What do you do when it's raining?

Tony

White bear (Admin)
Admin
Apr 16, 2003
Wales
www.bushcraftuk.com
I'm out later today cooking fish and it's lashing down, I don't really feel like it but i'm committed so I'll go off and do it, maybe the weather will clear. It got me thinking though about what other people leek yourselves do when it's raining, do you stay in, continue out, change your activity or veg in front of the TV?

I'd like to go and tidy my workshop :D

Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
I'm Scottish, I just head out into the rain. :)

qxEVhvz.jpg

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Good boots, decent waterproofs and just get out in it when I can.
It's impossible to garden in the weather when the ground is beyond saturated and is sitting with water on top, but I get bits and pieces done as it dries. I go for a wander mostly between showers.
I also do a 'lot' of sewing…..but I'm eyeing up the willows and know I need to prune them this week and stook the rods for drying. They'll need to go into the greenhouse or the lock-up, there's nowhere else outside for them just now.

M

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
I have a Springer, Molly, which some here are familiar with and she needs an absolute minimum of 8 miles a day and I wouldn't be able to face myself if she didn't get at least that every day, Winter and Summer.

As I'm getting older the temptation to skip a walk now and then in the worst of the weather becomes increasingly attractive, but I fear that would be the thin end of the wedge so I always go. Once underway, and certainly when I get back home, the feeling of duty done is incredibly rewarding, and in any case I never fail to enjoy the walks immensley as soon as I'm out the door :)

Post #2 is great, Sandbender!

GGTBod

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 28, 2014
I strangely really enjoy cycling in the pouring rain, the heavier the better as long as the wind is not above 20mph

Dave

Hill Dweller
Sep 17, 2003
Brigantia
You got a dog, you got no choice, youve gotta take him out. There are days when you really really dont want to though. Especially with so much mud. a nice frost would be a welcome change.

Youre committed to cooking fish in the rain today? Whats that about?

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Not really a regular pattern. It all depends on what the plans were and what kind of "rain" it is. Some activities are actually better in a light rain, others not so much. There's also the difference between said light rain and a proper thunderstorm.

Last edited:

Tony

White bear (Admin)
Admin
Apr 16, 2003
Wales
www.bushcraftuk.com
Well, I called them up and they said a chicken had just got blown past the house and we should do it monday, so I spent the whole afternoon working on bcuk,not quite what i'd had in mind :D

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
I play indoors.

However here its raining at least 75% of the time (and the fine bits are mere lulls between more rain) I have lots of things to do.

Like college work

Robson Valley

On a new journey
Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
Nothing quite like really bad weather to get me into the kitchen to bake bready things beyond the usual bread loaves for the week. Venison pepperoni in focaccia baguettes is up next. The rest of the day for wood carvings, several on the go so no end of choice.

Klenchblaize

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 25, 2005
Greensand Ridge
As I have something of a fetish for "high heels on wet pavements" it's probably best I leave this one to your imagination.

K

Dec 10, 2015
South Wales
If I have planned todo some thing outside I genrally carry on with it. Living by the lakes if I only went out on nice days I would be able to count them on my hands :lmao:

dwardo

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
If i have a trip planned its weather regardless or I would never get out the house. This weekend though forecast was a shocker so we went up to the Royal armory in Leeds.
Fantastic day out and it is a whole day. Shame we arrive later than expected but will be going back soon. Highly recommended. My little lad loved it.

20160220_160358_zpsfldcbgnq.jpg

bobnewboy

Native
Jul 2, 2014
West Somerset
SWMBO and I went out to harvest some pea sticks and a few nice walking stick staves for future rainy days. Then a brew-up on the Kelly kettle and a sarnie. Nice to get out in the fresh air, as my cabin fever has been ramping up recently.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE