What would you do for food?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Bushwhacker

Banned
Jun 26, 2008
Dorset
personally i would be trapping and hunting in the big cities.
realistically, how many people who live in cities would have the first idea of how to survive? barely any, and those who do (like members on here) would all be down the beach eating 700 limpets a day, while the foxes and pigeons re-claim the cities and arent hunted because barely anyone in a city would know how.

Foxes and pigeons can only sustain themselves due to humans being there. No humans = no waste = no animals.
You'd still have your rivers/water systems though.

Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
So just because the human race has gone loco....all the live stock has too???...NAAAAAHH!,
I'd be down my local farm livin it up on moo steaks and Baaaa legs....YUM YUM YUM....when is the world ending (i'm hungry)

How would British livestock cope without humans? Of course if the livestock survive so will the dogs, how big can a feral dog pack be?

Last edited:

featherstick

Forager
May 21, 2008
South East
Russian provincial towns have huge problems with feral dog packs - very big packs of 20-30 dogs sometimes. They are periodically culled but back up in numbers very soon. All the wildlife parks would be interesting places, there's one close to us with boar, wolves and bison...the return of the native wolf?

Everything Mac

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 30, 2009
Scotland
so where abouts in the country would provide a sufficient amount of food to keep some one going for a reasonable amount of time?

by that I mean an area with many many resources, so meat, fish, shellfish, nuts, fruit?

IMO all of these would be required.

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
so where abouts in the country would provide a sufficient amount of food to keep some one going for a reasonable amount of time?

by that I mean an area with many many resources, so meat, fish, shellfish, nuts, fruit?

IMO all of these would be required.

Problem is so much of the 'wild' food in the UK is seasonal so as a lone hunter gatherer you are up poo stream without a paddle. On your own there are not enough hours in the day to carry out all thats required, hunting, drying, storing, growing, guarding etc, plus having to move often to source your different foods in the first place. Remove motorised transport from the equation and your options for mobility shrink dramatically; how many miles a day can you walk out and back to camp in the hope of catching food, then prep it, preserve it, eat it?

You could 'survive' quite a while but long term your prospects of survival dwindle unless you are part of an organised group. Solo survival means really just getting by until you can join up or form a group IMHO.

Those of us who 'prep' have a head start, I have several months of food, clean water etc but locally apart from sheep and rabbit there is not a lot to munch on as things stand now.

Perhaps a better question would be "Whats the minimum size of group needed to survive an end of the world situation"

locum76

Oct 9, 2005
Kirkliston
I reckon the south of England: Kent, Devon etc.

That's where all the big market gardens are and where the most feral plants will be. It has the biggest population of course so there'd be a lot of competition.

Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
Problem is so much of the 'wild' food in the UK is seasonal so as a lone hunter gatherer you are up poo stream without a paddle.

Indeed. :)

Perhaps a better question would be "Whats the minimum size of group needed to survive an end of the world situation"

If there will be a group of you then you should all probably start thinking about keeping animals and raising crops rather than try to forage or hunt. If much of the population has vanished this will be your best hope, if the UK population is still in the tens of millions then your biggest problem will be in preventing a stronger group turning up to take away the result of your labor.

Last edited:

Everything Mac

Nov 30, 2009
Scotland
Trouble is that IMO a conventional end of the world scenario doesn't work. - even if a good portion of the populous is removed, I believe people would have a tendency to seek what they once had and help each other out. - minus of course the mindless individuals who would try and feed off the weak. - Though I do not believe these groups would last very long.

a family size group - say 4-5 individuals with no small children would do well I reckon. - though I'm happy to be proved wrong.

Andy

_scorpio_

Need to contact Admin...
Dec 22, 2009
east sussex UK
i doubt many people would stay in such a small group. after the initial fighting over food people will likely settle into groups.
basically describing the storyline of this series of books lol:
http://www.the-enemy.co.uk/site/teHome.php5
very well written end of the world zombie book, pretty much everyone on here is doomed though (unless your good at hunting children ;) ).

Paul K

Tenderfoot
Apr 29, 2003
In the woods
Spot on about rabbits. In fact there is a known condition called rabbit starvation.

I read once of American settlers starving to death despite eating numerous rabbits to the exclusion of any plantlife which would have saved them. How true this story was I don't know but it is accepted that you would suffer extreme diahorrea, headache and lethagy within a week. Some theorise that you would die quicker then if you ate nothing but there is a distinct lack of volunteers to substantiate!!;)

The problem with subsisting entirely on lean meat (such as rabbits) is that your are consuming lots of protein, very little fat, and negligible carbohydrate. Your body can turn protein into energy and this process goes on in the liver. It is quite an inefficient source of energy. The amount of protein that can be converted into energy is limited by the blood supply to the liver. This creates a bottle neck which means that only about 400g of protein can be turned usefully into energy in a 24 hour period. The rest is passed as waste products.

1g of protein gives 4 calories (Kcal) so 400g in 24hrs gives you 1,600 calories per day. An average man these days needs 2,000-2,500 calories per day. A trapper working the trap lines in the northwoods would need a lot more to stay warm and active so they would be in massive carlorific deficit. Hence, however much lean meat they would eat, they would eventually starve.

Pretty depressing eh?

Mojoracinguk

Nomad
Apr 14, 2010
Hereford
How would British livestock cope without humans?

as far as i'm aware sheep do alright up on the welsh hills....

I think cows get suppliments....although do they really need them?

Horses....they can survive I'm sure
And if my dog was released...he'd manage just fine....rabbits are easy for him and before now he's had a few pheasants and this is will he's on a lead! (walking past hedge rows where the the animals thinks it's safe. so yes feral packs of dogs:yikes: i had not though of that (they would make tree dwelling an attractive option for sure

Mojo

Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
as far as i'm aware sheep do alright up on the welsh hills....

I think cows get suppliments....although do they really need them?

Horses....they can survive I'm sure

I not sure that sheep will be ok. Having lived in Scottish hill farming areas for ten to fifteen years I have seen just how much work goes in to keeping a decent sized flock going and this in a world with modern treatments and/or inoculations for pests and disease. Not to mention the depredations of feral dog packs and passing survivors taking pot shots at your prize ram. :)

Cows would also suffer badly, I read that some modern breeds can struggle to give birth without human assistance.

Last edited:

Mojoracinguk

Nomad
Apr 14, 2010
Hereford
I'm willing to accept that some have been bred to the point of no return...but survival of the fittest...some domesticated meals on legs will still roam about and i'm only after the odd one...as i'll be the one taking pot shots at the ram, not trying to raise a herd with it...

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE