Whats the WORST item of clothing you have ever bought & WHY?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

StuMsg

Tenderfoot
Feb 10, 2013
Aberdeen, Scotland
North Face (own brand) waterproof jacket, 2011 version.

waterproof? I'm not convinced

breathable? Nope

Material on the inside of the body caught all the sweat and soaked me every time I used it.

De-rated to rough use ie around the fire.

dwardo

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
I have another one, "outdoor socks" from Marks and spencer. All of my socks were still in the wash so out of desperation I asked my other half to grab some from her place, dont go cheap either i said.

So £15 for two pairs that ended up with no heel cut, polyester of some description and the smell after only two hours walking was shocking.
Merino all the way. Recently picked up two pairs for a tenner at mountain warehouse, never will I buy anything else ever again.

Duggie Bravo

Settler
Jul 27, 2013
Dewsbury
Either of the two reversible fleece/waterproof I have owned, now I think about it why would I put a fabric designed to repel moisture next to my skin?

Christy

Tenderfoot
Apr 28, 2006
Lowlands
A Helly Hansen jacket. Sweat out, no rain in it said on the tin.
Must have been a mondaymorning product. Most their gear is good.
This coat left me drenched just in a drizzle.
Might use it as a waterfilter for muddy pools.

S.C.M.

Nomad
Jul 4, 2012
Algarve, Portugal
I'm reviving this thread to have a good moan about my stuff. I'm a cheapskate(it runs in the family) and will *not* pay more than 20€ (30-40€ if it's excellent) for any kit :eek:
here's a list:
"fur"-lined suede boots: pretty good in dry weather, soaked through when I wore them in the rain, so I waterproofed them with oil and beeswax. Now they leak at the seams only....
almost every waterproof I've ever had here in Portugal: leaky at the seams and not really waterproof, just resistant

I guess it's what you get with cheap kit though, if I paid lots of money I'd probably get good gear :D

woodstock

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 7, 2007
off grid somewhere else
I bought a pair of cheap walking shoes they looked pretty sturdy for the money about £20 fine in the dry but when it rained the soles acted like sponges.

Uilleachan

Aug 14, 2013
Northwest Scotland
Danner boots, they just fell apart.

Once when I was looking for new over trousers I allowed myself to be talked into buying girls over trousers and just wearing them as trousers, dispelling the need to carry, well; over trousers. All the rage apparently, so I thought I'd give them a go.

A good idea and from a very experienced climber who also happened to be the shop owner. Whilst these extra big girls breeks fitted me well, the fly in the ointment was that big girls seldom have size 12 feet therefore I couldn't take them off without first removing my boots and some of the places I get to thats not an acceptable prospect.

So it was that I found myself getting extremely cold up a hill one day, high winds low temperatures and driving snow/spindrift, had I had extra over trousers I'd have been fine, had I been able to remove them without having to take off my boots, I'd have been able to wear my extra emergency long-johns and have been fine. As it was I failed on that hill and had to retreat due to getting too cold, which was quite disappointing given the effort I'd put in to get to within a couple of hundred meters of the top, it was a long disappointing walk back to the car.

In the end I gave them away, to a tall woman with small feet ;)

garethw

Settler
I guess in this day and age of mass produced Chinese made goods, every brand is going to have its fans and detractors depending on the criteria of what you want.
Karrimor is not available to my knowledge in France, but I had some Le Chameau boots that were terrible, fell apart after less than 6 months. I've since got some Lowas, which were only about 50 Euros more and are in a different league.

I see Kiwi's get a lot of stick. But as a cheap and practical trouser,I really like them. They are 'cheap' around £20 if you shop around, they dry fast, I find them comfy.. and if you use a decent belt so they don't slip down and stress the crotch..I've not had the problem since.... I did have this on a couple of pairs as I was using the rubbish belt they are supplied with. The winter lined ones are really nice when its cold. I use them as my daily trousers for much of the year and find them tough enough.

cheers
Gareth

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE