What would the Police make of my/your house? (Philosphical)

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

ganstey

Settler
I was sat in front of the idiot's lantern the other night and there was one of the many police fly-on-the-wall programmes on. They did a drugs raid on a house and were showing the camera the various 'nasty' things they'd found.

Amongst these were a selection of sticks and knives, and the policeman saying something along the lines of "There's no reason why anyone would have a need for these".

This got me thinking about what they'd find if they raided my house - A 5' walking staff by the front door, three bushcraft knives in various places in the lounge/diner. Two GB SFAs under the dining table, and a sizeable collection of self-seal bags in various sizes. The only thing that's missing is the drugs and the vast quantities of cash.

I'm sure the policeman was playing up to the camera somewhat, but it did make me think about how society now views what not so many years ago were workaday tools.

How do you think your house would be interpreted if it was raided?

PS: PLEASE don't let this descend in to a political debate about the police :nono: - as in any profession there are good and bad ones, so let's just leave that thread there.

resnikov

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
While nothing to do with bush craft, my dad is a WWII reenactor and his house may raise the eyebrows of the police a little.
1 Bren gun, 2 Lee Enfields .303, 1 K98 Mauser, 1 Sten Gun, 1 Thompson Sub Machine Gun, 1 M1 Carbine, 1 Webbly Pistol plus bayonets for all that could take them.
Walking in to the room where he stores it all is like something from a James Bond film!

Should note he has deact certificates for all of them, so he is legal.

shaggystu

Nov 10, 2003
Derbyshire
SWMBO had cause for a visit by the police last week, lovely bloke, PC Parkin. he came in, sat down, refused a cup of tea, got his paperwork out and then just came to a sudden stop as he noticed the row of axes leaning against the (blocked up)fireplace by his side. it was great sitting and watching the thought proccess flicker across his face! once he'd got over the shock of the line of axes he started to look around a little more carefully and would've been able to see a variety of objects, both blunt and very sharp, that could be used as weapons (some of which could only be classed as weapons TBH, it's hard to convince anyone that your hand carved 28inch oak club has any kind of peaceful application). to be fair to the bloke he never said a word until he was leaving, when he walked past me, looked at the monitor and saw a photo of a nice scandinavian style knife and sheath, looked at the book laying open on the desk and spotted another very similar photo of a scandi knife and sheath, then looked at what i was doing and realised that i was making a scandi style sheath. he looked at me with a massive grin and said "you're a knifemaker, thank christ for that, i thought you were just some kind of nutter!"

bless 'em.

stuart

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
I dread to think of the caniptions that would assail any police visitting my house - knives, axes, fake guns (theatrical props of wood and paint) antique guns, replicas all over the place, bushcraft/survival books/mags all over as well.
Mind you everyone knows I am a HARMLESS nutter.....:)
I can always point them at my magazine clippings to show that it is all work related anyway...

ex-member Raikey

Sep 4, 2010
they used to visit every 3-5 years to do my Shotgun Cert renewal,...until it went civvy

i got quizzed about a fist sized hole in a door,..and my knife cab,...

felt a bit rubbish really,...

if they turned up today, they'd see my Knife cab,..and an axe halfway sharpened on the breakfast bar,..

but they'd also see two happy, normal (ish) kids romping about in a tidy, clean and well organised home.

so ,.......

DFCA

Nomad
Aug 11, 2009
Monmouthshire
The attitude of the policeman stems from a similar attitude to that of the likes of DHL who (as I mentioned in a post some months ago) refused to carry my "weapon". The weapon was a felling axe used to fell trees. I cant think of any reason why anyone would want such a thing can you? Oh, unless they were going to fell trees of course. That'll be what all those things are in the woods next to my house are then :)

sometimes people should stop liimiting their outlook on life to that which they can see through the eye of THEIR needle alone.

ATB
Dave

Off home to hide the "weaponry"

neoaliphant

Settler
Aug 24, 2009
Somerset
Well I expect im not the only one on here but I have a 6' saxon spear in the corner of my bedroom by the laundry basket

theres a large baggy of catnip in teh hallway and a small baggy of bicarb on my bedside table eaiting to be packed in to me first aid kit

Al

Matt.S

Native
Mar 26, 2008
Exeter, Devon
Let's just say many objects, held for benign purposes, can be spun/interpreted as criminal intent. Heaven help you if you have bombmaking materials (instant cold-pack for RICE, sugar for tea, matches for fire).

shaggystu

Nov 10, 2003
Derbyshire
Well I expect im not the only one on here but I have a 6' saxon spear in the corner of my bedroom by the laundry basket.....

the funny thing is that you're probably right, i'd bet there's a good few folk on here who've got a saxon spear in the bedroom, i'm tempted to go and make one so that i can join in!

cheers

stuart

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
I have three spears in the living room and three fully functional firearms on the wall plus a couple of swords and a 12" bladed knife. The police firearms team were here last Thursday for a cuppa and didn't bat an eyelid. They aren't all numpties!

Sabot

Tenderfoot
With almost two dozen replicas from my airsofting days and more than a few blades from penknives to swords in various locations around the house, I suspect any police officer may have an instant nervous break down if I haven't been able to warn them first. I've found that most people just blink a couple of times and then ask for a go. :)

drewdunnrespect

On a new journey
Aug 29, 2007
teesside
www.drewdunnrespect.com
welll the house would be fine except till we got to the garage cos then we have three axes of mine (i exclude dads diy tools) a staff a collection on knifes and a replica 1800 wild west style ie exact replica of sean conarys gun in extrodernery (SP) league of gentlemen and if they looked carefully an air rife so yer not as bad as some of you but nearly drew

Last edited:

R.Lewis

Aug 23, 2009
Cambs
Mine raises a few eyebrows too. A five foot broadsword on wall above fire in dinning room next a Gransfors LFA plus SWMBO's throwing axe and two six foot staffs. Oh and an Indian cavalry sword and a b*stard sword, oh and a Lord of rings replica. Plus Katana lives upstairs now in our bedroom, too dangerous, see....

Bushie knives are in a lockable cabinet! I know, go figure.

Last edited:

vizsla

Native
Jun 6, 2010
Derbyshire
you could garantee you would ring the police because some ****** has nicked your car and they would come round and arrest you for having a pen knife thats 3.1 inch long, but youd never seen your car again nor the person that nicked it.

If they ventured into the basement, off the top of my head they'd find:

3 x Samurai swords (nice forged items - not s/s wall hangers)
An old 3' Wilkinson Sword blade
Roman Gladius
5 x 1095 Katana blades
approx. 300 various lock knives
approx. 30 fixed blades (from 2" blades to 14")
Few axes
couple of CO2 pistols
Various cattys & steel shot
Crossbow
Box of Kubotans
Collection of WWII clasp knives
WWI Bayonet
5' Claymore

Probably got some more toys kicking about that I've forgotten about. All legal by the way.

Mojoracinguk

Nomad
Apr 14, 2010
Hereford
Fire arms officer came round 6 months ago and i'm sorry to inform you I put away most of my kit.

Funny thing was (at the time) he was reluctant to venture into my darkened room where the cabinet is....just poked his head round the corner and muttered 'I take it it's secure' so a swift boot to the cabinet was assurance enough and his head dissapeared.

Reading the lists of 'tools' some of you have put up make me see peerhaps why he was so reluctant to venture in!

To be honest he (on the two times i've delt with him) seemed a really nice but extremely proffesional bloke....to some it may come across a bit 'cold' but it's not a proffesion to be taken lightly.

So back to the thread.....if they came around today they'd see lots of 'kit' but they'd also see i'm making it as a hobby...plus i have a lenghty account on this website where they have proof that i'm practising a skill/lifestyle and mean no harm.

Also there are no drugs or piles of cash about....and i don't run a dog fighting ring...or protection agency...or loan money... ring cars....and and and ....so in context i'm a preety safe bet:lmao:
Mojo

demographic

Apr 15, 2005
-------------
The fact of the matter is that the police would make what they want of the house, if they are not showing the world how bad a person you are they would show the normal items and if you were the accused they would pull out all the stops to show the items with a possible dodgy use in order to gain a prosecution.

Everyone has some items in the house that could be used as a weapon, some more than others.

All of my sharps are stored in discrete places to stop curious young hands getting hold of them. Add the fact that we only have a one bed room flat and i've not got the space to have them all on display.
Back when i lived at my folks they would of had a bit of a turn when entering my room what with axes, machetes, assorted knives and army surplus kit all over the place.
not counting the knives left invarious other rooms due to absentmindedness(if thats a word?)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE