What did you buy today?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
Herself took me to Go Outdoors to pick up some regatta pull over fleece shirts while they are 12 quid for two. More for working in outdoors than bushy stuff as I've a decent amout of Ridgeline fleeces . Still they are XXXL and a good OG colour and will stop me wrecking the good stuff. While there I topped up on Firedragon fuel tablets and got another cooker to go with a car kit.

Since we were in Blackburn we popped into Outdoor Action to see what was on the sale rails and got some excellent thermals for peanuts and replaced my missing Snugpak Snugnut Hat, hopefully that will now reappear and Herself can have the spare for the cars winter emergency kit. It was 11 quid under RRP which is as good a price as I've seen them.

Also got another Niteize S carabiner to go go on a shoulder strap, they have proved to be just so handy I love em!

One thing g I failed to find was a rwo egg carrier. I'll have to Internet one.

At

Tom

cbrdave

Dec 2, 2011
South East Kent.
Bought a rucksack and a knife from members on here, knife turned up today, nice little edc, hoping the ruck sack will be here Monday, 2 jet boil canisters, some composite tent pegs and a puller from go outdoor.

Reactions: FerlasDave

Dougster

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 13, 2005
The banks of the Deveron.
Popped into the outdoor pursuits shop in Blackburn and picked up for a song a about 45 litre Macpac bag. I've just replaced my bushy daybag and it's quite robust and heavy for its size and not especially well suited to go with my lightweight walking kit so I've been looking for something light and without the bells and whistles.

What it is is the Macpac UK rep gets samples of kit, sometimes in non standard colours or with new features to take to the shops to get feed back before they go into production. So what I've got is, I think, a roll top Macpac in three shades of green with lots of interesting little details that as far as I can make out never went into production. It has the generic Macpac markings but no model name or volume, no hand book and was possibly made in NZ rather than China.

It's very well made, has a removable thick wire frame which would reduce the weight even more, has a internal waterbag pocket and tube vent. There's a large map pocket on the front and a smaller one on the roll up collar. Pics would help.

View attachment 71786

View attachment 71787

View attachment 71788

View attachment 71789

I've had a good poke about and not found a production version. I don't think I've bought a pup. I'm tempted to tape up the water tube vent as with the seams all taped it's the only place water can get in once the lid is rolled up. Then again air needs to escape somewhere or I may pop the thing! The external pockets on either side and on the waist belt all have sewn in drain holes.

The back length is nominally size two but when I test fitted it in the shop it seamed plenty long enough for me, my other macpacs being size 3s although I have the adjustable ones set as short as they go. I'm six foot with relatively short legs by the way.

I'm hoping it will be weatherproof enough not to need a drybag liner, further lowering the weight I'm hauling.

The belt is on the short side ( rather than me being too fat of course ) but the design means I can take the two sides off the buckles and swap in longer pieces of 1.5inch webbing without much faffing.

OK not really bushy but it is green!

ATB

Tom
Lucky blighter. Love a macpac. Almost cried when my 25 yo Glissade fell apart.

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
Where from and how much did that set you back?

Its from the Lumintops shop

And its cost rather a pretty penny or Ten.

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
Lucky blighter. Love a macpac. Almost cried when my 25 yo Glissade fell apart.
Still got my Glisade, had to have the plastic bits of the back system sorted and I got it the year it was only available in a awful purple colour. Couldn't afford to replace it now.

The lousy colour has meant I've always used a (green) rain cover which has helped keep it in good nick. I've even still got the matching bumbag/ side pocket, side pocket and reservoir carrier. All got pre kids before they ate all the money.

Outdoor Action always seam to have even standard stuff at a discount. They always have a lot of samples/ pre production bits in from various companies. When herself was with me last Saturday she overheard a boss type telling another customer that they would be receiving a warehouse full of Caghoppers stuff this coming week so there would be some bargains to be had.

I've only actually worn out one Macpac and that took 20 odd years, I used that for every thing not just outdoors pursuits , that Aztec cloth is a tough as old boots. I cut any reusable panels off and they are buried in with the spare fabric crates.

Over 30 years I've ended up with 4 Macpacs of different sizes/ uses which are still in use, one worn out and one palmed off on the wife as it was bought on a whim as dirt cheap but was a gaudy sort of salmoney red colour and was meant for climbing with loops for crabs and other technical features which made me feel vaguely a fraud as I've ever climbed or wanted to in my life. At least herself was doing SRT while caving at the time.

There's a Macpac baby carrier in the to ebay pile, not the one I used for our kids, i flogged that off when the youngest was too big for it and guess what, bought a shiny new 50 litre Macpac with the money. This one is the next down in the series I saw for peanuts in a charity shop in Colne. I had a vague idea to turn it into a man pack carrier for shifting things like full jerrycans or camp ovens but its in too good condition and has all the bits that go with. Come to think of it there's a couple of old school external frame rucksacks to get rid of and a couple of '44 pattern manpack carriers i could cobble together if required.

Ordered a Coghlans 2 egg carrier from Amazon 2 days back, they claimed to have handed it to the house holder at 1 yesterday when everyone was out between 11 and 4.30, no photo evidence either. So much for Amazon Prime. We've had some BS reply from them and there's no actual hurry as it's still too cold here to do a outdoors fry up unless you like your eggs to go cold in the time it takes to go from pan to mouth but saying stuff was delivered when it couldn't have been is annoying.

Atb

Tom

cbrdave

Dec 2, 2011
South East Kent.
Bought a Nikko Sleeping bag for a fiver from a nice lady on facebook, apparently her son is a rep for a camping store and has a room in her house full of stuff all new and unused, the son has moved abroad for a new job and told her just get rid, picking it up tomorrow and i'm allowed to have a look in there to see what else i'm interested in, Going to take some extra money, I may be filling my truck up.
Also bought a Jetboil flash from a member on here.

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
Say what? Can I get that in Pound Sterling or Euros, please?

30 bob is 30 shillings in old UK money or £1 10 shillings; the shilling changed into 5p in 71, so, 30 bob is 30 x 5p = 150p or £1.50

Imaging, as a kid, coming back from abroad using a decimal coinage and metric weights to have to sit the 11 plus (entry exam to higher school) using units of 12 and 20 for money, and 16 and 14 for weights - I failed :)

• Haha
Reactions: Laurence Milton

punkrockcaveman

Jan 28, 2017
yorks
20220209_112847.jpg

Pfeil curved gouge, I've been waiting a couple of months now for one of these to come up 2nd hand. Hopefully it will make my first kuksa

henchy3rd

Settler
Apr 16, 2012
Derby
Decided to get back into long distance walking & hiking..starting with the Welsh west coast path in early May.
So decided to try some lightweight gear out & dug deep into my pockets.
Splashed out on..
khaki 3L UF Lanshan plus..four season T-door lightweight tent.
Trekology trek Z walking poles.
Thermarest neo air & a tiny flextailgate battery gizmo that inflates & deflates the bed+ it has a handy light on it too.
Echo trail shoes.
Mountain equipment Ibex mountain trousers.
Tog 24 down jacket.
MSR pocket rocket 2 stove.
osprey exos 58 rucksack on order Rab ascent 500 sleeping bag.
Was going to buy a new waterproof jacket & trousers.. decided to wash & reproof my 23 year old berghaus pack lite ones with nikwax, there now like new & work great.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE