What do you keep in your billy?

mousey

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 15, 2010
NE Scotland
I have three billy cans which nest, but I tend to keep them separate and store food in them to stop it from being bashed to dust in my bag. How many billy cans I take depends on how long I'm out for and how hungry I'm likely to be.

Well I do not keep any Burners or fuel in the billy so it doesn't taint the food
So in the main bit is Brew kit in sachets ie 3 in 1 coffee, Hot chocolate, and some Condiments Salt / Chilli powder Ketchup. plus a Ferro rod and striker

I got fed up with tipping it in and out to use and a mate made up a cordura Bucket that fits in exactly so i can just lift it in and out

in the second bit ( 12cm Zebra ) i have a pot lifter handle which is cut down to fit
and 2 lengths of chain to hang the pot from a tripod etc
plus a copper ring for bagels and donut baking

Hobo3.jpg

Hobo4.jpg

hoboBAn3.jpg

Hobopizza2.jpg

Thoth

Nomad
Aug 5, 2008
Hertford, Hertfordshire
I sometimes carry a candle lantern with a glass mantle so this often goes into the top 'tray/bowl' to keep it safe from harm plus a pot-lifter, suspention chain & teacloth (the teacloth also stops things rattling). I keep a 10 litre waterbag in the main pot plus some brew-kit.

Corfe

Dec 13, 2011
Northern Ireland
Penny stove, meths container (small nalgene 200mls), spoon, cleaning rag (as with Thoth, it stops things rattling), and a box of matches. Mind you, my billy is only 10cms. I have it in a cloth bag with the hobo, and on top is a pot-holder. Keep meaning to cut it down, but it's pretty comfortable to hold as is. Pretty bare and humble set-up, but it works. The meths is for those times when I can't be bothered to gather twigs etc. I am in awe of some of the setups above.

Ahjno

Vice-Adminral
Admin
Aug 9, 2004
Rotterdam (NL)
www.bushcraftuk.com
What I keep in my billy? Basically all the little stuff that I don't carry in my pockets, or I can't squeeze in my pack top lid compartment. I don't bother whether or not it's cooking kit. It's a means of transportation, in camp I reconfigure as and how I need it ATM itself.

mholland

Jan 3, 2013
cheltenham
Not so much a billy, but in my pan, i carry all my cooking kit, so gas canister, wind shield, stove, lighter/ferro rod, and a tripod support. Oh and a folding spork

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE