which shelter??

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

which shelter??

• Tarp

Votes: 341 64.3%
  • Poncho

Votes: 44 8.3%
  • Tent

Votes: 152 28.7%
  • All natural ;)

Votes: 47 8.9%
  • hammock

Votes: 119 22.5%
  • other

Votes: 12 2.3%

• Total voters

nameless

Forager
Jan 1, 2004
at home
hey i was just wondering who prefers a certain type of shelter i know i prefer a poncho type because of its many uses and size :eek:): which do you mostly use or prefer?oh and you can make multiple choisces on the pol :Crazy_071

Squidders

Aug 3, 2004
Harrow, Middlesex
tarp / tent 50/50... I like ponchos because they can be a reasonable shelter in an emergency but I mainly use them as ponchos.

If i'm in cold weather or have gear with me that will be in view when I leave my sleeping area I prefer a tent.

Otherwise, tarp.

TheViking

Native
Jun 3, 2004
I could only vote once. :?: Voted for natural, because there is more bushcraft in building a shelter from the materials around one. But poncho would have been my 2'nd vote, cause it has multiple uses and is easy to set up. :)

hootchi

Settler
It was going to do Tarp and tent 50/50 I only managed to post once.

I think a poncho is a bit of a compromise compared to a tarp. If its raining, you're wearing your poncho, and you need to put a shelter....

And poncho's are too small for me so I don't use them in that respect.

Ranger Bob

Nomad
Aug 21, 2004
Suffolk
I went for natural, because there nothing like a well built natural shelter with a fire, but in reality I mostly use a tarp.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Has anyone tried one of those giant fishing brollies with the wrap around back piece that you can peg down. I'm wondering about making it into a staff and filling in the front with midgie netting.

Toddy

JimH

Nomad
Dec 21, 2004
Stalybridge
Toddy said:
Has anyone tried one of those giant fishing brollies with the wrap around back piece that you can peg down. I'm wondering about making it into a staff and filling in the front with midgie netting.

Toddy

Generally pretty bulky and heavy in my experience. Some designs are unstable at the sort of windspeeds that any tent would shrug off. You also need a good depth of soil for the pole (more than tentpegs).

I stopped using one in favour of a basha sheet and a couple of long banksticks well under half the weight.

Be OK if you fancied a 3lb staff 4" thick for bashing people with...

...On the subject of which, I seem to recall you mentioning the Gadgaelar (sp?) at some point. Would that be a re-enactment group of same name?

Jim.

bambodoggy

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 10, 2004
Surrey
www.stumpandgrind.co.uk
I've ticked Tarp as it's wat I use most but I also like my Poncho's just as much....and if I had the time and materials then I'd prefer a natural shelter....the only one of the bunch I don't like is the tent.... :pack:

Furface

Jan 13, 2005
Gloucester
After many nights under a poncho, the extra room of a tarp was such luxury :lol:

My dog prefers a tent: If we're sleeping in the open, she always tries to get back to the van!! :Crazy_071

jack29g

Forager
Sep 17, 2004
Leicester
i would go for natural but if you can make more than one anything except a pocho. I don't see how you can spend a decent night sleep in whats :yikes: basicly a jacket

Rhapsody

Forager
Jan 2, 2005
Aldershot, nr. Guildford, UK
I make natural shelters whenever I camp out overnight, but I always take a basha with me for emergencies...

Crawling into a natural shelter that you've just busted a gut putting up at the end of the day is one of the things that, for me, distiguishes a backwoods camp from a regular one. It's certainly more fulfilling!

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
{Be OK if you fancied a 3lb staff 4" thick for bashing people with...}

Hmmm, I'm sure I can lighten that a bit...

{...On the subject of which, I seem to recall you mentioning the Gadgaelar (sp?) at some point. Would that be a re-enactment group of same name?

Jim.[/QUOTE]}

Gadgedlar is a re-enactment group, fun people, down sizing according to the gossip, just now (nasty divorce somewhere :cry: )

I work with Galgael, http://www.galgael.org
It's an Education charitable Trust teaching traditional handcrafts and they are also fun people, mad as hatters, sailed/rowed in an open birlinn, they'd built, to Ireland last year, in gales, etc. to the Magnus Barelegs festival, had a ceilidh, got plastered in reaction (as one does) and still won the races against some impressive opposition. Me...I do the weaving, natural dyes, cordage, some of the ropework. Very tame in comparison :)

Thanks for the info,
Toddy, aka Mary Craig, I'm the brunette....dreadful photo, sorry, local paper.

bambodoggy

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 10, 2004
Surrey
www.stumpandgrind.co.uk
jack29g said:
i would go for natural but if you can make more than one anything except a pocho. I don't see how you can spend a decent night sleep in whats :yikes: basicly a jacket

I think you're getting a bit confused about what we mean by a Poncho Matey.... What we're talking about is basically a Tarp that has a Hood in it and can popper together to make a large rain cape.... to use as a shelter you just use the hoods draw cord to seal it off and then use it exactly as you would a tarp....

hope that makes more sence now :biggthump

RovingArcher

Need to contact Admin...
Jun 27, 2004
Monterey Peninsula, Ca., USA
I prefer to build an all natural shelter when I can. However, because the materials aren't always readily available without cutting live flora (oops not fauna :eek:): ), I chose the poncho, because of it compact carry, lite weight and versatility.

JimH

Nomad
Dec 21, 2004
Stalybridge
Toddy said:
Gadgedlar is a re-enactment group, fun people, down sizing according to the gossip, just now (nasty divorce somewhere :cry: )

Sounds like them :roll: . Last I heard they were all up in arms against Alan Gault, their erstwhile leader.

Sorry for going off topic.

I've got an old fishing brolly (sans extension sides) if you can make use of it experimentally - give you an idea of the size and bulk . Be dear to post, tho'...

Jim.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Thanks for the offer....I think there's one kicking about in our loft too, somewhere....I was trying to make something like the Chinese parasols, I know, DIY gone nuts :) and then thought about a kind of pop up teepee and then came across a fishing shelter brolly and went, "Ahhhh????" and then I saw this thread and asked if anyone had used one before.
Wonder if I can make it oval when it opens?

Thanks,
Toddy

ChrisKavanaugh

Need to contact Admin...
Using ponchos and zeltbans for a primary shelter is a spinoff of military multitasking. The minimal wieght and bulk of a quality tarp/basha makes it 'penny wize and pound foolish' not to include in a kit.I did my military service thankyou very much and have no inclination to abuse my middle aged body further.It's no fun waking up and waiting for various bodyparts to join the effort :shock: . In combination with a poncho AND natural shelter materials I have options to create superior shelter in any clime. This way I can enjoy the present instread of remembering the stupid bravery of my youth :roll:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE