which shelter??

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

which shelter??

• Tarp

Votes: 341 64.3%
  • Poncho

Votes: 44 8.3%
  • Tent

Votes: 152 28.7%
  • All natural ;)

Votes: 47 8.9%
  • hammock

Votes: 119 22.5%
  • other

Votes: 12 2.3%

• Total voters

hedgerow pete

Need to contact Admin...
Jan 10, 2010
smethwick , west midlands
i have always been a tarp man as i can do what ever shape and size i want with it all you need is some para cord and away you go, but at the moment i am starting to sofen up so a small tent will proberly be brought next year, as for the poncho , these are great items of kit and everyone should have one a lot easier than a great big coat and you can walk with your ruck sac under it, there is one thing that i dont do never have ever done it after a weeks use and thats a hamock, great for kit but not for me, not without stabilizers and hand rails ha ha ha ha

hogstable

Forager
Nov 18, 2004
sheffield
There is a Norwegian item that is like a poncho but you get into so you are enclosed. Think it might sound a bit like Jes something something. Used by hunters and carried in F16 cockpits. That should be quite interesting. I thought once of a doubled skin poncho made out of ventile with a velcro'd side so you could get inside it, looks like they beat me to it!!

I'm sure theirs would be much higher quality though!!

grumit

Settler
Nov 5, 2003
guernsey
tarp and hammock or if it realy turns crap a small german fortification only i use as as it at the bottum of an overgrown area i get to it up the rocks by kayak

maddave

Jan 2, 2004
Manchester UK
I guess igloos count as natural... I've only done that twice but they are the business... snow holes come a poor second. In the woods I'm a hammock man.

Great aren't they??

axnp8g.jpg

TinkyPete

Sep 4, 2009
uk mainly in the Midlands though
I use various forms of shelter, mainly bivi bags and tarp set ups less the Meets which I have tended to use tents, and normal camping trips :) I am still a ground dweller although I am thinking about swinging :) but still not made my mind yet as to what to do about it, I think try before you by is going to be my approach.

PRKL

Nomad
Jan 27, 2010
Finland
http://www.kolumbus.fi/bjorn.corander/laavut.htm
(site of B.Corander shows good shots of erätoveri.Corander is one of our most respected survival gurus.)

I use this basha/tarp cloth quite a lot,those are here popular among traditional hikers around the year and history of this goes to late 60´s.Its called"erätoveri",often referred just as ET or Toveri,the whole name translated somewaht like...wilderness-buddy,very versatile piece of kit.

http://images.google.fi/images?q=erätoveri&um=1&ie=UTF-8&sa=N&hl=fi&tab=wi

check out various ways to set it if youre interested:

http://www.patikka.net/Muuta/eratoveri/FrameSet.htm

Last edited:

Bush_Man

Tenderfoot
Jun 25, 2010
Portugal
Normally I sleep in a tent or a natural shelter but, i'm thinking about getting a hammock and a tarp and see if I like it...

bilmo-p5

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 5, 2010
west yorkshire
After years of seriously heavy canvas, bought a True North Big Tarp just before Easter and on Good Friday, at the tender age of 54, spent my first night under a tarp.
Absolutely delighted with it and looking forward to the winter ...

BT1.JPG

BT2.JPG

TaTanka

Need to contact Admin...
Jul 28, 2010
Texas
Tarp most often. I enjoy making and using natural shelters but as I'm normally in West Texas for my excursions I don't have the material to really work with. Juniper and Mesquite are generally the only things I can use and they don't work to well for a shelter. When I'm up in the mountains I build natural shelters.

BarryG

Nomad
Oct 30, 2007
NorthWest England
Depends, but I mostly use a tarp and/ or bivy,
I build natural shelters to keep my hand in, and ive kipped down in a few, but its mostly for trying out new ideas & practice,

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE