for night-skywatching) which are a bit of a handful due to the magnification, and being fairly cheap are big and pretty heavy.

Still interested to hear what everyone is using, and whetehr anyone has strong feelings either way on the scope/binos debate.

Cheers
Og

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Santaman - I meant spotting scope... I've seen a few at around the 65mm to 80mm objective mark, some straight, some angled, and some fixed mag, some zoom... I had initially thought that they'd be a bit more versatile than binos (although more cumbersome to carry), and maybe have better eye relief - an important factor for me because I wear specs.

I've had a couple of pairs really cheap 8x20s in the past that were rubbish, mainly because of the cheapness, and I still own a pair of 10(maybe 12?)x50s (I like these for night-skywatching) which are a bit of a handful due to the magnification, and being fairly cheap are big and pretty heavy.

Still interested to hear what everyone is using, and whetehr anyone has strong feelings either way on the scope/binos debate.

Cheers
Og

OK then. I won't try to recommend any brands per se because the models available here might well be different from what's available there (I'll leave that to locals) You're spot on; a spotting scope can be more versatile and the price paid is the extra bulk and weight. Some of the better ones even have adapters for mounting a camera to the eyepiece.

Another drawback (besides weight/bulk) is they are slightly more cumbersome to employ when viewing a moving object; magnification and clarity are far superior though.

nodd

Nomad
May 12, 2004
liverpool
I tend to use my scope for watching more distance objects like birds on the coast or on lakes. Depending what I am doing Ill take both, my original set up being the small pair of binoculars combined with the scope.
I decided to get a larger pair of binoculars to give me a brighter image with a wider field of view and waterproof. I looked at getting a second pair of larger leica Trinovids and at the time I also looked at the DBA's which where about the same money new. I found that I could tell little difference between them for my eyes , while I was making my mined up I had a look on ebay and a pair of ex demo ones came up at half price,( when they arrived looked like they had never been used) hence I am now using my Opticron DBA's and find them a great pair of binoculars.
It is important to look through a number of different makes within your price range as what suites on person might not be for you.IMHO I find you can get into diminishing returns in that more money spent at the upper price range dose not necessarily bring big differences optical quality. I was looking for a pair of binocular with good optical quality with good close focus (watching dragonflies) rugged, waterproof and found the DBA's fitted the bill for me. There are other makes that are cheeper or more expensive that also fit those requirements.

Last edited:

Lynx

Nomad
Jun 5, 2010
Wellingborough, Northants
I bought a pair of Nikon 10x25 Sportlite Binoculars for £39.95 in a Jessops sale and they are superb. Best bino's I have ever had with crystal clear vision and really good solid construction. Highly recommended.

WoodMan

Forager
Jan 18, 2008
Norfolk
I guess I like optics:

Gray and Co 25x50 stalking telescope
Zeiss 8x42FL binos
Zeiss Jena 8x30 porroprism
Docter Optik 8x20 monocular
Helios AM6 10x42
Russian 8x30 monocular
Emoscop 'optical swiss army knife'

Ah, a fellow sufferer....i'll see your collection and raise you a couple...
Zeiss 10x40B (non rubber)
Zeiss 10x40BGAT (rubber)
Zeiss 8x20
Swaro 10x42EL
Swaro 7x42SLC
Grays draw tube
Swaro STS65
Kowa TSN

My name is Glyn and I have a problem with optic purchasing....

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE