which SAK?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Scuba Pete

Forager
Nov 3, 2005
Glasgow
I was just browsing on the site and I noticed a thread about SAK. I have not had one in years, since I was a boy.(Prolly a knock off version, heh)

I have a leatherman, which is a good tool but I like the idea of SAK for everyday use/camping/bushcraft.

I never knew they many so many types, its amazing. I can see all the tools would be useful, but I cant have them all.

Which would you recommend? I know this is a bit open ended, but in your experience which ones are of the greatest use.

Thanks

Pete

Bjorn Victor

Forager
Apr 3, 2006
Belgium
Hello Peter,

I have one with 2 blades, wood saw, scissors, bottle opener and can opener. The other side is a sort of spike, a hook and a cork screw.

I do not know the exact name of the model, but it covers all my needs, it is about as thick as it is high, so it feels very nice in my hands. Some knives with more tools are wider and feel a bit awkward when you work with them.
It is not the longer blade version (the big blade does not lock). This is a good thing for me because now the knife fits nicely in the little coin pocket inside my right jeans pocket.

Hope this helps.

SAK's are still the best tools you can get for the money.

Bjorn

EDIT:
I found it: it is the huntsman.
http://www.swissarmy.com/MultiTools/Product.htm?category=sportsandleisure&product=53201&

rich59

Maker
Aug 28, 2005
London
Swiss Army Knife useful tools

Depends on what the task is what tool I need. Mine has just 6 tools I think. I miss a saw blade but otherwise 2 blades, screw driver, can openner and perforating tool go a long way.

Any interesting/ unconventional uses anyone?

Danceswithhelicopters

Sep 7, 2004
Scotland
My vote is for the large Victorinox ones. The type with the sculpted handles and the longer locking main blade. The Old Bundeswehr and new Bundeswehr types are great but they don't have a cork screw, which if you like a bottle of red can be a disadvantage :D
A Mauser Victorinox is also a bit of a classic.
As for the smaller ones I like the Wengers with the locking blade as a safety feature.

scoops_uk

Nomad
Feb 6, 2005
Jurassic Coast
Oooh can of worms!!!

Victorinox or Wenger???

I have a Victorinox Hunter and a discontinued Wenger (like a classic 14 but with a woodsaw as well)

They are both great carry the Wenger day to day as the Victorinox locks and over 3.5".

Scoops

MartiniDave

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 29, 2003
Cambridgeshire
Bjorn's knife is a model called the Huntsman - one of my personal favourites, along with the Camper, which lacks scissors and hook.
Our friends across the pond rave about the Farmer, which is a good knife, basically the issue Soldier with a woodsaw, but is hard to find over here, I have one and it is very good, but having anodised aluminium scales it lacks the toothpick and tweezers of the regular plastic handles, it also does not have the corckscrew I often find useful! :eek:

Generally I prefer a model with the saw, as the back of the saw work wonderfully with a firesteel, as long as you hold the sawblade carefully and firmly.

I think for the price SAK's represent great value for money and are still quite "sheeple" friendly.

One warning - they CAN be addictive, I have well over 20, try following the link in my sig.

Dave

Reactions: Buckshot

Scuba Pete

Forager
Nov 3, 2005
Glasgow
I am just looking now. I wanted one that did not lock, so I dont get grief about carring it in public.

My leatherman is great, I used it everyday at work and it is always on my belt. Its one of the orginal ones. However it does not have a woodsaw, which would be handy. Also its not really compfy for cutting. I carved a spoon the otherday at work, and my hand hurt alot after, hehe.

Pete

steven andrews

Settler
Mar 27, 2004
Jersey
If you want a saw the Farmer is good.

For everyday use I like the Bantam. It is very compact and has features that I find handy. The toothpick and tweezers get used a lot - it's a shame that the Alox models don't have them.

The Lumberjack is a Bantam with the addition of a saw. I bought this one for my daughter:

Hoodoo

Nov 17, 2003
Michigan, USA
Scuba Pete said:
I am just looking now. I wanted one that did not lock, so I dont get grief about carring it in public.

My leatherman is great, I used it everyday at work and it is always on my belt. Its one of the orginal ones. However it does not have a woodsaw, which would be handy. Also its not really compfy for cutting. I carved a spoon the otherday at work, and my hand hurt alot after, hehe.

Pete

Since you alreaday have the LM on your hip, I'm assuming you want something for pocket carry, so not too big. My top three choices would be the camper, hiker, and harvester. All of these will give you the saw and the alox harvester has a very useful awl because it comes at the end. I like it better than the LM awl. If you want to go a bit bigger, then the Huntsman.

I think the thing to do is try to complement your LM as much as you can, although a little duplication won't hurt. :)

jdlenton

Dec 14, 2004
Northampton
I carry a huntsman as my edc it has just about everything i need on it isn't too big and didn't break the bank great little piece of kit when i'm out bushcrafting it lives in my possibles pouch too

Ogri the trog

Mod
Mod
Apr 29, 2005
Mid Wales UK
jdlenton said:
I carry a huntsman as my edc ....

Hi James,
Hope you don't mind me asking, how does the locking large blade sit on your consience? I carry one of either Leatherman, Gerber or Swisstool as edc, all of which have locking blades but I'm looking for something more sheeple friendly - though it's not easy with hands as big as hams! And I've got a huge pouch to fill ;)
I've never had trouble in the past but that only goes to shorten the odds of being "found in possesion" in the future

ATB

Ogri the trog

jdlenton

Dec 14, 2004
Northampton
not a problem with asking ogri:)

this is the sak i carry and its not locking so no problem i work in a school too so i need to be very careful
when I'm in school it lives in my bag under my desk in a locked office and only sees the light of day when i require it in my job role on the way to and from work i have it to use no problem

Ogri the trog

Mod
Mod
Apr 29, 2005
Mid Wales UK
Well that clears things up a bit,
I thought you were on about the other huntsman.

Thanks for the prompt reply

ATB

Ogri the trog

PS just realised that the bigger version is called the Hunter, not Huntsman :(

addyb

Native
Jul 2, 2005
Vancouver Island, Canada.
I carried a Bantam as my EDC for a while, but I kept having problems with the combination can/bottle opener. As good as it is, the combi tool isn't quite the same as the two individual tools.

At the moment my EDC is the Driver model. It's perfect!

I bought this at Christmas time but ended giving it to my Father because he couldn't stop talking about it. Personally, I think the Compact is most perfect SAK in existance.....as long as you're a climber. If you're a bushcrafter, it won't do you any damn good when you're out there.

useless

Tenderfoot
Oct 20, 2005
Hampshire, UK
I've got one of these...

http://www.mec.ca/Products/product_...older_id=2534374302696789&bmUID=1154964849204

Weighs a ton (almost), and I wouldn't buy it now, as it's a bit big. However, I love it and carry it almost every day. It's been very useful in the woods, as well as the office. I think it gets used at least twice a week. I have a little belt pouch to carry it in.

However, I must say that I've met no one who has a problem with it. Some think I'm trying to be a cub scout, but on the whole it only ever comes out when it's needed, so mostly people are just pleased I've got it. A very handy bit of kit!

jdlenton

Dec 14, 2004
Northampton
useless said:
I've got one of these...

http://www.mec.ca/Products/product_detail.jsp?PRODUCT%3C%3Eprd_id=845524441931689&FOLDER%3C%3Efolder_id=2534374302696789&bmUID=1154964849204

Weighs a ton (almost), and I wouldn't buy it now, as it's a bit big. However, I love it and carry it almost every day. It's been very useful in the woods, as well as the office. I think it gets used at least twice a week. I have a little belt pouch to carry it in.

However, I must say that I've met no one who has a problem with it. Some think I'm trying to be a cub scout, but on the whole it only ever comes out when it's needed, so mostly people are just pleased I've got it. A very handy bit of kit!

oow a champ my dad had one of these when i was a boy (he's still got it i think) i wanted that knife so much :eek:

pteron

Acutorum Opifex
Nov 10, 2003
Wiltshire
pteron.org
jdlenton said:
oow a champ my dad had one of these when i was a boy (he's still got it i think) i wanted that knife so much :eek:

I bought one when I was in Geneva in 87 for a conference, it came with the little pouch and sharpening rod etc. It's a bit big for everyday carry so it lives in my treasures box now.

My Dad had one too and I've inherited it, so now I have two. (Actually I'd rather still have my Dad)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE