What did you forage today?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Tantalus

May 10, 2004
Galashiels
be interested to know results x
The roots or the salad?

Stuff grows like a -wait for it...- weed. Collecting a few pulled roots in autumn and putting them in some sandy soil, they are pretty much guaranteed to come into leaf at the very first signs of spring.

If it is roots you are after instead then pulled weeds from now till the start of summer will fatten up gloriously till autumn if just pushed into the soil.

demented dale

Dec 16, 2021
hell
The roots or the salad?

Stuff grows like a -wait for it...- weed. Collecting a few pulled roots in autumn and putting them in some sandy soil, they are pretty much guaranteed to come into leaf at the very first signs of spring.

If it is roots you are after instead then pulled weeds from now till the start of summer will fatten up gloriously till autumn if just pushed into the soil.
Interesting , i never think to cultivate wild edibles. some one on here was growing pignuts which were easy to harvest. I belting idea given what a faff it is to get one in th wild. I say that but I did transplant some sweet cicely and wild strawberry of late, the strawberry took and then I discovered heaps of them nearby, the sweet cicely I am awaiting this spring with interest. x

demented dale

Dec 16, 2021
hell
Interesting , i never think to cultivate wild edibles. some one on here was growing pignuts which were easy to harvest. I belting idea given what a faff it is to get one in th wild. I say that but I did transplant some sweet cicely and wild strawberry of late, the strawberry took and then I discovered heaps of them nearby, the sweet cicely I am awaiting this spring with interest. x

slowworm

May 8, 2008
Devon
Yes, I just pick the top tips from the young nettles you see at this time of year. Rinse to get out anything, drain and throw in a curry for a few mins. Quite a large amount cooks down a fair bit.

Tomorrow they will go into a ramsons and nettle quiche.

demented dale

Dec 16, 2021
hell
today went for a nature walk. i found ivy leafed toadflax, bittercress, hogweed shoots, dandelion, . primrose,young nettles, blackthorn blossom and couple of plantains. I dont generally forage as a rule but I keep learning more and more about the subject. I do a little exercise where I see if I could find enough to survive on the particular day that I'm out. Most months there is wild food growing but late november, dec, jan and feb it is harder to find. I guess hunter gatherers may have headed to the lakes or sea shores then and those that were stationary would have preserved food from the leaner months. x
ps also saw some incredible cherry blossom which was a joy to look at.

Last edited:

demented dale

Dec 16, 2021
hell
lots of wood sorrel here and in flower and a great deal of goosegrass/cleaver shoots. i made a drink out of them last year. tasted like pea juice and good for you i'm told.

Reactions: William_Montgomery

demented dale

Dec 16, 2021
hell
Found some stitchwort in flower this morning and some violets. I left them where they were. There is very little nutrition in flowers and leaves anyway and I'm reminded of the what will nourish us mantra of "Roots, shoots and fruits" x

Reactions: William_Montgomery

demented dale

Dec 16, 2021
hell
What did you find, forage and use from nature today.
I found and ate wood sorrel, penny/navel wort and 3 cornered leek. I also found but didnt eat lesser celandine and primroses. And I tapped a birch tree using a new method I've not tried whereby a branch is tapped and not the trunk. x
I was down the spring today getting water and found loads of water cress. Had a taste and it was really nice. A very tasty wild edible x

demented dale

Dec 16, 2021
hell
I was down the spring today getting water and found loads of water cress. I had a nibble and it was really nice. A very tasty wild edible x

Last edited:

demented dale

Dec 16, 2021
hell
A few days ago now but nettles and ramsons.
Nettles with scrambled eggs.
Ramsons with cheese and smoked sausage.
that sounds good. i never think to be inventive with wild food. I'll be honest, whilst I have a decent knowledge of foraging I rarely indulge and prefer pizza, ice cream and sweets,
Ps just looking out of my tent at a pair of chaffinches foraging on the ground. Male and female. They don't know I'm watching. Striking colors, I just had a gratitude tingle. x

Watch-keeper

Life Member
Sep 3, 2013
London
that sounds good. i never think to be inventive with wild food. I'll be honest, whilst I have a decent knowledge of foraging I rarely indulge and prefer pizza, ice cream and sweets,
Ps just looking out of my tent at a pair of chaffinches foraging on the ground. Male and female. They don't know I'm watching. Striking colors, I just had a gratitude tingle. x
I too find the best forage in pizza or ice cream shops, always reliable. Being inventive with wild food has its ups and downs nettle-scrambled eggs is a good combo but put the nettles in the pan first so they wilt a bit or they can be a bit scratchy on the way down.
Winner on the Chaffinches :)

Woody girl

Mar 31, 2018
Exmoor
Made this years supply of wild garlic butter, now sitting in the freezer, and after foraging some pine nuts from the shop.. (ouch! pricey), some wild garlic pesto.
Cheesy wild garlic, omelette for tea.
Harvested a few of the bulbs from my garden patch to use in a stew tomorrow.
Picked some lemon balm to dry for teas, drinking it fresh in the evening with local honey to help me sleep like a log.
Primrose flowers have been sugared, and are now drying for cake decorations.

demented dale

Dec 16, 2021
hell
Made this years supply of wild garlic butter, now sitting in the freezer, and after foraging some pine nuts from the shop.. (ouch! pricey), some wild garlic pesto.
Cheesy wild garlic, omelette for tea.
Harvested a few of the bulbs from my garden patch to use in a stew tomorrow.
Picked some lemon balm to dry for teas, drinking it fresh in the evening with local honey to help me sleep like a log.
Primrose flowers have been sugared, and are now drying for cake decorations.
not bad. good effort WG x

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE