What did you buy today?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

NS40

Nomad
Nov 20, 2011
Scotland
So far with my powerbank from one full charge I've charged 6 smartphones (my personal mobile twice, work phone, wife & 3 kids phones once each), my nexus 7 tablet twice and a set of bluetooth headphones. After that 2 out of 4 lights were still on (in fact the 3rd light only went out about 15 mins before I was done).

My previous powerbank was 12,000mAh but could only charge a smartphone 2-4 times and wouldn't do anything for my tablet.

So far I'm feeling pretty confident with this one, especially given the reviews from a variety of sources. I'm doing my usual 'checking to make sure I'm getting what I paid for' testing though before I even think about throwing the packaging away...

Robmc

Nomad
Sep 14, 2013
St Neots Cambs
..................So far I'm feeling pretty confident with this one, especially given the reviews from a variety of sources. I'm doing my usual 'checking to make sure I'm getting what I paid for' testing though before I even think about throwing the packaging away...

My wife insists I do the same with the packaging! But I too am pretty confident. I just need to find a suitable pouch now to keep the unit and cable in.

cbr6fs

Native
Mar 30, 2011
Athens, Greece
Be impossible to say 100% without cracking one open to have a look, but the vast vast majority of these power packs use 18650 cells.

According to Amazon the device is 16 x 8 x 2.2 cm and 449g
A 18650 cell is 1.8cm in diameter, so in theory you could fit 8 x 18650's in that case.

If we take the stated capacity then it'll be 22,400mAh divided by 8 = 2800mAh per cell

Not a common size 2800mAh but there are some 4.3v 2800mAh cells knocking about, could also be 2900mAh but they're being cautious with the capacity.

As i say impossible to say 100% without opening it, as it could have a soft cell battery rather than 18650's, but it's feasible that the capacity is correct.

Cheers
Mark

NS40

Nomad
Nov 20, 2011
Scotland
.... I just need to find a suitable pouch now to keep the unit and cable in.

Same here..I'm going to have a nosey about on ebay & dx.com to see if they have anything suitable. My old powerbank was a perfect fit for a satnav case I found in Poundland but this one is a bit longer. I was going to look at the protective cases you can buy for portable external drives and see if they would fit. If I find one with the right dimensions, I'll post a link back here.

Also going to look for one for my sawyer min filter...my wife says I have an obsession with buying stuff...then buying bags/boxes/cases to put them in. I think she might be right!

Robmc

Nomad
Sep 14, 2013
St Neots Cambs
Same here..I'm going to have a nosey about on ebay & dx.com to see if they have anything suitable. My old powerbank was a perfect fit for a satnav case I found in Poundland but this one is a bit longer. I was going to look at the protective cases you can buy for portable external drives and see if they would fit. If I find one with the right dimensions, I'll post a link back here.

Also going to look for one for my sawyer min filter...my wife says I have an obsession with buying stuff...then buying bags/boxes/cases to put them in. I think she might be right!

Thanks, I would also be interested in whatever you find for the Sawyer too!

And just to keep on topic, I bought the wife a Potato Ricer today! :D

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
That may be the case, but it certainly gets many good reviews (Outside Amazon as well), so as long as it does the job. Time will tell. But if that is the case (12,000 Ah) how do they get away with the false advertising?

So far I have charged my Samsung Galaxy S5 once and my Sony Xperia Tablet once and the unit is still showing fully charged, so I am very happy with the purchase.

I have a couple of these
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/390872933...49&var=660258867753&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT I have no idea whats in them, don't care either, but they charge my S5 and tablet without problems.

ADz-1983

Native
Oct 4, 2012
Hull / East Yorkshire
Thanks, I would also be interested in whatever you find for the Sawyer too!

And just to keep on topic, I bought the wife a Potato Ricer today! :D

The best replacement pouches for the Saywer are without a doubt the Evernew Water Carrier pouches. They fit the sawyer, come with attached lid and elastic band for rolling up and also much stronger than the Sawyer pouches. They're also see through so you can see the water inside.

I use 2x2ltr (One for dirty and one for filtered).

http://www.ultralightoutdoorgear.co...r-bottles-bags-c35/evernew-water-bottle-p3015

I have a couple of these
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/390872933...49&var=660258867753&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT I have no idea whats in them, don't care either, but they charge my S5 and tablet without problems.

Those are the clones of the PowerSeed brand of power bank. If you open up the case there will be two bags of sand inside and 2-4 batteries in between.

ADz-1983

Native
Oct 4, 2012
Hull / East Yorkshire
ivUG2be.png
Fjallraven Barents Pro Trouser

Jack Bounder

Nomad
Dec 7, 2014
Dorset
DD Hammocks XL Tarp. It arrived today and, I have to say, I surprised at how heavy it is. I know they state the weight on the website but I expected it to be closer in weight to my Vango Storm Shelter 400. I've just weighed the Vango Storm Shelter and it comes in at 550g. The XL Tarp (complete with cordage and pegs) weighs 1636g...so 3 times as much. It's not necessarily a problem but I was surprised nonetheless.

ADz-1983

Native
Oct 4, 2012
Hull / East Yorkshire
DD Hammocks XL Tarp. It arrived today and, I have to say, I surprised at how heavy it is. I know they state the weight on the website but I expected it to be closer in weight to my Vango Storm Shelter 400. I've just weighed the Vango Storm Shelter and it comes in at 550g. The XL Tarp (complete with cordage and pegs) weighs 1636g...so 3 times as much. It's not necessarily a problem but I was surprised nonetheless.

Get a Warbonnet Superfly or a Hammock Gear Cuben tarp instead ;)

Retired Member southey

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jun 4, 2006
your house!
Or you could get a hennessy hex fly, about £58 on Ebay. Comes with all guys and the guy I got my lot from threw in some snake skins. :D

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE