which shelter??

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

which shelter??

• Tarp

Votes: 341 64.3%
  • Poncho

Votes: 44 8.3%
  • Tent

Votes: 152 28.7%
  • All natural ;)

Votes: 47 8.9%
  • hammock

Votes: 119 22.5%
  • other

Votes: 12 2.3%

• Total voters
H

High on Hex

I take nothing and hope to find a dead camel i can hollow out.

david0607

Jan 20, 2008
liverpool
Vango's for my Students, Tarp for me, Just a Sleeping bag and Bivi bag is good if the sky is clear, might be tempted to buy a Swag though

kai055

Forager
Dec 29, 2006
Hornchurch
has ne one just used a survival bag and a sleeping bag/army blanket cos that is realli good as well, even just the survival bag on its own u get well hot inside them

durulz

Need to contact Admin...
Jun 9, 2008
Elsewhere
Depends on the weather.
But 99% of the time it's a tarp/basha.
If it's the middle of summer then you don't even need that - sleeping bag/bivibag is all you need. Cuts down on the weight (although if we're in the woods then I generally still hoist the basha, just to stop small twigs and things dropping onto oneself during the night).
Oh, and you don't need trees to put up a tarp (although you will need a couple of poles and some bungees) - if you look at my profile picture you can see my basha put up without being tied to trees - peg one edge down then use a couple of basha poles in the other two corners and use the bungees to pull tight.

andybysea

Oct 15, 2008
South east Scotland.
It used to be 58 patt poncho and bivy for me, but just switched to a more spacious,3mx3m tarp bivy combo_Occasionaly use a one man tent if im going midgy infested areas of north west Scotland in the summer,as i have a reaction to the bites
which weep and crust over on me,Nice!

harryhaller

Settler
Dec 3, 2008
Bruxelles, Belgium
May 28, 2009
UK
I chose other. I usually sleep in a DD hammock or if its cold I'll put a sleeping bag in the hammock. Over it I will either put up a DPM basha or a US poncho

harryhaller

Settler
Dec 3, 2008
Bruxelles, Belgium
one more vote for the poncho for a combo of lightweight,versitile and easy to set up i cant beat or fault it
cheers
Sam

How do you set up your poncho, Sam? I'm very interested in the use of a poncho as a shelter since it would save the weight of a tarp. How do you set it up when it is already raining and you're wearing the poncho?

MIchael

Hi Michael
If it is already raining I tend to give it a little while hoping that the rain will go away!
if that isnt gonna happen I make sure my bergan is out of the rain as best I can, (usually by wrapping it in a bin bag or a rucksack cover). I tie a ridgeline between the two trees i have chosen and prussick knot the two central attachment points to the ridge line and tighten, peg the four corners out using IPK pegs attached to the corner attachment loops. This works best if you pack a set of dry clothes that you only wear when you've set up camp.
If I am taking a hammock I hang it in the same way but using the corners of the poncho rather than the central attachment points so it is hanging in a diamond shape.
If the weather is fine then I hang the poncho by again putting a ridgeline between two trees but attaching one whole side to the ridgeline and pegging the other side down at a 60degree angle to encourage any rainfall to not get me, i then have an open sided shelter one end i block with bergan one end i tend to keep my feet at, once in bivi bag its quite snug and cosy and by locating the fire in front of the shelter its very warm!
i have got a 58pattern sleeping bag that has poppers which you can snap onto the poncho to make a mini sheleter but i havent experimented with this yet.
hope this helps and makes sense
cheers
Sam

Bushcraftsman

Native
Apr 12, 2008
Derbyshire
I use a DD Hammock and the DD 3x3m tarp! cant beat them...easy to set up and a comfortable night sleep! :D then if its cold, like BushcraftBaird, I'll throw in a sleeping bag.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE