What would you do for food?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

stu1979uk

Forager
Oct 22, 2006
glasgow

Ok lets have the possible Bear Grylls/ Les Stroud type scenario of being stranded or even just wanting to stay in the outdoors longer than you planned for or what ever the reason (society over run by killer zombies) how would you feed yourself?
The area I would most likely be would be the Trossachs or Loch Lomond area/ Loch Long or possible further north.

My thoughts:
I generally carry a small telescopic fishing rod so that would be one source for catching fish.
Set snares for rabbits etc.
Try and snare or spear a dear?
Forage for limpets at the sea shore.

I'm not sure about foraging for plants etc. I wouldn't be confident of knowing what to look for or finding enough to get by.

Any thoughts welcome

Thanks
Stuart

Andy T

Settler
Sep 8, 2010
Stoke on Trent.
the seashore just has got to be the place to go...........north scotland for me .........ive lived there and knows theres millions of rabbits .....plenty of seafood and fields full of spuds

durulz

Need to contact Admin...
Jun 9, 2008
Elsewhere
the seashore just has got to be the place to go...........north scotland for me .........ive lived there and knows theres millions of rabbits .....plenty of seafood and fields full of spuds

Shore for me as well.
I feel more confident about what I am picking and eating.
Bird traps as well - all birds are edible.

BarryG

Nomad
Oct 30, 2007
NorthWest England
The shore would give the most return, for least amount of energy expended i reckon.
But in an imagined appocolptic senario, .... well there's bound to be a Maccy D's open somewhere

Paul72

Nomad
Jan 29, 2010
Northern Ireland

I'm not sure about foraging for plants etc. I wouldn't be confident of knowing what to look for or finding enough to get by.

You wouldn't need that much tarining to know what you could safely eat and you wouldn't have to eat just plants alone, they would need to be a subsidy to meat.

lannyman8

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 18, 2009
Dark side of the Moon
it would be wales or scotland for me too.......some place close to the shore......lots of sea + shore plants are edible along with the critters and fish that are easy to trap.......

nom nom nom...........

chris..........

gregorach

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 15, 2005
Edinburgh
Spear a deer? If you can get close enough, you won't need to - you'll be able to feed thousands with just a couple of sticklebacks and a crust of stale bread. :D

bert333

Settler
Jan 15, 2008
Earth- for awhile longer...
If it's apocalypse now.... strange that so many overlook one source of plentyful food... PEOPLE! so many Tyrannosaurus Rex's just can't all be wrong!
especially Scottish lasses :eek: yummmeeeee!
ok ok I'll get my coat!!;)

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
Rabbits are poor survival food, no fat to speak of and limpets ? You would need to eat several kilo a day for any real food value. Form a group, forage, loot and start farming. Spear a deer? easy, I trip over the bloody things here in Wales everyday.

Andy BB

Apr 19, 2010
Hampshire
Rabbits are poor survival food, no fat to speak of and limpets ? You would need to eat several kilo a day for any real food value. Form a group, forage, loot and start farming. Spear a deer? easy, I trip over the bloody things here in Wales everyday.

That's interesting rik. I was aware that rabbits lack fat (although good protein if you can get fat from other sources - nuts for example?), but limpets being poor value food? I'll bow to your knowledge (as I have precisely none on this subject!), but for some reason had always assumed that limpets would probably be pretty nourishing - if very chewy! I must do some experiments on putting limpets through a food-blender to make them more palatable - reckon it'd make a great chowder.

And of course lets not forget shrimps from rock-pools or from shrimp-netting - eat raw - hold head and bite off the body. Surprisingly tasty!

Bluefrog

Nomad
Apr 20, 2010
Tywyn North/Mid Wales
It would be the coast for me two but i would try and find some coast that has a river running out into the sea along with some natural woodland nearby, this way you will get a variety of food both freshwater and seawater. some high carb plants would be on my list such as greater reed mace and sea kale. i would make do with what i could get my hands on quickly at the start and go quite hungry as a created some tool such as a net, bow and arrow and at the top of my list a shelter. the shelter at first would only be one to last a few months with limited protection but over time i would try to create a cabin. at the top of my list would be other people to help form a bit of a community.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
From Antiquity, an archaeological journal.
The bold paragraph is my emphasis.

Against the grain? A response to Milner et al. (2004)
Introduction
A recent publication in this journal (Milner et al. 2004) called into question the increasing body of human stable isotopic data showing a rapid diet shift away from marine resources associated with the beginning of the Neolithic in parts of north-western Europe, particularly in Britain and Denmark. While we very much welcome informed and positive debate on this issue, we feel we must respond to this specific paper as it is problematic at a number of levels.
Stable carbon and nitrogen isotope analysis of human bone is beginning to challenge what we would argue is the current orthodoxy of a gradual dietary transition between the Mesolithic and Neolithic. Indeed, the stable isotope data support some elements of a previous orthodoxy, which saw the advent of the Neolithic as a 'revolution'. This is not to say that all elements are supported by the isotopic data; the question of the interactions between any incomers and indigenous people, for example, is still very much a live issue. And it is still far from clear exactly how the shift occurred, how rapid it was in human terms (in generations rather than radiocarbon years), and why it occurred. And there is still the possibility of regional and supra-regional variation to be addressed fully. But the implications of the stable isotope data are beginning to be acknowledged and addressed (e.g. Thomas 2003). This is an important independent line of evidence, and has been available since the early 1980s (Tauber 1981a), yet until recently little consideration has been given to the picture of a very rapid and significant shift in diet across the Mesolithic-Neolithic transition. Instead, it is during this very period that the view of the transition as a long, drawn-out process began to emerge and dominate discussion (Thomas 1991).
It is in this context that criticisms made of the isotopic data, particularly by Milner et al. (2004) need to be addressed. Their dismissal of the isotopic evidence for a rapid and significant transition, while to some extent encouraging debate, also prematurely attempts to close it. Milner et al. (2004) present their critique along three main fronts (see also Bailey & Milner 2002). Firstly, they contend that the zooarchaeological and archaeological evidence for diet is at odds with the stable isotope data; secondly, they point to problems of sample size and bias in the human skeletons used for analysis; and thirdly, they argue that there are problems with the interpretation of stable isotope data. We address each of these concerns in turn.
The (zoo)archaeological data
Milner et al. (2004) make much of the zooarchaeological evidence for the continued use of marine resources in the Neolithic, taking examples mainly from Denmark but also from Britain and Ireland. They argue that the presence of the remains of marine foods (especially shellfish) in Neolithic contexts, and the occurrence of apparent seal-hunting stations and of fish traps, somehow counters any argument of a large-scale dietary shift at the start of the Neolithic. Despite the numerous problems and biases with the use of zooarchaeological data, they present this evidence as if it were some sort of 'spoiler'; that finding any evidence, however slight, of any Neolithic person consuming marine foods undermines the isotopic data of a large scale shift. Simply put, the continued occasional use of marine resources in the Neolithic is not at all incompatible with the isotope data, but is largely irrelevant in the overall question of large-scale dietary shifts. The isotopic evidence presents a long-term measure of lifetime diets, and clearly shows a significant change in human diet between the Mesolithic and the Neolithic. Remains of fish and shellfish recovered from archaeological sites are the remains of individual meals, but are not indicative of the overall diet of a human population. As Geoff Bailey himself has elegantly argued (Bailey 1975, 1978), shells are highly visible archaeologically due to their preservational properties, but misleading in terms of determining diet composition, as they are nutritionally poor. Bailey (1978) writes that:
'The ease with which molluscs can be over-rated as a source of food will be swiftly appreciated from the fact that approximately 700 oysters would be needed to supply enough kilocalories for one person for one day, if no other food were eaten, or 1400 cockles, or 400 limpets, to name the species most often found in European middens. I have estimated that approximately 52,267 oysters would be required to supply the calorific equivalent of a single red deer carcase, 156,800 cockles, or 31,360 limpets, figures which may help to place in proper nutritional perspective the vast numbers of shells recorded archaeologically.' (Bailey 1978: 39, emphasis ours) Therefore, the occasional Neolithic shell midden is in itself hardly indicative of a continued marine-based economy in this period. The nature of the exploitation may have been very different, for example, from a central aspect of subsistence in the Mesolithic to one more peripheral in the Neolithic.
In addition, it should be emphasised that, aside from these shell middens and special purpose sites, there are actually very few Neolithic faunal assemblages known from Denmark. Bone survival is poor away from the shell middens, but where mammalian fauna is preserved from the Early Neolithic, it is dominated by domestic fauna (see Fischer 2002 for a recent review). Thus Milner et al.'s (2004) discussion touches upon only one aspect of the Neolithic economy, and likely a very limited one.
In the context of Britain, where much of our own research on this issue has been focused (i.e. Richards & Hedges 1999; Richards et al. 2003a; Schulting & Richards 2002a, b), Milner et al. (2004) do agree that there is substantially less evidence for marine exploitation in the Neolithic. They suggest that this is partly because of inundation of coastal sites by rising sea levels. However, sea levels were quite close to their present position by 4000 cal BC (the generally accepted data for the appearance of Neolithic material culture in the UK), so that this argument holds far less relevance than it does for the Mesolithic period, when it is very much a factor (Schulting & Richards 2002a, b). Milner et al. point to shell middens of Neolithic date along the Firth of Forth in south-east Scotland and along the coast of Co. Sligo, western Ireland, and to evidence for fishing from Neolithic Orkney. The shell middens are subject to the same issues already raised above--their simple presence, while certainly interesting and worthy of further investigation--says little about their quantitative importance in long-term diet. The Forth and Sligo middens are notable for the absence of much in the way of cultural material, or indeed …

Last edited:
Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
"...Any thoughts welcome..."

You should try it.

If you can get a couple of weeks away from school/work, get on a bus, head to the trossachs and see how you get on. Perhaps someone on the forum can both suggest a location and someone who will provide you with a few rabbits for the pot.

This is the only way you can appreciate how hard this kind of living can be. Without a ready source of fat and all the other foodstuffs we take for granted your physical and mental state will take a turn for the worse.

I'm not suggesting that you should attempt to spear a deer though, maybe just try to get close enough to one.

:)

Edited to add:

Start with a trip in September or maybe late May, trying this in January wouldn't be as much fun.

Last edited:

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
The appprentices in London went on strike and one of their demands was that they must not be fed salmon or oysters more than twice a week :rolleyes:

I do think though that our ancestors ate shellfish the way we eat peanuts or brambles. munch, munch, munch.
It honestly looks as though they were in every stew pot in the land; but then, even toddlers can gather whelks and winkles and little children quickly master howking limpets off the rocks.

cheers,
M

Mojoracinguk

Nomad
Apr 14, 2010
Hereford
Food!....I'd be needing medication long before food became an issue....bloody non working pancreas.... :(

Still when i read the question it was totally diffenrent in my head, I had thoughts of folk donning short skirts and tight tops...:yikes:

Think i should read questions two or three times before passing judgement

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE