which shelter??

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

which shelter??

• Tarp

Votes: 341 64.3%
  • Poncho

Votes: 44 8.3%
  • Tent

Votes: 152 28.7%
  • All natural ;)

Votes: 47 8.9%
  • hammock

Votes: 119 22.5%
  • other

Votes: 12 2.3%

• Total voters

oldsoldier

Forager
Jan 29, 2007
MA
I'll go with the poncho most of the year. Winter, I used a BD megamid (floorless shelter). You cant cheat with winter in new england...it gets COLD!!!!

JonnyP

Oct 17, 2005
Cornwall...
Hmmmmm, landrover is not on the list...Just boarded out the roof rack to take a tent and am boarding out the inside to create a sleeping, cooking area....

Greg

Jul 16, 2006
Pembrokeshire
I love sleeping out under a tarp, good protection but you still get the feeling of being close to nature - Ummm! that kind of makes me sound like a tree hugger:lmao:

gunnix

Nomad
Mar 5, 2006
Belgium
w00dsmoke said:
For many years I used two German army poncho's then a Uk one studded onto a 58 bag then a bivi sheet/bag and now a TIPI after many tents.

Why?

In my opinion only a fool would use a poncho tarp combo in some of the high windier wilder parts of scotland in winter (I know because I was that poor fool for many years!)

Tent / bivi sheet for some of the year is okay but a guy needs to be mossie free when changing cooking etc

Tent is great fulfills many needs warmth, shelter, space etc

But hey a TIPI and you have all the benefits of a tarp with the protection of a tent!

Can't imagine how you'd carry a tipi in your backpack though

L

lukeuk2

i like to use a golite hex 3 tent, its light and water proof.

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
Nathan Sturgess said:
I prefer natural shelter but i voted Tarp because it is more practical and quicker to set up than a natural shelter

To be honest, I pitched my Golite Hex 3 quicker than a tarp was setup, and a tarp/hammock was setup as well last weekend. The Hex will give me four season shelter, without the nest insert its no heavier than a tarp/hammock, I can use it without a pole (strung on a line, or hung off a branch) and the nest insert makes me midge proof.

I will get a big Tipi sometime this year, I'm really looking forward to that. I'm not anti tarp or hammock, but I'm 52 and want ease of use to be honest and the Hex gives me that (as I hope a bigger Tipi will too).

Zodiak

Settler
Mar 6, 2006
Kent UK
I voted tent as I use it most, but would have gone tarp for choice.

Much of my camping is done of scout sites, (22 nights last year) and as much as I hate to say it tarps are not secure, and I would not be able to leave my kit. Not only would it walk but every passing cub seems to think my hammock is a playground and several times the little :cussing: have run up to it and tried to climb in!

I probably use the tarp/hammock three or four times a year, but thats only when I am alone or just my unit somewhere safe.

As for SWMBO, if she comes that it has to be the 6 man dome tent for just the two of us (did I tell you she takes a collapsible clothes rack and a suitcase ?- I kid you not!) :lmao:

Wayland

Hárbarðr
I recon a tarp takes some beating.

Bushfire.jpg

Big Bad Stu

Nomad
Jul 18, 2006
Shropshire
Zodiak,

That thing about taking the wife camping sounds very familiar! We use a Coleman Quadspace - 30kgs, 75 pegs and three bedrooms!

Wayland, great photo as usual. :You_Rock_

I prefer a tarp and hammock, it makes you part of the woods not shut away from them like in a tent.

Stewey. :D

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE