Victorinox, which model?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Woody girl

Mar 31, 2018
Exmoor
I bought a Swiss army knife for a few pounds at the wilderness gathering last year, and have finaly got around to fettling it. It was very stiff and unloved, but now is nice and shiny, and oiled , so I can actualy get at the tools.(I am minus a few fingernails tho!)
I'm wondering which one I have, so I'm turning to the hive mind for info.
It has HUNKELLER written on one of the scales, and has the following tools.
Parcel hook
Corkscrew
Reamer/awl
The other side has,
Large blade
Small blade
Philips screwdriver(in line)
Grey magnifying glass
Bottle opener
Can opener
Scissors
Tweezers
Toothpick(missing, to be replaced)
There is no pin hole by the corkscrew.
Intrigued as to which model, and what vintage.
Also, can I replace the hook with a saw?
How? Can I do it myself?
With a saw, this would be my perfect sak
Thanks.

Jared

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 8, 2005
Wales
Sounds like an Explorer

Wouldn't be able to replace the hook with the saw. Atleast not without designing a completely new saw. As wiki page says there was model with same features and a saw, the Woodsman, but has been discontinued.

Last edited:
Reactions: Woody girl

grainweevil

Forager
Feb 18, 2023
Cornwall
Yes, the hook is an inevitable pairing with the scissors by the nature of how they're built. If you wanted a saw as well you'd need a Woodsman, which was sadly discontinued, or a rebuild with an extra layer cannibalised from another SAK with a saw. As regards age, the Explorer has gone through a lot of changes in its 50 years so in theory you could work it out, but it'll be a lot easier for you with it in hand than for us. The grey mount for the magnifying glass makes it pre-2008 though, iirc.

Woody girl

Mar 31, 2018
Exmoor
Thanks guys, looks like I've saved myself £50 with this little beauty. Chuffed!
Sad I can't get a saw put on it without a complete rebuild, but hey, you can't have everything.
It's still a great edc and in fact I used it in the post office the other day to cut parcel tape, as I needed to tape up a parcel, and had to buy a roll and do it there.
Still unsure about the HUNKELLER on the back. Maybe been personalised with someone's name?

Jared

Sep 8, 2005
Wales
Possibly, or a company. Companies have been known to get custom branded SAKs for company swag.

Reactions: Woody girl

Woody girl

Mar 31, 2018
Exmoor
For a saw … get the Alox Farmer ;)
I only paid a fiver for it, can't afford a new one, which was why I snapped this one up.
I'll keep my eye out for a huntsman though.
The explorer seems to fit most of what I want from a edc. Shame the huntsman is no longer made, that would have been perfect.

Jared

Sep 8, 2005
Wales
Woodsman is no longer made.

Huntsman still is made, and I'd guess probably the most popular SAK. Always on the Knives & Tools Amazon bestseller list.

Woody girl

Mar 31, 2018
Exmoor
lol . I forgot about felix immler. he is brilliant when it comes to swiss army knives.
I've learned all sorts of tips from Felix. He's very knowledgeable and has furthered my ideas on what I want from a sak, and ideas on how to modify what I have. I've added the minni screwdriver, as the ones that come with those glasses repair kits are so cheap and nasty. This one seems good quality, and will be a useful addition.
I'm tempted to get a firefly with tinder, but reckon I can make my own tinder screw, and only realy want the mini ferro, but it costs so much more for something easily breakable, than a decent ferro rod that I can add to the keyring anyway.
Does anyone use that flimsy tooth pick? Has it any other uses? Havnt seen any ideas from felix. Maybe I've missed something.

demented dale

Dec 16, 2021
hell
I've learned all sorts of tips from Felix. He's very knowledgeable and has furthered my ideas on what I want from a sak, and ideas on how to modify what I have. I've added the minni screwdriver, as the ones that come with those glasses repair kits are so cheap and nasty. This one seems good quality, and will be a useful addition.
I'm tempted to get a firefly with tinder, but reckon I can make my own tinder screw, and only realy want the mini ferro, but it costs so much more for something easily breakable, than a decent ferro rod that I can add to the keyring anyway.
Does anyone use that flimsy tooth pick? Has it any other uses? Havnt seen any ideas from felix. Maybe I've missed something.
I use the toothpick all the time. It can also be pushed into a cable tie to undo it without cutting so you can re use.

Woody girl

Mar 31, 2018
Exmoor
I use the toothpick all the time. It can also be pushed into a cable tie to undo it without cutting so you can re use.
I don't use cable ties very often, what else do you use the Toothpick for?
It seems a weird thing to have on a tool.
I can see it might be useful for undoing tight knots , but my imagination as to other uses seems to have got stuck!

demented dale

Dec 16, 2021
hell
I don't use cable ties very often, what else do you use the Toothpick for?
It seems a weird thing to have on a tool.
I can see it might be useful for undoing tight knots , but my imagination as to other uses seems to have got stuck!
its the thing I use the most. I use it for picking bits out of my teeth. If someone had perfect teeth with no gaps it might not be useful,

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
its the thing I use the most. I use it for picking bits out of my teeth. If someone had perfect teeth with no gaps it might not be useful,
Me too. And the tweezers get a lot of use, they’re very good tweezers. To be honest, the one tool that I hardly ever use on a SAK or Leatherman etc is the saw. The hook is handy too, I’ve carried shopping bags with it and hung a lantern up in the tent.

Barney Rubble

Settler
Sep 16, 2013
Rochester, Kent
youtube.com
My SAK Hiker is the one tool/camping item that has literally come on every single camping trip/hike/bimble etc. Wouldn't leave home without it. In actual fact, I keep meaning to do a bushcrafty camp with this as my one tool option to prep fire wood and make some camp implements.

I keep eye-ing up the larger SAK Forrester as a potential purchase. One day perhaps!

The toothpick and tweezers are probably the most used tools on my SAK. Handy for splinters and whatnot. I've also found a very modern use for the toothpick...it's great at cleaning out the build up of fluff and crud in mobile phone charging ports. Being plastic, it's much less likely to damage the connectors.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE