what kit do you NOT need?

Landy_Dom

Nomad
Jan 11, 2006
Mold, North Wales
There have been many discussions on this forum about what kit you need for this and that, and which is the best... I'd be very interested to see posts either explaining kit that was bought and never used, OR kit that you could do without by improvising - back to the nature of bushcaft, essentially... (I was very inspired by Stuart F's post in "Out and About")

Who'll start the ball rolling?

SimonM

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 7, 2007
East Lancashire
www.wood-sage.co.uk
I'm not falling for this one guys.

What if SWMBO reads it and realises that I may (this is in no way an admission of guilt) have kit that I don't need. The consequences could be huge...

• No more spending money on kit "If you have too much kit already, why do you need to buy more?"
  • Actually being made to get rid of gear, that I admitted I do not need anymore! Life as we know it would end guys!

For the good of your gear collection boycott this thread! :lmao:

Simon

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
The gear I do not need today will be vital tomorrow!
I have been known to sell/bin gear before now then find it was just what I needed for a different trip.
Example: instead of repairing a damaged jungle sleeping bag (battery acid burns from a local drivers sloppy maintainance of his truck) I binned it thinking it was of no furthur use to me.
The next trip I got booked was to Thailand when the bag was going to be ideal! Had to get a new one...
I always need MORE kit - but I try to carry only what is needed for the current trip.
:rolleyes:

firebreather

Settler
Jan 26, 2007
Manchester
Im with Simon on this one as it is a well known fact that all of my kit is essential and in no way shape or form surplus to requirement. :D
Some kit that "might" be surplus would be my gas canister stoves as I tend to use petrol or open fires these days. In reality I dont need most of the stuff I carry but they do make life easier.

Greg

Chopper

Native
Sep 24, 2003
Kent.
I'm not falling for this one guys.

What if SWMBO reads it and realises that I may (this is in no way an admission of guilt) have kit that I don't need. The consequences could be huge...

• No more spending money on kit "If you have too much kit already, why do you need to buy more?"
  • Actually being made to get rid of gear, that I admitted I do not need anymore! Life as we know it would end guys!

For the good of your gear collection boycott this thread! :lmao:

Simon

Are we married to the same woman...:confused: :confused: :confused:

Landy_Dom

Nomad
Jan 11, 2006
Mold, North Wales
mmmm - should have seen this coming :rolleyes:

alright - assuming your kit stash is safe, which pieces of kit do you often leave behind for MOST trips (but obviously NEED to keep for SOME trips) ;)

bikething

May 31, 2005
West Devon, Edge of Dartymoor!
kit I don't need (yet...)

my spare hammock...
my spare tarp(s)
my spare sleeping bags(s)
my spare rucksack(s)
etc.etc.

...you getting the picture yet? :eek:

Steve
(who's still single for some strange reason :rolleyes: )

:p

andy_e

Native
Aug 22, 2007
Scotland
Hahaha! I see a concensus forming here ;) My kit is all bought to fill a need, and my needs change from trip to trip ;)

andy_e

Native
Aug 22, 2007
Scotland
Assuming you married her first, that makes my marriage null and void ..

... so I'm single again - free to buy as much kit as I like (need?)

Simon

And she'd be a bigamist and be headed for jail, so Chopper will be free to buy as much gear as he likes too, until she gets out and sees the house full of bushie gear :D

big_swede

Native
Sep 22, 2006
W Yorkshire
This is a hard question to ask, because generally different environments require different gear. For most hikes, I don't need a stove, tent or heavy cutting tools. But during winter, or up in the mountains, some of that stuff is necessary.

Stuff I really never need, hmm, I bought a sh1tty ceramic sharpener at a low-price store, that I don't need, it was totally worthless. Come to think of it, I have a lot of fleece jackets and sweaters I rarely use, prefer wool or fibre pile. Everything else gets used at least on a yearly basis.

mariobab

Tenderfoot
Oct 30, 2006
croatia
Things just pile up over the years.I don't use 14 machetes,and say 30 knives,some backpacks,tent half,3 medical kits,2 wool blankets,tarps,about half of dozen stainless pots,2 compasses and many other things,but I can`t say that I don't need them.I do.Very much,and plan to get some more.

Landy_Dom

Nomad
Jan 11, 2006
Mold, North Wales
Things just pile up over the years.I don't use 14 machetes,and say 30 knives,some backpacks,tent half,3 medical kits,2 wool blankets,tarps,about half of dozen stainless pots,2 compasses and many other things,but I can`t say that I don't need them.I do.Very much,and plan to get some more.

ha ha ha ha ha..... I like it!

Chopper

Native
Sep 24, 2003
Kent.
Assuming you married her first, that makes my marriage null and void ..

... so I'm single again - free to buy as much kit as I like (need?)

Simon

And she'd be a bigamist and be headed for jail, so Chopper will be free to buy as much gear as he likes too, until she gets out and sees the house full of bushie gear :D

FREE!!! at last..SimonM you coming shopping ??????????? :D :D

maddave

Jan 2, 2004
Manchester UK
One bit of kit NOBODY needs EVER is those damn "survival credit card" thingies.... About as much use as a chocolate billy can !!

31sV834LSvL._AA280_.jpg

Orrible little things they are....:yuck:

andy_e

Native
Aug 22, 2007
Scotland
One bit of kit NOBODY needs EVER is those damn "survival credit card" thingies.... About as much use as a chocolate billy can !!

31sV834LSvL._AA280_.jpg

Orrible little things they are....:yuck:

I had one as a kid - similar the that one,.You can open bottles with them, and tins, and you can clean under your fingernails, so Mum doesn't find out you've been playing in the muck again :D

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE