which shelter??

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

which shelter??

• Tarp

Votes: 341 64.3%
  • Poncho

Votes: 44 8.3%
  • Tent

Votes: 152 28.7%
  • All natural ;)

Votes: 47 8.9%
  • hammock

Votes: 119 22.5%
  • other

Votes: 12 2.3%

• Total voters

william#

Settler
Sep 5, 2005
sussex
i got a hoochie and its great tarp but a bit on the heavy bulky size have thought about getting a british army poncho again but tbh i think im looking for something bigger light big and hardwearing
any tips ?
oh yes and not high on the pennys

Spacemonkey

Native
May 8, 2005
Llamaville.
www.jasperfforde.com
I'm into these goretex bivvy tents at the mo. Weigh 1.2kg all in and are quite small pack size.

Out&

Also use hammock and basha if I know for sure that trees are on the menu..

DSC00038small.jpg

DSC00037.JPG

DSC00026small.jpg

DSC00025_small.jpg

I'm keen to hear of your opinion of the hooped marines goretex bivi in the picture. I had one but to be honest with the hoops inserted there is no room at all. I could not sleep on my side as the hoops were too small. I used to tie the bivi up and use it like an extra large bivi but i found that the the condensation inside was a huge problem in the winter.

Brian

Settler
Nov 6, 2003
Saltburn
w00dsmoke,

I think you must be a bit bigger across the shoulders than me mate as I don't have much of a problem lying on my side in mine. I've been using a Mountain Range double hooped bivi for about 12 years in all kinds of weather and not had any great problems with it, I prefer it to a normal bivi because it keeps the material off my face. It is fairly minimal though, not exactly spacious inside but just big enough for me and my boots

Brian

Spacemonkey

Native
May 8, 2005
Llamaville.
www.jasperfforde.com
I'm a tall skinny runt, so I have loads of room. I store my kit in the entrance end no problems. On this trip, my mate didn't use his poles to see how he got on. He found the bergen worked as a pole of sorts and kept the bag off his face. Yes, there is a little condensation, but not much. Overall, I like them as they are small, lightwweight, and blend in really well. I don't like to ruin the view of the countryside for other people when I'm in it, so prefer OG etc over bright red and all that.

woodstock

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 7, 2007
off grid somewhere else
In the past I have used many forms of shelter the one I have used more than most is the basha easy and quick to erect light and durable I have recently started to use a hammock and tarp

Spacemonkey

Native
May 8, 2005
Llamaville.
www.jasperfforde.com
Looks pretty good. The side zip would be a great bonus compared to mine. With mine, you have to slide in feet first and then when in fully, pull your kit/ruck in after you and then push it into the front bit under the zip. It's easier than it sounds, and I can get out quick if need be, but larger people need not apply. Side entry/exit will be much quicker..

One drawback with these designs is that it is difficult to change clothing when inside, and there is no way to hang wet clothing either. I have not used it to get in and out in the rain, but you would get wet and then so would your sleeping bag I'd guess. If this bothers you, you could always carry a very lightweight tarp to hang over the top.

Spacemonkey

Native
May 8, 2005
Llamaville.
www.jasperfforde.com
Hey SpaceMonkey I take it you like the DPM stuff then:) !!

:lmao:

I prefer the OG stuff myself, but as I sell some of the stuff, it would be silly not to use it. I get unused issue kit direct from MOD and suppliers sales via a mate. ;)

And I do actually like cammo gear. I collect various world cammos. My fave is my modern Japanese JGDSF uniform which is ultra rare and actually brand new in my size!! And I'm 6'2"!! An excellent summer cammo pattern..

DSC00180.jpg

I know there are some anti-cammo snobs on here:deal:, but, hey, it's a free country and we don't all want to be Ray Mears clones.. ;) and for some people, that's all they can afford, and Bushcraft is about making the most of the minimum you have..

Oh, and I like camping off piste so low height cammo tents are perfect..:eek:

Now remember, cammo is not a dirty word, crevice is a dirty word... :lmao:

SimonM

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 7, 2007
East Lancashire
www.wood-sage.co.uk
What i sleep in / under depends on what i am doing at the time! I run D o E Award expeditions and for that i usually take a Vaude Hogan tent (not the lightest but bomb proof!). If i am out alone and the terrain is suitable i prefer to sleep under a tarp with a bivvy bag - it lets you see, hear and smell your surroundings all the better!

pollitt

Jan 1, 2007
Dover, Kent, UK
If im with others or at proper camping sites i'll take my vaude hogan. As simon said above its not the lightest but its a very good tent. If its me out in the woods i like a tarp and hammock best, just feels the best for me, your protected from rain but you can still see around and its so much more versatile than a tent

Stuart

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE