What would the Police make of my/your house? (Philosphical)

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
I think they'd be more worried about the fact that I make the missus sleep in the dogs bed.

DSCF0036.jpg

Bigfoot

Settler
Jul 10, 2010
Scotland
If they ventured into the basement, off the top of my head they'd find:

3 x Samurai swords (nice forged items - not s/s wall hangers)
An old 3' Wilkinson Sword blade
Roman Gladius
5 x 1095 Katana blades
approx. 300 various lock knives
approx. 30 fixed blades (from 2" blades to 14")
Few axes
couple of CO2 pistols
Various cattys & steel shot
Crossbow
Box of Kubotans
Collection of WWII clasp knives
WWI Bayonet
5' Claymore

Probably got some more toys kicking about that I've forgotten about. All legal by the way.

That all sounds spookily familiar, bar the CO2 pistols :)

Oh, and a Lochaber Axe just in case :)

lannyman8

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 18, 2009
Dark side of the Moon
last time i moved the fire arms people didnt even come round, i must say though i am in the army and that does carry a bit of weight in saying im not a total numpty when it comes to weapons / shotguns.

as for my other kit i have all sorts, which also has chemicals in it, i use it for model rocket fuel.........he he he he...........woooooooooosh...............i must say though it is locked up in a safe with my large shotgun shells.........

jackcbr

Native
Sep 25, 2008
Gatwick, UK
www.pickleimages.co.uk
I'd dread to think. If they could wade pass all the detritus we usually keep around the place they would find a couple of knives on the dining table and a wet stone. A laplander on the stairs and a bag in the shed with an axe, machete, hand chainsaw (they won't let me play with a petrol one) and a variety of other woodsman/bushcraft stuff. A variety of shrooms drying in the sun room (not quite big enough to call a conservatory). Still, I think it is not a problem, I don't give the police any reason to come round and they have no reason to think I intend using them for wrong doing. I have a friend who is ex police and he says any copper with some common sense and the ability to do their job would see that I'm not a threat. Lot to be said for the old breed of bobby.

gregorach

Sep 15, 2005
Edinburgh
Well, the sharps are one thing, but as a craft brewer, I've got a freezer full of "dried plant material" in plastic bags that will test positively as marijuana on any test short of mass spectrometry (hops), several containers of white powders (water treatment salts) and a set of scales that are accurate to 0.1g... Oh, and then there's all the lab glassware... And the electronics kit... Yup, if they ever come round my house in a suspicious frame of mind, I'm stuffed.

timf2009

Tenderfoot
Nov 16, 2009
Hamburg Germany
I was unlucky enough to get burgled shortly before leaving Hungary. The local police officer did enquire about the selection of knives (fortunately not taken) but when he spotted the firesteel on the sheath of my bushie clone he changed his attitude completely. "Ah for camping yes" big smile and relaxed.

Funniest thing was he went into my son's room and commiserated with us about the mess the thieves had left it in. I didn't like to say I didn't think they'd even gone in there.

T

EdS

when I've been visited following 2 break ins the police most stopped in the car until I got a decent torch for them to see where they where going. One went on how "what you need is some pigs in that field, they'd never find the bodies then if you catch the scrots."

The problem is that there is no consistency of policy. I was once on my way abroad, through work, via a civilian carrier - in my hold baggage (and I stress "hold") I had two flying suits, one of which contained my aircrew survival knife. This knife is designed for one thing only - cutting seat harnesses - it has a curved edge and a blunt tip, although it looks pretty wicked. I got called through to security and endured a half hour grilling by some idiot who was clearly given far too much authority and not enough responsibility. Despite my production of the necessary I.D. and my reasoned explanation that this was government issue and was required as part of my job - he kept me there, and eventually let me go with a "be careful next time".

I frequently take the cross channel ferry and I'm randomly stopped by customs who ask "Have you got any knives?" (amongst other things). I have often thought - what if I'm a chef taking up a new job in France and have my full selection of sharps in the boot? (knives being as personal to chefs as they are to us). I have never been stopped when I have taken my pack containing a GB SFA, a large chopper blade and two knives - one a Nessmuk and the other a Woodlore clone - to explore the forests around my new home. What do I say if I am stopped?

tomongoose

Nomad
Oct 11, 2010
Plymouth
Its all a matter of context, I was chatting to a police dog handler out in the woods and I had my knife and axe on my belt and he was fine, he might not of been so friendly if we had meet in town and I was still carrying them

ganstey

Settler
Well, the sharps are one thing, but as a craft brewer, I've got a freezer full of "dried plant material" in plastic bags that will test positively as marijuana on any test short of mass spectrometry (hops), several containers of white powders (water treatment salts) and a set of scales that are accurate to 0.1g... Oh, and then there's all the lab glassware... And the electronics kit... Yup, if they ever come round my house in a suspicious frame of mind, I'm stuffed.

LOL! Do they use your pad for training exercises :D

I can just imagine what a burglar would think if they broke into some of your places... "Oh ***k, they're more of a nutter than I am :yikes: I'm outta here!"

Some interesting posts, cheers guys.

_mark_

Settler
May 3, 2010
Google Earth
They'd love it, I'd turn on the glitter ball and the strobe light and we'd have a party! All the dangerous stuff is under the floorboards with the stash so I'm safe!

Wayland

Hárbarðr
Well I expect im not the only one on here but I have a 6' saxon spear in the corner of my bedroom by the laundry basketl

Mine is currently resting above the curtain rail.

The real problem is my van.

Snip> I frequently take the cross channel ferry and I'm randomly stopped by customs who ask "Have you got any knives?" (amongst other things). I have often thought - what if I'm a chef taking up a new job in France and have my full selection of sharps in the boot? (knives being as personal to chefs as they are to us). I have never been stopped when I have taken my pack containing a GB SFA, a large chopper blade and two knives - one a Nessmuk and the other a Woodlore clone - to explore the forests around my new home. What do I say if I am stopped?

You wouldn't believe what happened to me boarding the ferry to Norway a while back.
17433.gif

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
At a previous house the police rep came around to check my firearms cabinet that was bolted to the wall of my study. In the same room was hanging a bow, on the desk were a couple of knives, on the shelves were skulls of a badger a fox and a curlew, flight feathers from a buzzard, various large fossils etc. - you get the picture. He never even looked at the guns just picked up a few things and said "I'd love a den like this".

The local guy now is fantastic. We check the numbers, have a cup of coffee, and chat about rifles and shotguns. He clearly has a personal interest. He's never even questioned if the gun on the wall is deactivated!! (it is)

Cheers,
Broch

Leezo

On a new journey
May 5, 2008
GeordieLand
Among the various knives, axes and stuff I have paintball guns that I use in various competitions displayed on the wall.
I once had a chat with a copper early one morning cos someone tried to break in to my car and I say tried cos he would have got in if about 20 paintballs heading his way didnt intervene his actions. The copper didnt take them off me but he did say if the would be thief complained about me shooting at him I would have to be arrested which I agreed with but funnily enough the guy never did go to the police to complain about getting shot at whilst trying to steal someones car.

True story that

sargey

Mod
Mod
Member of Bushcraft UK Academy
Sep 11, 2003
cheltenham, glos
cool thread!

most of my stuff is in crates under the bed, apart from stuff left lying around the house due to the aforementioned absentmindedness!

but yeah, i was watching, well, the mrs was watching police interceptors the other night, and i was thinking something very similar about how it was hammed up. they arrested a van load of "builders" because they had tools in their van! :yikes:

alright, the "builders" were driving round a housing estate at three in the morning. :nono: no charges were brought. :borgsmile

i think 3/4 of the problem is that the police see so much of the negative side and so little of the positive.

cheers, and.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE