SAK hacks

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Woody girl

Mar 31, 2018
Exmoor
Finaly discovered the saw on my camper! I know that sounds silly, but I never knew it had one. I just assumed it was a dividing bar , but seeing the camper was supposed to have a saw, it took me a few mins to "get it"
My origional was a gift, and I've bought a few others over the years so I keep one in each kit system.

Reactions: British Red

Kav

Nomad
Mar 28, 2021
California
The pins were sourced from a forgotten army reserve along with tactical bicycles next to a chocolate factory. Varusteleka tried to buy them, but Victorinox pulled nationalist rank and stuck it to them.

Ozmundo

Jan 15, 2023
Sussex
The pen slot is more obvious than the pin hole as it's at the end of the scale rather than tucked away behind the corkscrew.

We need some folks with SAK's that have corkscrews to check if they've got a pin hole
I have a new Spartan pin hole is there. :cool:

I may change the scales as mine is black.
2A9DE02C-6C66-4202-9715-EB900A57B8BD.jpeg

The mini screwdriver was £3.50 posted from eBay. You can get a full set of mini tools for about £5-6 I believe and Geri rods for under £10.

Great video. :)

Reactions: British Red

demographic

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 15, 2005
-------------
Is this the "proving that blokes don't read instructions" thread?

Instrucrions? They're just for the people who don't know what they're doing!

Can I also add to the things that swiss army knives can do is the hook on the swisschamp makes a good exhaust spring puller.

If you don't know what an exhaust spring is, its used to hold the expansion chamber onto the exhaust side of the cylinder head of one of my bikes.

Reactions: William_Montgomery

Glass-Wood-Steel

Jul 31, 2016
Cheshire
I have successfully changed the scales on my newly purchased Ranger model SAK for a set of plus scales I got from Amazon for about £16. With these you get the scales plusa full set of tools including the biro and a pin. I have swapped the toothpick for one of those Tortoise gear fire starters.
20230707_113345.jpg
20230707_113357.jpg
20230707_113414.jpg
20230707_113421.jpg
20230707_113435.jpg

gg012

Sep 23, 2022
SE
That's very nice work there, well done! These scales illustrate the extra tool slot very well, you can see it on the corkscrew side at the opposite end of the knife to the others, going up at an angle to the left. Might be worth opening this up so you don't lose the toothpick

Sent from underground

Reactions: Glass-Wood-Steel

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
Has anyone modified an Alox Farmer X to take the tweezers? - that's all it needs to be the perfect suit pocket knife IMO :) (and is it even possible to do? I've never taken the scales off an Alox knife).

Stew

Bushcrafter through and through
Nov 29, 2003
Aylesbury
stewartjlight-knives.com
Has anyone modified an Alox Farmer X to take the tweezers? - that's all it needs to be the perfect suit pocket knife IMO :) (and is it even possible to do? I've never taken the scales off an Alox knife).
Alox scales are riveted through as well as being liner less.

I could see it being quite doable though with some careful drilling. The one time I’ve redone an alox the original scales were to go so I didn’t need to go gentle!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE