SAK hacks

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Mors K once said that the best survival knife is the one that you have with you when you need it!

I genuinely believe that the Swiss Army Knife has a lot to commend it as an EDC knife. It's tools are great, it's pretty cheap and it's seen as an inoffensive tool.

But did you know the standard sized SAK can be adapted to hold a pen, a pin for blisters and even to have bright, visible scales?

Our latest YouTube video shows how

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
I agree Steve, I like the alox ones but...no tweezers. I like the pen but it only comes on knives a bit too chunky for me to carry all the time. Once I found out about swapping scales (and the pin - I honestly never knew it was there) I had a lightbulb moment. It really is super easy too.
Nice video Hugh.

I have an Alox Farmer and my one bug bear about it is it doesn't have the cut outs for the mini tools

Jared

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 8, 2005
Wales
It's why I carry a Farmer and a Classic SD.

Do have a Walker too, which can do most of what the Farmer does, and has the mini tools. It's a shame Victorinox discontinued it earlier this year.

Reactions: British Red

gg012

Sep 23, 2022
SE
That is a brilliant video and a really good explanation of how, and why, you can change the scales on a SAK.

What I didn't realise is that there is a third slot in the scale with the toothpick in, at the opposite end. I had never noticed it until it was pointed out to me but it's obvious now. I think that on the models with an LED torch built in this is used for a shortened toothpick. If you get one of these you can open the slot up with a knife, put the mini toothpick in there then use your toothpick skit for one of the tiny firesteels you can get now.

Sent from underground

Wildgoose

May 15, 2012
Middlesex
Another great video BR. I didn’t realise the pin hole was there on my explorer.
I resisted the red knife for years but I’m a convert now.

Now I’m off to find a pin…

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Another great video BR. I didn’t realise the pin hole was there on my explorer.
I resisted the red knife for years but I’m a convert now.

Now I’m off to find a pin…
I didn't know about them either for along time - it felt like a little bonus!

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Does make me wonder why they couldn’t have put a pin in the hole, given that they lost it as a feature on other models
My Hunsman Light had a SAK pin. My Camper had a hole, but no pin. I wonder if it was there originally but I lost it?

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
But wouldn't they then make a hole for the pen on most models?
The pen slot is more obvious than the pin hole as it's at the end of the scale rather than tucked away behind the corkscrew.

We need some folks with SAK's that have corkscrews to check if they've got a pin hole

Jared

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 8, 2005
Wales
Of the official current models, 8 come with a pin.

Pin holes might be more common, some say all 91mm corkscrew models have the pin hole, but not sure.

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Of the official current models, 8 come with a pin.

Pin holes might be more common, some say all 91mm corkscrew models have the pin hole, but not sure.
I do find economising on pins weird

Reactions: Wildgoose

Woody girl

Mar 31, 2018
Exmoor
I have a couple of campers, and there is a pin hole but no pins.
I've remedied that.
The pin hole is so tiny and hidden, you'd never know it was there unless you'd been told. Thanks BR.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE