What Cordage, rope etc is in your kit?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Wayland

Hárbarðr
I carry a ball of jute garden twine for most things, cheap and biodegradable.

For anything I need better cord for I have a roll of 2mm polyamide from Decathlon.

It's cheaper and more compact than paracord, comes in a variety of colours including "trip yourself up green" and I've never managed to break the stuff yet.

I also carry a good length of 8mm static cord on my pack for stuff like rappelling on bad ground.

Last edited:

armie

Life Member
Jul 10, 2009
The Netherlands
In the distant past I bought some paracord because everybody praised it so much... but nowadays I use simple, strong, MUCH cheaper, braided nylon from a DIY shop for all my bushcraft purposes.

Bush_Man

Tenderfoot
Jun 25, 2010
Portugal
Always use paracord. It's not too thick but in handles some weight on it. Other good advantage is the flexibility of it...

EastSussexScout

Tenderfoot
Feb 27, 2010
Brighton
I just carry the cheap tracpac paracord that comes in 100m spools. i've seen a lot of threads slagging it off but tbh i'm a student, it's cheap and it can hold my full bodyweight. if i need it stronger i just double it up. i've used it to hold up my tarp and i've used it between my hammock and karabiner with no problems at all. Cheap and Cheerful!!

Amon81

Nomad
Mar 9, 2009
Birmingham
I keep about 30m of paracord in mine. I also keep a roll of cooking twine as it's great stuff for making things like netting with, not to mention cooking too.

iano

Tenderfoot
Mar 17, 2010
Wales
Paracord and that green string stuff you get issued (looks 'woolly') wrapped around a few chunky spare tentpegs each. Comms cord and normal brown household twine in my civvy kit - comms cord is almost like paracord just I discovered it's cheaper!

That's one type of strong cord if it's got to be tough (repairing something, hauling something up over a branch or whatever) and twine/string for all the niff-naff and trivia you don't want to be using pricey cordage on.

I have no climbing-type ropes or other kit since I have not done any climbing courses and it would only give a false impression of safety - the closest I get to that sort of thing is scrambling anyway so it shouldn't really be an issue - I much prefer hiking with some scrambling thrown in to the feeling of impending doom as I dangle on the end of a rope in any case :p

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE