Swiss Army Knife repairs. USEFUL INFORMATION

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

demented dale

Dec 16, 2021
hell
It is known that all SAKs have a guarantee and will be mended free of charge. This comes as standard but recently I asked about getting some blades replaced and mended that were damaged/ worn down by me. This is not covered . However I was told it would cost me a maximum of £9.98p. I sent the knife off to the SAK center in the UK who in turn sent it off to Switzerland to be mended. It took about 6 weeks but when it came back it was like a brand new knife. They replaced 4 blades. (I only asked about two). Replaced tweezers, toothpick and pin and fitted new scales and lanyard ring. I was chuffed to bits and figured it was well worth sharing as a resource on this forum.

gg012

Sep 23, 2022
SE
Thanks for the tip, I just enquired about getting the blade replaced on my GAK

Sent from underground

Erbswurst

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 5, 2018
Berlin
I recently payed just 8 € for the same service in the Victorinox owned shop in Cologne, approximately 200 steps away from the cathedral. Didn't yet come along to pick it up though, but if I remember it right they even offered to send it to me.

daveO

Native
Jun 22, 2009
South Wales
This sound like a great option to get the snapped blade on my Forester repaired. I'm a bit embarrassed to send the knife though as it's had a very hard life over the past 25+ years.
How do they charge for the repairs? The form I've found suggests they'll send you an invoice after the work is done. I assume they clear the costs with you after assessing the knife though?

gg012

Sep 23, 2022
SE
I just contacted them about a replacement blade, the email I received is copied below:

"Thank you for your email. We are the UK distributors for Victorinox, and we have been forwarded your enquiry.
Victorinox guarantees all knives and tools to be of first-class stainless steel and also gives a lifetime guarantee against any defects in material and workmanship (2 years for electronic components). Damage caused by normal wear and tear, misuse or abuse are not covered by this guarantee. For repairs or services which are not covered by the guarantee a contribution of £9.98 towards expenses will be required, but in the case of a Swiss tool or electronic model it may be more than £9.98.

Please send your knife into us at the below address enclosing your return ADDRESS DETAILS, CONTACT NUMBER and EMAIL ADDRESS - we would recommend sending back on a signed for service.

Burton McCall Returns Department. Conqueror House, Hastings Road, LEICESTER. LE5 0HU
Your knife will be sent to Victorinox Switzerland for repair. If your knife is of sentimental value, please advise this in your covering letter which parts you do not want replacing.

We will contact you after the knife has been inspected at Victorinox in Switzerland to inform you if a charge has been applied and payment can be made by card.
*****If you require spare parts such as toothpicks, tweezers, scissor springs or scales, we can send these parts out to you free of charge*****
Please note lead time on repairs is approximately 10-12 weeks."

Sent from underground

Reactions: Crowe

demented dale

Dec 16, 2021
hell
I just contacted them about a replacement blade, the email I received is copied below:

"Thank you for your email. We are the UK distributors for Victorinox, and we have been forwarded your enquiry.
Victorinox guarantees all knives and tools to be of first-class stainless steel and also gives a lifetime guarantee against any defects in material and workmanship (2 years for electronic components). Damage caused by normal wear and tear, misuse or abuse are not covered by this guarantee. For repairs or services which are not covered by the guarantee a contribution of £9.98 towards expenses will be required, but in the case of a Swiss tool or electronic model it may be more than £9.98.

Please send your knife into us at the below address enclosing your return ADDRESS DETAILS, CONTACT NUMBER and EMAIL ADDRESS - we would recommend sending back on a signed for service.

Burton McCall Returns Department. Conqueror House, Hastings Road, LEICESTER. LE5 0HU
Your knife will be sent to Victorinox Switzerland for repair. If your knife is of sentimental value, please advise this in your covering letter which parts you do not want replacing.

We will contact you after the knife has been inspected at Victorinox in Switzerland to inform you if a charge has been applied and payment can be made by card.
*****If you require spare parts such as toothpicks, tweezers, scissor springs or scales, we can send these parts out to you free of charge*****
Please note lead time on repairs is approximately 10-12 weeks."

Sent from underground

I’ve used them twice and they didn’t repair … just sent a new knife FOC. Around six years ago
I think that might have happened to me as well. it came back unrecognizable. I did consider that they just swapped it and now you have said that .... x

gg012

Sep 23, 2022
SE
I am sending in a GAK so will update once it comes back from Switzerland. It will be interesting to see what 108mm parts they have knocking around still, I asked them to leave the scales on as they have built up a lot of character over the years!

Sent from underground

daveO

Native
Jun 22, 2009
South Wales
This sound like a great option to get the snapped blade on my Forester repaired. I'm a bit embarrassed to send the knife though as it's had a very hard life over the past 25+ years.
How do they charge for the repairs? The form I've found suggests they'll send you an invoice after the work is done. I assume they clear the costs with you after assessing the knife though?
I sent mine off the day after this post (6th Feb) and they just rang to take payment for it to be sent back to me. I've no idea what work has been done to it yet as I just asked for the blade to be replaced. I was trying to remember when I bought the knife and I think it must have been around 1995. I definitely used it during army cadets back in the late 90s and I'd had it for a while before that. My dad bought it for me after he dropped my previous one in the sea while we were fishing. :facepalm:

demented dale

Dec 16, 2021
hell
I sent mine off the day after this post (6th Feb) and they just rang to take payment for it to be sent back to me. I've no idea what work has been done to it yet as I just asked for the blade to be replaced. I was trying to remember when I bought the knife and I think it must have been around 1995. I definitely used it during army cadets back in the late 90s and I'd had it for a while before that. My dad bought it for me after he dropped my previous one in the sea while we were fishing. :facepalm:
they will do what ask and recon everything else. i ended up with new everything. in fact they mite have just replaced the entire thing and sent a new one. i wudnt have known x

gg012

Sep 23, 2022
SE
I just got my GAK back from Burton McCall - very impressed. It looks like they have fitted all new tools but left the scales as requested. I paid 9€ for the service and got essentially a brand new knife, of a discontinued model. Thanks Victorinox!

Sent from underground

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE