Legality and Perception of EDC's

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Pattree

Jul 19, 2023
UK
Lol….really? We one cctv camera per ELEVEN people, so I’m going to throw my hat in the ring and say you are very badly mistaken!
My understanding is that this includes all cctv cameras - dash cams, door cams, private security cameras, traffic monitoring cameras etc.

It’s still a lot.

And don’t forget the camera on your phone that is watching you right now!!!!!! There’s a big black van just down the street too.

Stew

Bushcrafter through and through
Nov 29, 2003
Aylesbury
stewartjlight-knives.com
Lol….really? We one cctv camera per ELEVEN people, so I’m going to throw my hat in the ring and say you are very badly mistaken!
Yeah, I get it. I operate cctv system at work (64 cameras) and home (4 cameras) but like I said after, I just perceive the term surveillance as people actively watching the cameras.

Aristotle

Forager
Jan 13, 2010
NW England
When they say that there going to ban ''Serrated'' knives do you think that means partially serrated knives or just full?.
Cheers
I don't think that they have really thought it through.

It is already illegal to carry a fixed blade knife around with you in the UK without good reason, serrated or not.

It has long been illegal to stab people too.

Reactions: SurgeUK

Paul_B

Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
I ask myself when I last needed something. If it's not recent I'll leave it at home. I think come spring I'll put an opinel in the car as I've had cause to just one in the better weather months. I don't carry a knife as I haven't used them when out and about. On a walk or camping I'll take a knife for food. It's in my sack until needed then back in it.

I dont really carry much. Money, cards, phone, keys. I might have a notebook. Knives are for when I have a planned need for one. I don't see the need for much of an edc personally. I even chose opinel for the car because if it gets confiscated it's cheap to replace.

At my old workplace I carried a Stanley knife as I had a use for it throughout the day. Now I don't and I reckon work might not appreciate me carrying it.

Reactions: Pattree

Paul_B

Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
Nope I plan well enough to only need what I have. I don't carry a load of "just in case" stuff that I never use and when I could do with something I don't have I have always improvised. I n 50 years this approach hasn't let me down.

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
@Paul_B So you don´t believe in the concept of "better to have and not need than need and not have".

An overrated concept in my mind. Carried to extreme it would mean you'd have pull a trolley full of gear everywhere you go. Better to learn the skills of problem solving. OK, on a desert overland trip I carry essential spares, but that's not EDC.

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
Trolley?!? How frightfully common! Don't you know, the well to do, well prepared, gentleman of today has his portmanteau of EDC accoutrements carried by a man-servant while in town, and a Sherpa when in the country!

• Haha
Reactions: Broch

Paul_B

Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
An overrated concept in my mind. Carried to extreme it would mean you'd have pull a trolley full of gear everywhere you go. Better to learn the skills of problem solving. OK, on a desert overland trip I carry essential spares, but that's not EDC.
Well said!

I think there is a quote from a well known bushcrafter that applies. I can't really remember it but it's something about not carrying so much but having the knowledge instead. Knowledge is the lightest thing to have with you and the best too. Problem solving even common sense too I reckon. At the end of the day to have enough to get by is sufficient.

Falstaff

Feb 12, 2023
Berkshire
I've gone down a size on my leatherman, partly due to public perceptions/legality. It's an EDC and a very rare day when I don't use it for something or other. If stopped my defence will be it's part of my work clothes ( ED wear) & tools - and can justfiy it, if who ever can be bothered to listen. It's in a nylon belt pouch on my belt and usually covered by my top.
I wouldn't wear it if I was in "going out" clothes or somewhere a doorcheck or similar was required. It's not suitable as a defence weapon, a pen or biro type would be a better and more defensible carry.

Falstaff

Feb 12, 2023
Berkshire
UK surveillance is very high, and increasing, furthermore, it is quite often active via automated software, not necessarily a person. But still identifes you, your vehicle, address via DVLA, etc etc." for our records just in case". I've seen it in use and was very impressed by it's accuracy, speed, and abilities (e.g. ID by body shape/movement gait). Even id'd & recorded the local fox and cat!
Most towns now have town centre/shopping centre CCTV to combat shoplifting , crime and youth disturbance ( the last a growing problem in many areas).
In the park apple slicing scenario, it is now more than likely than not, at least in the south, that a member of the public will nervously make a call/video and you'll have some form of enforcement arrive before you've finished the apple! I do use mine at lunchtime in public if necessary, but am pretty careful who is around and don't leave it out in plain sight.

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
@Paul_B
"The more you know, the less you carry"
Mors Kochanski

That said, I EDC tweezers, whistle, lighter, and micro LED on my key ring, a SAK in my pocket, often a single 123A torch and if I have a day bag, a FAK.

The interesting thing about EDC tools, if you have them, you often find uses for them. If you don't carry them, you find ways to manage. Those that don't carry a pocket knife, for instance, generally cannot imagine a situation in their lives when they would use one, because they have long engineered their lives around not having one. These same people will wait till they get home to open certain things, break stuff by hand, leaver with their car keys, and tear stuff with their teeth. They do not see any of this as inconvenient, its just the normal way of the world.

Last edited:

GreyCat

Nov 1, 2023
South Wales, UK
I gear my EDC to where I am going and what I am doing.

I would usually have my cards, cash, keys, small torch, SAK (Alox bantam) and phone. Plus car/van keys as relevant. Although I ditch the SAK if going to London on the train. Useful though it can be, it's just too much of a risk to carry it in London.

GC

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
I gear my EDC to where I am going and what I am doing.

I would usually have my cards, cash, keys, small torch, SAK (Alox bantam) and phone. Plus car/van keys as relevant. Although I ditch the SAK if going to London on the train. Useful though it can be, it's just too much of a risk to carry it in London.

GC

Similar, except I use my phone as an emergency torch. I only ever have two keys - the house key and the car key. The only time I don't have my SAK is if I'm going somewhere they are prohibited such as a court of law.

Decacraft

Jul 28, 2021
South Wales
More often than not I carry a slipjoint (lars falt) and a farmer x. The only time I dont is on the school run or while in a supermarket and it's in the car. I don't go clubbing/pubbing but if I did I wouldn't carry them there, and I don't work in a setting where people look at me if I do use one.

At the end of the day it's classed as a tool and allowed to be carried as per the law. A SAK has so many uses with scissors/ screwdrivers/ files they should be treated as part of everyday life and not be deemed as a dangerous weapon with the public calling the police if someone is using one for the right reasons and not in a threatening manner

jeggs

Oct 9, 2023
london/devon
I tend to plan my EDC around what I'm doing...though I do almost always carry my SAK..though for international travel I do of course pack it in the cargo hold..there were two occasions where having the SAK caused consternation...one in South Africa when going to visit Robbin Island, where they had airport style security....when theyvsaw it was a SAK they let me through. The other time was at Windsor castle, they took my SAK and left sent it to the exit for me to pick up on leaving.
I often use my SAK for daily purposes, when surveying jobs, a quick fuse change, so many small things that the SAK comes in helpful for.

Paul_B

Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
At the end of the day if a copper wants to pay you attention and wants to confiscate he/ she will and you'll lose your knife. That's not what the law says but it's possibly what a copper nay choose to do.

However that's all dependent on whether a police officer has a reason to notice you and to think there's cause to pay closer attention to you. Imho if you carry a knife, even a legal carry, not making yourself of interest to a police officer is a good idea. You've just got to know what they're looking for I guess. Knife out of sight, not carrying where there's increased security or security risks, etc.

Reactions: GreyCat
Apr 19, 2024
Kent
I have a little Whitby and a grizzly pocket buddy witch is my favorite but because it's was specifically designed to be a EDC/ Bushcraft folder, people not in the know find it a little intimidating so am no considering, what my friend calls a gentleman's EDC knife lol

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE