What did you buy today?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
1 Small whole chicken cos they wouldn't let me buy 2 and there was nothing else on the shelf's or in the Freezers.
My local stores have been sold out of fresh chicken for several day. Likewise most frozen chicken. Yesterday I bought a small frozen turkey instead (slightly over 11 pounds) which we’ll cook this weekend. It’s thawing in the fridge as I write.

Last edited:

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
I have run out of fruit of all sorts. Needed to chop the last tomato with yesterday's breakfast.
I wonder what I will find to buy today. Lots of meats and bready stuff in the big freezer.

Forest fella

Jul 2, 2008
Gloucestershire
I'm going out for a yomp in the morning so I'll have a look out for wild treats to munch on and share with my neighbours, But saying that I will probably have to throw it over there fence.

Herman30

Native
Aug 30, 2015
Finland
Put in a couple of orders for:

-MTP Osprey water bottle pouch, for carrying the stainless steel dutch mess tin + gas burner (hopefully it will fit, it´s a bit unsure).
-Tasmanian Tiger bottle holder (for Nalgene bottle + a cup.).

Both of these will be attached to the bag in post #5,698 in this thread.

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
I'm developing a personal reference collection of books which display the art, carvings and artifacts of the native peoples of North America.
This includes the complete range of bushcraft spears, traps, flint and other stone tools. Bows, many pages of arrows detailing the fletching.

Oddball, second hand, coffee table volumes from museums, those sorts of things. Some very old some quite new.
While I'm not interested in new ideas for wood carvings, a lot of the illustrations give away technique and that does interest me.
Big and little, perhaps a couple dozen volumes so far. Even classical artists like Emily Carr who painted the west coast for decades.

The Canadian Geographic Society published a 4 volume set (2018) called "The Indigenous Peoples Atlas of Canada".
The paper quality (heavy kaolin clay) is meant for high resolution color printing and they did not miss the mark.
> Indigenous Canada
> Inuit
> First Nations
> Me'tis

Well, the boxed set of 4 volumes arrived today. Breath-taking illustration and text. Pray for your major libraries to hold a copy.
a) the publication price is $99.99CDN
b) free shipping. The damn thing weighs 3.2 kg plus the box.

• Wow
Reactions: Mark Baigent

dave53

On a new journey
Jan 30, 2010
wales
87b09de114de06a743a2a676771fffff.jpg

The boxes on the left are wooden shaving soap£21 each paid £2.99 each the mushroom book by DK was 50pand silver plated photo album 50p not a bad haul

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Reactions: Code 4

Corso

Aug 13, 2007
none
nowt for me

trying to track down a copy of this but I suspect i'll have to wait can only find them in the US

91Bv50kwaBL.jpg

Paul_B

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
Where do you buy these things? Since lockdown I'd have thought shops selling kit will be closed. Even online stores have stopped shipping.

Paul_B

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
Lockdown at work where we're all furloughed. In what way is quarantine not alarmist but lockdown is? I reckon if you're in a quarantine situation most people probably think of the film outbreak or other similar virus based thrillers.

Laurence Milton

Settler
Apr 7, 2016
suffolk
"lockdown" the confining of prisoners to their cells, typically in order to regain control during a riot.
"quarantine" A quarantine is a restriction on the movement of people and goods which is intended to prevent the spread of disease .

One is accurate, the other not?

Reactions: Robbi

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
"lockdown" the confining of prisoners to their cells, typically in order to regain control during a riot.
"quarantine" A quarantine is a restriction on the movement of people and goods which is intended to prevent the spread of disease .

One is accurate, the other not?
Lockdown was also the term used when we were restricted to base before deployments. It’s also used when students are confined to their areas until an emergency passes (Mass shooter, tornado, whatever)

Language changes. The word outgrew the prison definition long, long ago.

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
And back to what we bought...

Last night I finally succumbed to a long standing temptation, well, three actually.

I wanted a better way to flatten my water stones, but also to dress some ceramic stones, and maybe a hard Arkansas. At the same time, I wanted something fast cutting in the 300-500 grit range. After much review reading and soul searching (plus some checks of exchange rates and suspicion that availability will fall and prices rise ) I ordered an Atoma surface plate and Atoma two diamond surfaces from Axminster. 140 grit and 400 grit.

In addition, I ordered two saws from ClassicHandtools, a David Barron dovetail saw, to go with the saw guides that I have had for years, and a KnewConcept 5" basic fretsaw, because I am totally fed up with trying to learn cutting joinery with a £10 jeweller's saw that won't put enough tension on the blade.

Last week I received a pair of Spyderco Ceramic stones from a chap on Edge Matters, Fine and Ultrafine, for the price of a Fine new.

I know I have somewhat too many sharpening tools for the amount of wood work I actually do, but they have been collected over the course of more than 25years and it is interesting seeing how different stones and abrasives work for different steels and different jobs.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE