what kit do you NOT need?

Peter_t

Native
Oct 13, 2007
East Sussex
the worst one being a night vision scope, a very cool bit of kit but if you let your eyes adjust to the darkness it hardly helps at all. also i think it makes you paranoid... you look through it then put it doun then sware you see something where you were just looking then check through it again to find theres nothing there at all! :theyareon

i have one of those cooking units that fits below a crusader mug that burns hexi blocks and jell but tbh its useless because you still need to carry the fuel which fits inside the normal hexi burner anyway so you dont save any space.

also i am gilty of have lots of pairs of boots i never use lol :rolleyes:

Bogman10

Nomad
Dec 28, 2006
Edmonton,ab,Can
I'm not falling for this one guys.

What if SWMBO reads it and realises that I may (this is in no way an admission of guilt) have kit that I don't need. The consequences could be huge...

• No more spending money on kit "If you have too much kit already, why do you need to buy more?"
  • Actually being made to get rid of gear, that I admitted I do not need anymore! Life as we know it would end guys!

For the good of your gear collection boycott this thread! :lmao:

Simon

I think we should make a Pact, We must a promise to hide this thread from our Wives, for the very reasons stated by Simon!!
:eek:

May 14, 2006
Consett County Durham
Well for me the one thing i bought that I've never used (would ever use) has to be the old style mess tin set . . .they're too big, too heavy and are a sod to clean (the corners aren't rounded like the newer ones are).
Much better off with the crusader type mug or even cook in a trangia and eat from a plastic bowl.

Kev

P.S I NEVER let the wife see what I'm upto. . .It just gives them nagging rites :D

Bogman10

Nomad
Dec 28, 2006
Edmonton,ab,Can
I've come to think that I might not need my naptha gas lantern - that a head LED lantern and flash light - and even a candle lantern might be sufficient. Except when I'm camping with company - and then it is nice to have gas lantern...

I Feel the same way, I have a Coleman Gas Lantern that has left my garage once in ten years. ( Fishing trip with 3 tents to set up in the dark after a long drive after work ) Otherwise, I take an oil lamp camping and a Candle Lantern/ flashlight/ head lamp on solo trips to the wilds. I find the Camp firelight pretty much all you need here in spring/summer as it doesn't get too dark till late, and being a fisherman I am a early to bed early to rise kinda guy.
However, since it doesn't really go bad, it's nice to have for those rare times of need!

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Well for me the one thing i bought that I've never used (would ever use) has to be the old style mess tin set . . .they're too big, too heavy and are a sod to clean (the corners aren't rounded like the newer ones are).
Much better off with the crusader type mug or even cook in a trangia and eat from a plastic bowl.

Kev

P.S I NEVER let the wife see what I'm upto. . .It just gives them nagging rites :D

Please try a wooden bowl rather than plastic:D much nicer and more bushy:D

The newer hexi burners have a fitting shaped to take the Crusader cup safely so the gell clip on thing is redundant now anyway:approve:

Hide every thing from Wives - not just to avoid nagging but just for the fun of it;)

Big Bad Stu

Nomad
Jul 18, 2006
Shropshire
I don't really need four Gransfors axes, but the look good on the office wall. :approve:

Stewey. :D
(desparately trying to hide the new bergan from The War Office (Mrs. Big Bad Stu)) ;)

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Oh Kev!
You are much better off with a beechwood Sigg bottle!:D
Actually - come to think of it......why not a wooden bottle?
It could be turned from the base with a plug bottom fitted....or cask built like a British Napoleonic military one.....blast! More things to try now!
I already have a leather bottle (leaks a bit) and a coconut bottle (makes things taste wierd!)
Now I have to learn how to turn wood or become a cooper!
I expect to see your wooden bottle too Kev!

andy_e

Native
Aug 22, 2007
Scotland
I was thinking that myself John, though I think a wooden nalgene shaped bottle wouldn't be too hard to lathe out for those with that skill, esp if you could do the threading and have a wooden screw top perhaps with a leather ring for a seal :D

big_swede

Native
Sep 22, 2006
W Yorkshire
I was thinking that myself John, though I think a wooden nalgene shaped bottle wouldn't be too hard to lathe out for those with that skill, esp if you could do the threading and have a wooden screw top perhaps with a leather ring for a seal :D

Why not a seal skin ring for a seal? Seal skin is really water repellent! :D

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
And risk getting in the way of a Selkies monopoly of the product? Not a good idea.

cow hide is thicker.

(what do you mean? some guy in a sealskin pinched the cow?)

big_swede

Native
Sep 22, 2006
W Yorkshire
And risk getting in the way of a Selkies monopoly of the product? Not a good idea.

cow hide is thicker.

(what do you mean? some guy in a sealskin pinched the cow?)

Hmm, I just mean the a ring made of the hide of a seal
sealers.jpg

May 14, 2006
Consett County Durham
Oh Kev!
You are much better off with a beechwood Sigg bottle!:D
Actually - come to think of it......why not a wooden bottle?
It could be turned from the base with a plug bottom fitted....or cask built like a British Napoleonic military one.....blast! More things to try now!
I already have a leather bottle (leaks a bit) and a coconut bottle (makes things taste wierd!)
Now I have to learn how to turn wood or become a cooper!
I expect to see your wooden bottle too Kev!

Hmmn, Now you mention it it isn't such a mad idea lol. I like the plug bottom (ooh err missus) but if we want to be reheheally bushy then instead of turning the inside out maybe wetting the outside of the bottle and burning away the innerds with hot coals?!? I'm sure I've seen canoe's built that way. also like the wooden screw top but i just don't think I could drink thru a seal ring :D :yuck: :D

I may go for a walk in the wind n rain and wait till some beech falls on me:)

Kev

fishy1

Banned
Nov 29, 2007
sneck
Maddave, got it today, thanks. Was just playing with it before I cut it up and have to agree it's useless in it's original form.

dp0001

Forager
Apr 27, 2007
London
Got a bit carried away and now have 5 of them Swedish SVEA Trangias and two Swiss volcanos and I don't know how many hexi stoves and fuel. Quite a lot of coke can stoves which I find relaxing to make.

Missus now has a duosal trangia 27 which she loves and which we used for all our cooking while fitting a new kitchen.

But the reasoning with the Swedish army Trangias is that at £4.50 they will be presents (Xmas or otherwise) to people who will find inspiration from them...

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE