What do you not eat that therefore makes you "weird"?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
Another observation of this thread, do people still dislike stuff that they grow or cook themselves? With brussels for example, I hate them boiled for hours on end but if I lightly cook them they're fine and grown and cooked by myself they're quite pleasant. Same with cucumbers, shop bought are often disgusting, freshly picked home grown ones a great for simply snacking on.

Freshly picked home grown veg and fruit is so much better, I agree. Our sweetcorn, last year, was sweeter than anything I had ever tried from the shop; carrots just burst with flavour; tomatoes make shop-bought ones taste watery ....

Woody girl

Mar 31, 2018
Exmoor
Mushy peas,
Coffee,
custard,
Pork.
Fish roe, including caviar!
Curry..apart from a good korma,
Chill in anything...particularly chocolate..yeeuk!

I can't eat wheat, so that means bread, biscuits, pies etc are off the menu. I do miss those, particularly bread.

punkrockcaveman

Jan 28, 2017
yorks
Mushy peas,
Coffee,
custard,
Pork.
Fish roe, including caviar!
Curry..apart from a good korma,
Chill in anything...particularly chocolate..yeeuk!

I can't eat wheat, so that means bread, biscuits, pies etc are off the menu. I do miss those, particularly bread.
When you say pork, does that include bacon?

Woody girl

Mar 31, 2018
Exmoor
When you say pork, does that include bacon?
Pork meat of most types, including pork scratchings, which I used to love......except the very occasional slice or two of bacon.
Camping isn't camping without bacon, so I have it three or four times a year. A bacon sarnie was my secret guilty pleasure, but as I can no longer eat bread, its not a thing I do any more .
I was camping this weekend and I did make a bacon, tomato, red pepper, onion, and mushroom omelette for breakfast....gorgeous. but a lot of work for breakfast for one, when you want to get out and do stuff.

• Love
Reactions: punkrockcaveman

Scottieoutdoors

Settler
Oct 22, 2020
Devon
@Woody girl
I'm sure I'm preaching to the choir, but you know there is lots of wheat flour alternatives and you seem adept at making stuff - I'm sure you could bake your own bread if you didn't want to go down the wheat free bread route.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Gluten free bread is awful, it really is. I bake, and I've tried every recipe out there.
It's not 'bread'. It'll make a sandwich, make toast, but it's not a good sandwich, it's not good toast.
I miss real bread.

I don't get this fixation folks have with loving bacon. The very smell of it makes me want to be sick.
There are claims that bacon is the one thing that brings vegetarians back to eating meat. Well, I haven't eaten meat in 40 years and I don't have any inclination to eat bacon. I know a heck of a lot of vegetarians and vegans and even those weird 'bacon bits' that are made from something vegan hold no appeal. We reckon they're made to appeal to the meat eaters doing the meatless Monday stuff.

I can truthfully say that I have never, ever, craved meat.

Fruit though ? :) or bread ? even cheese, but not meat.

Just as well we're all different; that way there's something for all of us to eat :)

Reactions: SaraR

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
Yep, I agree. I had to go on a gluten free diet for about 6 months; the one thing that I missed above all else was a nice crusty loaf of bread. We (yes we!) managed to make pretty decent pastry and cakes etc. but bread was a real disappointment.

I'll be honest, bacon for me has to the right type. I cannot stand any with loads of white fat on it :( - lean and just verging on 'crispy' (but not dry) is how I like it. But I rarely bother with a fry-up if I'm camping especially if I'm journeying - there's far to much to get on with than making an issue out of breakfast (and the subsequent greasy clearing up). I can get back on the water, while the mist is still rising, an hour before the 'fry-up breakfast' brigade :)

Scottieoutdoors

Settler
Oct 22, 2020
Devon
@Toddy
I'm not sure on prices, but in Sainsburys there is a Warburton tiger bloomer gluten free... hands down, the best GF bread I've ever had. I had someone ask me if I'm sure it's gluten free as it's too good to be GF..

ONE

Nov 21, 2019
N. Ireland
Through cooking occasionally for my mum's gluten sensitive chum I discovered pupusas, a sort of savoury pancake cum muffin from El Salvador made with tortilla flour. They're actually quite good as long as you eat them straight off the griddle. Easy enough to make innawoods too.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
@Toddy
I'm not sure on prices, but in Sainsburys there is a Warburton tiger bloomer gluten free... hands down, the best GF bread I've ever had. I had someone ask me if I'm sure it's gluten free as it's too good to be GF..
It's foam, sorry, but it's foam. It is certainly among the best of the gluten frees, but it's not bread.
I like real bread. Hand made bread, bread you can get your teeth into, not stuff that dissolves in your soup.

M

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Through cooking occasionally for my mum's gluten sensitive chum I discovered pupusas, a sort of savoury pancake cum muffin from El Salvador made with tortilla flour. They're actually quite good as long as you eat them straight off the griddle. Easy enough to make innawoods too.

Now see, that sounds interesting :) I find the flat breads, the Indian and Mexican ones to be good food :)
I have good tortilla flour, I'll have a look for a recipe.
Thank you :thumbsup:

TLM

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 16, 2019
Vantaa, Finland
Local stores seem to stock more and more oat bread which done properly is without gluten. I think almost all our bread is that. I like buckwheat based bread too, certainly very good as crepes or galettes.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I have a decent oat bread recipe, but it's like rye, y'know ? It's dense, but it lacks that essential chew of good wheat bread. I do like oats in or on my bread though.

Like Woody-girl, I manage, and I do occasionally indulge in good bread, but the body gives me hell for it if I do it much :sigh:

I eat a lot of oatcakes, the Scottish cracker type ones, instead. Not fond of rice cakes, nearest thing to biting into a sheet of polystyrene that I can imagine, but corn thins are okay. Kind of like crunchy firmly squished popcorn, iimmc ?

Wander

Native
Jan 6, 2017
Here There & Everywhere
Ooo, I tell you what I don't like (and what's been mentioned on here a few times) - a fry up.
I can't abide fried food.
Not for health reasons (although that's fair enough) I just don't like fried food.
Stir fry, yes.
But deep fried or sizzling in a pan with an inch of oil...no.
Eggs have to be poached, bacon (and sausages) grilled.
I can't abide fry ups. Hate the smell. Hate the look as well. Hate greasy food in general - it makes me feel dirty, and not in the good way.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE